Lost ssh password to hetzner server | PlexGuide.com

Lost ssh password to hetzner server

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Joker405

Citizen+
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jul 31, 2020
Well, long story short, I copied my root password to notepad, logged into the server and set up some things. Went and took a shower, came back and windows had done a random reboot and my password wasn't saved yet. My fault I know. However, is there a way to reset root password without loosing all my data? I seen some stuff online about resetting it, but it wasn't very clear if data would be lost. Thanks in advance for the help!

MP-JT

Active
Staff
Donor
Apr 21, 2020
Resetting the server will indeed wipe all data. As far as I know there is no way to recover your password. But please correct me if I'm wrong

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
Reactions: 1 user

Joker405

Citizen+
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jul 31, 2020
I was afraid of that. It's my fault - hard lesson learned. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user

Jhonny007

Noobz
Aug 14, 2019
You can recover your root password. (If you didnt encrypt your hard disk)
Boot the hetzner rescue system and then follow this guide: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000015925

Should work for any distro as there is nothing distro specific. If that does not work there is a way to edit the grub boot config file with a temporary root password.(disk access needed)

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending