Mounting Google Drive and Team Drive in Kodi Directly?

matt314159

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
6:05 PM
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure where to put this but the tl;dr is that my routes to the US from my Helsinki Hetzner PG server suck and don't allow direct-play of ultra high bitrate content like my 4K UHD Remuxes. However, mounting Google Drive locally inside my home network and bypassing the hetzner path fixes that just fine. I use an Nvidia Shield TV (2019 one arrives tomorrow but for today it's the OG 2015)

I created a thread in the server section about possibly creating a low-cost, low-power secondary PG server to mount my google account for my 4K libraries.

But then I saw another discussion here and got to wondering: would it work to simply install Kodi on my Shield and use the Google Drive plugin (it says it works with Google Drive and Team Drives)? It would completely cut out the middle-man and give me a direct path to my files. The Shield should be able to direct-play everything anyway.

Any pitfalls? I would be scared of the potential number of API calls the Kodi plugin could use and that sort of thing. I'm the only client who accesses these files, they aren't shared to any other users.

timetrex

Staff
Local time
12:05 AM
Oct 22, 2018
Belfast
You can use Kodi gdrive plugin to mount your gdrive.

The plugin creates strm files and monitors Your gdrive for any changes. If there is a Change, it will create strm file in your export directory.

The export directory wil be the library that you add to Kodi to scan. Kodi never scans your gdrive. The gdrive add-on will only monitor for change. The API calls are quite limited. No API bans.

I have 4k and 1080p libraries setup in Kodi. Some movies are duplicated, most 1080p are remux and I have some 4k content. In Kodi just set up playlist library and filter for 4k. I can navigate between 1080p and 4k releases easily.

Other than that, there is nothing else to it.

matt314159

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
Very awesome, thanks, I'll check it out. I am not sure if we're allowed to link on the forum so to make sure we're thinking about the same plugin, Google Drive for KODI 1.2.12 is the one I'm seeing. I did see a few other projects on github

I think this will be the cleanest way to playback the highest of the high bitrate stuff. a typical 1080P re-encode generally works fine directly from Hetzner on Plex, but when it starts to get super dicey is with the 100Mb/s+ content.

matt314159

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
Holy Mackerel!

I easily set up my google drive and team drives in Kodi and the 4K performs nearly as well as locally-hosted media. The difference astounds me compared to playing it through plex from my Hetzner server. The Remux of First Man takes about 5 seconds to load and begin playing, and more importantly, seeking is near-instant, like 1/2 a second or faster. Before, streaming even 1080p content from my Hetzner Finland server it'd be 7-8 seconds for the stream to start, then it would play fine, but if you fast-forwarded past the minute or two buffer buildup, or if you tried skip backward even 30 seconds, it would hang for 5+ seconds while it re-buffered and reestablished the stream. It got to where I didn't like to use the skip back function unless I really missed something important.

The difference is simply night and day. It's been a few years since I used Kodi exclusively (I switched to Plex in 2015) but I might just go back to Kodi exclusively for my home viewing of 4K and HD media.

My Hetzner PG server with Blitz can keep doing it's thing, filling my google drive and team drives with content, and its Plex instance can serve my 15 friends and family members, but I think--if I don't find any surprises or pitfalls after the honeymoon wears off--that I'm switching to Kodi for watching my movies and shows.
Post automatically merged:

I will have to keep an eye on stability. It did crash my shield once, but I think it had to do with the display-rate switching. I'd like to make sure that is working reliably, so it actually changes to 2160p24, etc.

Since the Google Drive plugin doesn't combine the shares, I had to set up a series of export folders and export each one into its corresponding folder for the strm files, so the resulting export folder structure looks something like this:

Kodi
-gdrive
----movies-4k
----movies
----tv-4k
----tv
-tdrive
----movies-4k
----movies
----tv-4k
----tv

Then had to use the Google Drive plugin to export each top-level folder (it creates the subfolders automatically).

Then it was kind of a pain in the a** setting up the libraries, since I had to add four sources for movies and four sources for TV shows.

Then, as @timetrex alluded to, I had to set up a smart filter. I did it by path, so if the path contains "tv-4k" or 'movies-4k" I can pull out and browse only my 4K content.

But so far, after an evening of testing, I am very, very pleased. Mainly I am just blown away at how responsive the playback is when seeking. It performs nearly as snappily as when I hosted everything locally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin9705

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
7:05 PM
Jan 17, 2018
it's great that your always exploring what's new out there. kodi back awhile ago was pissing me off due to crashing, but it's worth a look

Reactions: matt314159

matt314159

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
Oh weird I guess I replied in the wrong box so it thought I was double-posting and merged it with my above post. But yeah I say 100% worth playing with at least. Even if it doesn't work out to be everything I feel like it can be right now, I'm going to use it at least for the 4K playback which was my original goal anyway. But I think it can be more than that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.