Making your plexguide server also act as a vpn server for safer browsing? | PlexGuide.com

Making your plexguide server also act as a vpn server for safer browsing?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

tonycfromit

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Mar 16, 2018
Non Plex related question here. Not a request but just something I think I would like to try. Have you ever been in a place (lets say, riding on an Amtrak train with "free wifi" that blocks just about everything and is included in ticket price) where you really wish you could just connect to your PlexGuide server and do some browsing through a VPN tunnel? Well, this just happened to me and now I want to create something to make it easier for next time when I am doing the same next month.

Here is what I am thinking I would like to setup and do for future enjoyment:

1. I would connect to my hetzner server via OpenVPN with my phone, laptop or tablet for safety and security as well as limited anonymity of sorts.

2. (and/or situation here) I could connect with a browser to my Hetzner server which would be running an application that would enable me to use a remote browser-in-a-browser (like some sort of browser proxy) so I could watch youtube videos without being blocked by anything.

3. When doing these things, It would look like I was coming out of Germany instead of the US to the casual jackass who is sniffing me (I would imagine this would not work against anyone "serious" but just the casual scammer or network admin trying to keep me from looking at things because of my location) for location anonymity.

(On top of all of this, if possible, I would also like to be able to view Youtube videos geo-blocked from US with it and maybe run Youtube-DL to pull and save to a UnionFS folder. Even better would be If I could finagle it to where I could use BBC services that only allow UK logins, that would be a huge plus but I know this is probably not easily done.)

If these questions should not be asked in this forum, please move or delete (but let me know so I can not do it in the future) as needed.

Thanks!

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Installing a VPN is a 2 min job and has been posted on here (possibly by me?) and iirc integrated to a recent build in a much more user friendly manner. You would be restricted to the location of your server without using a further VPN/proxy to connect to another region.

Reactions: 1 user

tonycfromit

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Mar 16, 2018
Installing a VPN is a 2 min job and has been posted on here (possibly by me?) and iirc integrated to a recent build in a much more user friendly manner. You would be restricted to the location of your server without using a further VPN/proxy to connect to another region.
Just to make sure I understand, this would be a VPN server that I could connect my personal devices to, not a VPN client that would help give the PlexGuide server anonymity, right? If so, that is exactly what I am looking for! When I saw earlier VPN posts on here, I assumed they were a setup where your PlexGuide server was the client and your NewsGroups or IPTV provider was the server, so that is why I asked instead of searching. If that is not the case, that is good to know!

As for the "browser proxy" thing, I am bringing it up because something like this came built in to my QNAP device (but it works like crap) where I connect to a site that is really just a browser I can operate through my browser but is not limited by rules, so I could connect a browser that is blocked from accessing youtube to it and watch youtube that way. Is this even possible or anything anyone has heard of?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
A VPN server as in when you connect to it, you appear to be it and located where it is.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
yup, thanks @Datamonkeh - i added because my vpn expired and was in class and was like wait, i have a remote server; why not use that :D

pYTTH

Elite
Staff
Nov 1, 2018
basicly very good but there's one downside. if you have a hetzner server in germany and connect via vpn to it from the US you'll have latency and you'll be located in germany instead of USA.
so whatever you lookup will be as you where in germany. nothing bad about that it's just so you know.
if you don't mind paying for a VPN service where you can connect to the country you wish i'd go for a payed service (PIA VPN cost almost nothing) - no i'm not affiliated to them nor do i get payed to say that but been a customer for years now

YellowMonster

Citizen
Nov 29, 2018
basicly very good but there's one downside. if you have a hetzner server in germany and connect via vpn to it from the US you'll have latency and you'll be located in germany instead of USA.
so whatever you lookup will be as you where in germany. nothing bad about that it's just so you know.
if you don't mind paying for a VPN service where you can connect to the country you wish i'd go for a payed service (PIA VPN cost almost nothing) - no i'm not affiliated to them nor do i get payed to say that but been a customer for years now
That's the whole point for me, for that's what I need it for. Also for us Europeans not located in Germany it makes very little difference latency wise.

M

MrDoob

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending