Lost ssh password to hetzner server | PlexGuide.com

Lost ssh password to hetzner server

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Joker405

Citizen
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Well, long story short, I copied my root password to notepad, logged into the server and set up some things. Went and took a shower, came back and windows had done a random reboot and my password wasn't saved yet. My fault I know. However, is there a way to reset root password without loosing all my data? I seen some stuff online about resetting it, but it wasn't very clear if data would be lost. Thanks in advance for the help!

MP-JT

Citizen+
Staff
Donor
Apr 21, 2020
Resetting the server will indeed wipe all data. As far as I know there is no way to recover your password. But please correct me if I'm wrong

Joker405

Citizen
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
I was afraid of that. It's my fault - hard lesson learned. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user

Jhonny007

Noobz
Aug 14, 2019
You can recover your root password. (If you didnt encrypt your hard disk)
Boot the hetzner rescue system and then follow this guide: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000015925

Should work for any distro as there is nothing distro specific. If that does not work there is a way to edit the grub boot config file with a temporary root password.(disk access needed)

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending