Plex - Multiple Parallel Plex Servers | PlexGuide.com

Plex Multiple Parallel Plex Servers

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

axlrod

Active
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
I would like to run more than instance of Plex in Parallel. Right now I need two but as they are discreet containers, as long as I have a discreet appdata directory it should not interfere or cross over with the main Plex server. How would I do that?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
It’s certainly possible, to all intents with separate config directories and containers you could run several, you’d just need to run them on different ports. But the bigger question is why? You can limit different users access to libraries and prevent things like transcoding while using separate libraries, so what’s the objective in running two instances?

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
I guess the only reason would be to bypass the max users for plex shares, but is there an easier way?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Thing is, the user account limit is 100 dedicated accounts, you can control those, restrict them and what they share etc. and a single account is potentially multiple devices. On top of that, you have the ability to pin individual devices without a dedicated account. With a user limit that high, it seems exceptionally unlikely that your average home user will run into a limit. I could tell you how the P4S players get round it, but that's not really relevant.

axlrod

Active
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
It was to provide an instance to a friend with full admin rights without having to run/pay for a second dedicated server.

kennsann

Experienced
Sep 14, 2019
I want to know if OP was able to achieve this? Or does anyone have a guide how to create another plex instant using pgblitz?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Just dupe the container, point data to /opt/appdata/plex2. If you want to prevent rescanning everything again copy /opt/appdata/plex to plex2 but delete preferences.xml from plex2 dir, or if you want your preferences to carry over edit it and delete the guids within.

Cthe1

Experienced+
Mar 5, 2019
Change the ports from Portainer and claim the server with a PLEX_CLAIM environment variable.

• PLEX_CLAIM The claim token for the server to obtain a real server token. If not provided, server is will not be automatically logged in. If server is already logged in, this parameter is ignored. You can obtain a claim token to login your server to your plex account by visiting https://www.plex.tv/claim

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending