thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
Good Morning,

I have followed the guide here: https://plexguide.com/news/wiki/backup-restore/

What I am seeing after mass restore (After setting up app guard, traefik, gdrive, rsync, portainer) is that the plexguide is "Seeing" the restored apps as shown below:
1544114114348.png

I have rebooted after restore, and cannot access the applications. I did NOT install the applications ahead of time before restore, I assume this is not required as part of the restore as it was not in the guide. When I go in portainer, they are not listed there at all:

1544114192542.png

My question is, where are these restored to and how come I can't see them in portainer? Should I have to install the application BEFORE restoring the data?

P.S. - Do not chose local SSD on your GCE instance because when you turn it off, it will ***NEVER*** be able to be turned back on again. Woops.
1544114287778.png

3days

PG Veteran
Jan 24, 2018
Reactions
6 0 0
Good Morning,

I have followed the guide here: https://plexguide.com/news/wiki/backup-restore/

What I am seeing after mass restore (After setting up app guard, traefik, gdrive, rsync, portainer) is that the plexguide is "Seeing" the restored apps as shown below:
View attachment 2319

I have rebooted after restore, and cannot access the applications. I did NOT install the applications ahead of time before restore, I assume this is not required as part of the restore as it was not in the guide. When I go in portainer, they are not listed there at all:

View attachment 2320

My question is, where are these restored to and how come I can't see them in portainer? Should I have to install the application BEFORE restoring the data?

P.S. - Do not chose local SSD on your GCE instance because when you turn it off, it will ***NEVER*** be able to be turned back on again. Woops.
View attachment 2321

Install the programs as normal from the plexguide install menu, and you are good.

meteo

PG Ambassador
Tech Support
Nov 6, 2018
OZ
Reactions
27 0 0
Yup, what 3days said. Basically backing up zips and copies all your setup and metadata from /opt/appdata.
Need to install the programs then when restoring backup it will overide the default settings and fill metadata.
First time I used the feature earlier this evening and was a little confused myself. Order of install does not matter.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
Install the programs as normal from the plexguide install menu, and you are good.

Thank you for your assistance. I have installed all three apps, redeployed the mass restore, rebooted, and each of the applications is blank with nothing restored. Sonarr and Radarr are blank and nzbget has default settings.

Please advise.

meteo

PG Ambassador
Tech Support
Nov 6, 2018
OZ
Reactions
27 0 0
Hmm strange. Haven't changed drive layout? googledrive backup files have data?
Assume process completed successfully with no errors? Perhaps try Solo App Restore.

Order of install doesn't matter, can restore before or after you have installed the apps.
Everything is kept seperately in the /opt/appdata folder as I mentioned in above post.

doublecheck the machine names are correct if you had multiple backups,
current id = new server name. restore id = backed up data server name.

thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
Hmm strange. Haven't changed drive layout? googledrive backup files have data?
Assume process completed successfully with no errors? Perhaps try Solo App Restore.

Order of install doesn't matter, can restore before or after you have installed the apps.
Everything is kept seperately in the /opt/appdata folder as I mentioned in above post.

doublecheck the machine names are correct if you had multiple backups,
current id = new server name. restore id = backed up data server name.
I wish I did something custom, that way it would be easier to narrow down!

• Installed plexguide (ubuntu 16.04 minimal)
  • setup rsync and drive
  • setup app guard (same user/pass as before)
  • setup traefik (same domain and api as before)
  • set instance name to be different from restore point
  • mass restore
  • install app
  • reboot
  • default installs
  • mass restore
  • reboot
  • no change
Above is the list in order that I went. Worst case I can setup Sonarr/Radarr manually and have it scan everything but that would be not preferred.

1544122622209.png

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

meteo

PG Ambassador
Tech Support
Nov 6, 2018
OZ
Reactions
27 0 0
All I can suggest from my experience is the following.
Keep app guard disabled initially, nothing but problems.
Keep instance name same as backup in case of script error.
Stick to Solo App Restore mode, again in case of script errors.

Perhaps the app-guard being enabled blocks stuff.
I'm sure admin will be back with a solution otherwise. :D

thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
All I can suggest from my experience is the following.
Keep app guard disabled initially, nothing but problems.
Keep instance name same as backup in case of script error.
Stick to Solo App Restore mode, again in case of script errors.

Perhaps the app-guard being enabled blocks stuff.
I'm sure admin will be back with a solution otherwise. :D
I will test this tonight in a few hours and report back. By Testing, I mean destroying and starting over.

thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
Update time! I decided to chose a different region, us-east and followed the steps and not enable appguard

• install plexguide
  • install/setup rsync
  • install deploy traefik
  • setup portainer
  • mass install sonarr radarr nzbget
  • validate installs work
    • HTTPS certs don't work and are defaulting to default traefik cert, so that sucks
  • reboot
  • deploy mass backup
  • reboot
  • sonar and radarr are bone stock without any configs restores
  • nzbget is now hosed as shown in screen shot.
Backup was from Sunday. If no one has any ideas, looks like I am recreating everything from scratch add letting sonarr/radarr scan the drive to import

1544147005504.png

thoughts/ideas?

thepj

PG Ambassador
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
25 0 0
I figured out why the restore wasn't working, and I don't think I can mark this as resolved. Might be a bug or an error in the restore configuration.

When the restore function restores sonarr, it places the files here: /opt/appdata/sonarr/opt/appdata/sonarr You are reading this right, it is duplicating "/opt/appdata/sonarr/" "opt/appdata/sonarr" twice. The correct path is actually "/opt/appdata/sonarr/". I am going to take a WILD guess and say this is the same for radarr (also not resotring until I did this) and NZBget (I just manually uploaded the backup conf). You can see on the screenshot the modified dates of the files as well to validate this:
1544201026570.png

I also created a separate instance, using a new domain name, and used 7.2.4 to test all of this (since that is what my backup was from). Traefik STILL is not working with that as well, and is giving the default cert so that is fun.