Need help for Plex Server? | PlexGuide.com

Need help for Plex Server?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Cyb3rGh05t

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Feb 14, 2018
i moved to a new root server on netcup.de

i reinstalled plexguide from scratch an wanted to install an new plex server.

after installing plex from pg box core, i dont have the option to claim a new server. the setup wizard doesnt show up.

it goes straight to my account and says that there is now server available.

if i want to add a new server it asks me to download plex media server.

am i missing something?

can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong and what i need to do to claim a new server?

thanks in advance

M

MrDoob

1.) OS ?
2.) remote plex installed ?
3.) plex_pass member ?

Reactions: 1 user

Stryk3r

Experienced
Staff
Oct 26, 2018
When you install Plex did you pick the "remote" edition? When you do this it will give you a link to claim a new server, you have to paste it in a browser and then paste the claim code back into the terminal window. This creates a new server. Then when the install is finished it should boot up and you will go through the setup wizard.

Also if you want to start fresh, ensure that the /opt/appdata location has no plex folder. If there is one either rename it plex.old or delete it.

Stryk3r

Experienced
Staff
Oct 26, 2018
Pick the remote option , this is a remote server. That's your problem.

Cyb3rGh05t

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Feb 14, 2018
ok, but i want to make a new server? i dont want to use a remote server.

Stryk3r

Experienced
Staff
Oct 26, 2018
I'm trying to help you here..... I'm telling you what you need to do to make it work. You NEED to pick the remote option, and you can then claim the server using the link the installer provides. The server is NOT local, it's on netcup.de!

Cyb3rGh05t

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Feb 14, 2018
ok thanky very much and sorry for disturbing you

Stryk3r

Experienced
Staff
Oct 26, 2018
it's not disturbing, it's just annoying when you're telling someone how to fix a problem and they argue with you about the solution, lol. I'm glad I could help you out in the end (y)

Reactions: 1 users

SirTranceALoT

Governer
Staff
Jun 14, 2018
To make it a bit more clear, the difference between Local and Remote is simply either you install plexguide on a local machine (home) or remote machine (hetzner and all others). So if installing on a remote computer (not in your home) you need to pick the remote option.

Sejrup

Experienced
Jan 11, 2019
So if you install the local version on a machine inside you LAN, you will be able to create a new server here as well? This is what I tried, and I couldn't get that to work.

SirTranceALoT

Governer
Staff
Jun 14, 2018
No that would be a remote server too. For local you need to be on the physical machine. Remote is the system that you're not working on directly. Imagine your phone being the computer. you hold your phone in your hand. you're directly using it. That is a local machine. But, let's say it's on the table and you access it trough another computer using teamviewer, you'd then be using it remotaly.

SirTranceALoT

Governer
Staff
Jun 14, 2018
Yep. Subtle but nasty haha

AMMJ93

Active
Donor
Jan 7, 2019
No that would be a remote server too. For local you need to be on the physical machine. Remote is the system that you're not working on directly. Imagine your phone being the computer. you hold your phone in your hand. you're directly using it. That is a local machine. But, let's say it's on the table and you access it trough another computer using teamviewer, you'd then be using it remotaly.
Didn't figure that out all the time. Have used the Local version since the beginning and had to tweak some settings and files to get it to work properly. Time to do it in the proper way next time I redeploy.

Sejrup

Experienced
Jan 11, 2019
No same situation for me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to configure a new server because I always chose local as I have a dedicated server within my L(ocal)AN :)

SirTranceALoT

Governer
Staff
Jun 14, 2018
Well glad to be of service haha. No seriously, I had to learn and I think most of us here did (although some clearly fergot about that) the same way as you did. So cheers! On to a spotless install!

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending