Discussion - /mnt/unionfs folders being created | PlexGuide.com

Discussion /mnt/unionfs folders being created

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

MoreMagnets

Citizen
Original poster
May 18, 2018
I keep getting the same set of folders created in my mount path and they are remade immediately when I delete them.

/mnt/unionfs/tv
/mnt/unionfs/movies
/mnt/unionfs/music
/mnt/unionfs/plexguide
/mnt/unionfs/plexguide/pgchecker.bin

Which process is creating these folders and file and how do I stop it?

barryclamsworth

Governer
Donor
Feb 2, 2018
I'm not 100% sure but if you don't want those paths I think you'd need to stop using plexguide.

They are pretty much the backbone of the operation.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
he's correct. it's default paths and recommended paths. the plexguide folders are def required for your backups including the .bin - without the .bin, your docker shuts down plex, sonarr, and radarr (this protects your plex from self erasing because the program checks for that .bin file every 2 minutes)

MoreMagnets

Citizen
Original poster
May 18, 2018
Can it be modified for this behaviour not to happen though? Plex self erasure can be handled with turning auto trash off. I have these folders in a different format (TV Shows, Movies, Music), can I change the paths to these?

hawk2g

Active
May 2, 2018
You can have any named folder in the /mnt/unionfs folder. E.G.
/mnt/unionfs/TV Shows/
/mnt/unionfs/Movies/
/mnt/unionfs/Music/

If you have existing media on your server, you can either use the "Import Media" tool in PlexGuide or move the folders into the /mnt/unionfs/ folder. Note that once it's been uploaded to gdrive, it will delete them from the local drive and read them from gdrive.
You should set your Plex to /unionfs/*MEDIA_FOLDER* , so when you download your stuff into there, Plex can read it as soon as it's downloaded.

Notes:
- unionfs folder is a merge of the /mnt/move folder and /mnt/gdrive folder (tdrive if using ST2).
- You cannot delete uploaded files on gdrive in the unionfs folder. Go to /mnt/gdrive if you want to delete things or use the google drive website.
- Put your media in the unionfs folder if you want it uploaded to gdrive. It actually goes in the /mnt/move folder for PG Move to handle.

Reactions: 1 user

Miguel

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Feb 6, 2018
Delete any folders you don't want from /mnt/move.
Don't delete the plexguide folder, yeah sure you can disable trash but if your mount goes offline plex will make everything unavailable and it will take a helluva long time for it to scan and mark everything available again, trust me.
Also yes you can delete files from unionfs and they will propogate to your gdrive, the only time this doesn't work atm is if you use encrypted.

jak64950

Citizen+
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
yeah sure you can disable trash but if your mount goes offline plex will make everything unavailable and it will take a helluva long time for it to scan and mark everything available again, trust me.
That's an easy fix by either restoring the last plex database or running an SQLite command. I personally agree with OP and don't think I shouldn't be able to delete those folders if so desired. If not using those folders then it just makes google drive look messy.

Miguel

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Feb 6, 2018
That's an easy fix by either restoring the last plex database or running an SQLite command. I personally agree with OP and don't think I shouldn't be able to delete those folders if so desired. If not using those folders then it just makes google drive look messy.
Or an easier fix by having your plex just go offline?

I agree it's messy, but it's not the end of the world.

Miguel

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Feb 6, 2018
Unionfs is not a synced copy of /mnt/gdrive.
Unionfs merges several folders so that everything from them appears in one folder which you then point your apps to.
So you could have content in your gdrive, content in your tdrive, content still on your server (mnt/move) and all those files will be available to plex.

I believe if you're using pgdrives then your media is uploaded to tdrive so you need it, if you're using plexdrive it gets uploaded to your gdrive so you don't need to set up the tdrive.

barryclamsworth

Governer
Donor
Feb 2, 2018
Plexguide is meant to be an all-in-one media solution that can be deployed by someone who has never used linux. It's meant to be started from a blank slate. Trying to blend it into an existing setup is a recipe for disaster. That said...

I'd think the easiest thing to do if you are wanting to use unique drive paths would be to create
your own personal fork of Plexguide and replace all these instances throughout the project. You could probably just do this with a script. Or if a bunch of people wanted to have their own options, to create a fork that used variables for these paths. If you wanted to go beyond changing the names of these paths and have extra categories you'd have a bit more work on your hands but I think it could be done.

From the FAQ, Item no 5.

https://plexguide.com/wikis/intro-a...er-google-drive-can-we-create-more-categories

Q: I noticed my categories are just /tv /movies /books /music under Google Drive. Can we create more categories?

For simplicity, it's recommend that you do not go beyond this. You can, but if you do; you are on your own. The goal of this script is to mass deploy gathering stuff you need and stuffing it in one drive. If you are going to create subs like /tv /anime or /tv/anime, just ensure that 1000:1000 owns the folder with chmod permissions of 775. Ensure that you follow proper naming schemes so if something says to put in /unionfs/tv and you want anime, setup as /unionfs/anime and make sure that the categories you create are like that. You should first ENSURE that the script is working and fetching shows as intended. If you do not, the edits you make may cause you problems along the way.

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending