Plex - Move Plex video preview thumbnails to Tdrive | PlexGuide.com

Plex Move Plex video preview thumbnails to Tdrive

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PG Sergeant
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Hi all. I noticed that I've been steadily running out of disk space on my Hetzner server. Upon inspection, I noticed that the Plex appdata directory is taking up about 140GB. I know this is probably because of video thumbnail previews.

Now, on the one hand I can simply delete all the previews and stop Plex from making new ones. However, I really like having them. So, is it possible to link that metadata directory (/opt/appdata/plex/database/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media/localhost) to the Tdrive with Portainer? Will it break things?

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PG Sergeant
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I read up a bit on that. Apparently symlinking would be so slow that it wouldn't be worth it. I don't know anything about symlinking though so I can't confirm.

Reactions: bretc

breakinthru119

PG First Class
Mar 10, 2018
Just fyi. I tried this. My media library is ~ 40TB and I had about 250gb of thumbnails. I hit the max number of files allowed in the team drive (400,000). I guess you could split the thumbnails between more than one team drive but that just complicates things.

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
@breakinthru119 250gb of thumbnails and you hit the file limit. That's crazy and interesting.

PM me your library size please so I can use this for comparison reasons in the future and some Wiki info. Thank you.

bretc

PG Sergeant Major
Aug 8, 2018
Would it matter if you put them on a separate team drive?

Just fyi. I tried this. My media library is ~ 40TB and I had about 250gb of thumbnails. I hit the max number of files allowed in the team drive (400,000). I guess you could split the thumbnails between more than one team drive but that just complicates things.

StudSeth

PG First Class
Donor
May 3, 2020
I know its not the solution you were looking for, but have you just considered optimizing your thumbnail images using lossy image compression? Even basic 60 quality compression can save you like 80% of the filesizes. A google search and some reading indicates most people are using something like this:

• Love
Reactions: Admin9705

ONEILL

PG First Class
May 2, 2019
i tried this a few months back , and got to the same point , where i hit the max number of files , i gave up , got a separate drive for the media library , because of the hassel of puting multiple tdrives to work

StudSeth

PG First Class
Donor
May 3, 2020
So the official recommendation is to not even have these turned on. Just a heads up:

1590165709073.png

Hitsville

PG Sergeant
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Yep and that's all it is. A recommendation.
I see the same thing said on the PG variants discord too.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Hitsville

PG Sergeant
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Well, that's just it. I don't. The same people said the same thing about VP thumbs in Plex as they now do about Intros. You dig deeper into and it's based on them last trying it on rclone 1.4 or something.
For me they scanned solidly for 2 months until they were all done.
But yeah sure caution is advised as with anything new.

Last edited:

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
All depends on how people have things set up and how much data they have. There are some crazy libraries here let's not forget.

We as a community just advise the best we can to everyone as a standard across the board.

I for one leave everything as is. Intros or thumbnails, I'll have them all.

Hitsville

PG Sergeant
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah totally understood.
I'm only at 160TB which is sizable but by no means top end.
Plus I have a love of Remux so despite the size I guess my file count will be far less than someone which a far smaller library.
I mean, hell 500 or so 4K HDR Remuxes accounts for 40 or 50TB. But My plex Opt is still around 320GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: bretc

bretc

PG Sergeant Major
Aug 8, 2018
Yeah totally understood.
I'm only at 160TB which is sizable but by no means top end.
Plus I have a love of Remux so despite the size I guess my file count will be far less than someone which a far smaller library.
I mean, hell 500 or so 4K HDR Remuxes accounts for 40 or 50TB. But My plex Opt is still around 320GB.
Wow. Mine is around 110 GB and it was making me nervous. :LOL:

Reactions: Hitsville

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
I like to keep mine at a manageable size. I hate it when those random low budget movies are just sitting there not being watched. I'm quite a movie buff so I know when a movie is worth keeping.

These posts always do make me laugh with the general gist sometimes being "mine is bigger than yours!"

Hitsville

PG Sergeant
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
I like to keep mine at a manageable size. I hate it when those random low budget movies are just sitting there not being watched. I'm quite a movie buff so I know when a movie is worth keeping.

As do I but for those movies I want the highest quality.
These posts always do make me laugh with the general gist sometimes being "mine is bigger than yours!"
Which other than the size of the Plex Opt folder hasn't happened here.

What actually makes me laugh is the fact that mention the other well-known variant to PG (by either its full title or initials) and its set to replace any mention of it with PG and PlexGuide. on these forums.
Just sad really.
But whatever.

BigT

PG First Class
Donor
May 23, 2020
Hi is there already a solution to move it from a dedicated server to gdrive?

bretc

PG Sergeant Major
Aug 8, 2018

Well his is definitely bigger than mine. ;)

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending