Welcome to PlexGuide.com

Register & Join Our Community Today!

Register Log in

Netcup

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!
Thread starter #1

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
UPDATE - 19/05/18: Netcup have upgraded their servers and traffic limits, will update thread soon!!!

Hi all!

If you are like me and looking for a cross between a dedicated server and a vps that's cheap then root servers are the way to go!:)

I've been with Netcup for a few months now granted I was using it as a test server for this project so never fully put it to work as at the time I was using ZX Play (ZX Host) server to run Plex and Emby on.

Now that I got rid of my ZX Play server (due to their mistakes and I don't recommend them I'm sorry to say:() I have started to use my RS 2000 G7 SE 60GB SSD server, it only costs €16.99 per month and I used a discount voucher when I joined which gave me 5% off EDIT: it was actually €5 off my first order....plus you get 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it so might as well!;)
UPDATE: Netcup have upgraded their servers so have updated the images for the new specs!

Netcup.eu version
netcup.eu2.JPG
Netcup.de version (cheaper!;))
netcup.de2.JPG

rootserver-new.JPG

There is a VPS option too (see further down for new voucher codes!)
vps.JPG
If you do decide to try them then go for the SAS drive option as I have found 60GB to be very limiting if you plan to use Plex as well as Usenet.
This is due to Usenet unpacking the downloads and Plex metadata growth!
Update Note: I now have the RS 2000 G7 SE 480GB SAS server and can say that I'm very happy with it, I was only using the 60GB SSD version for testing purposes until the cancellation period has finished!
UPDATE: The new G8 servers have upgraded CPU's and RAM

They do have an average bandwidth of 200Mbit/s which is plenty for my case use although when testing I found I have more than double that!
That said, if you use an average bandwidth over 80Mbit/s for more then 15mins then they may throttle you back so that it doesn't disadvantage other customers!

But if you are using Usenet then downloads run pretty quick so you shouldn't ever hit the limit....and if you are concerned then you can change the settings in sab or nzbget to make sure that you don't go over say 70Mbit/s as the other 10Mbit/s is reserved for the RClone move script.
Update Note: Running torrents with this is not advised, but if you are still keen to use torrents then definitely set the speed limit to 70Mbit/s or lower depending on if you plan to use Plex or Emby a lot!;)
UPDATE: The new G8 Root Servers have a better throttling conditions now where if you use more than 80Mbit/s for more than an hour then they may throttle you back to 10Mbit/s
Old G7 Root Server bandwidth terms
traffic.PNG
New G8 Root Server bandwidth terms
traffic2.JPG

So if you are interested in trying them out then you can redeem one of the voucher codes below from here!:D Or here for the pre-translated version but more expensive!
Correction thought it was 5% off the first order but it's actually €5 off, apologies to those I've accidentally misled:oops: but it's a better deal!;)
Here's a list of current available €5 off discount voucher codes to use on anything:-

36nc15293433360 36nc15293433361 36nc15293433362 36nc15293433363
36nc15293433364 36nc15278819169 36nc15278835130 36nc15293433365
36nc15293433366 36nc15293433367 36nc15278835134 36nc15278835135
36nc15293433368 36nc15278835137 36nc15293433369 36nc15278835139
New discount codes for VPS!
Below are 2 codes for each type of VPS on offer, I am currently testing the VPS 2000 G8 and am very happy with it, I am also considering cancelling my RS 2000 G7 as it's snappier and it's unthrottled for the first 80TB per month! 2056nc15294833510

2052nc15285337400 2052nc15285337401 10% rebate VPS 200 G8
2053nc15285334560 2053nc15285334561 10% rebate VPS 500 G8
2054nc15285334550 2054nc15285334551 10% rebate VPS 1000 G8
2056nc15300948240 2056nc15300948241 10% rebate VPS 2000 G8
In my opinion, if you are only planning to use it for testing then try the 200 or 500, but if you want to use it for Plex/Emby then go for the 1000 and if you want to use it for Usenet as well then go for the 2000 (Also, it appears that they charge an hourly rate with the VPS so can be even cheaper for testing or occasional use purposes)!
If none of the voucher codes work then let me know and I'll get some more, I will try to update this list from time to time!;)
vps-page.JPG

EDIT: Also for those wanting to use it or any German server as a torrenting machine then make sure that you set up VPN as those companies will follow the law to the letter!:geek:

EDIT 2: When you put in an order they normally call you to confirm you are who you say you are....I did mine in the evening and got called the next day....pretty straight forward.

EDIT 3: You have the right to cancel the contract without reason within 14 days via email, letter or fax. I just cancelled my test RS1000 server via email and I pay my invoices via paypal (I didn't pay my invoice until after cancelling) so got an instant refund that way....Although another member here went for the 12 month contract deal which caused him a headache when trying to cancel, so try it out on a month by month plan first to see if you like it!;)
cancelnetcup14.PNG
EDIT 4: My set up process for a new Netcup server:-
When you first get your server login details it will have Debian installed automatically on it, so to change it to Ubuntu you need go to you SCP (Server Control Panel) click on Media, then Images and choose Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
scp.PNG
Then I chose Minimal
minimal.PNG
And finally One Big Partition
partition.PNG
You may want to also change the VNC Keymap layout, I tend to use Putty but it's a good backup option to use their VNC console!
keymap.JPG
PlexGuide setup - this is the process I use for first run of the Netcup server
First follow along with our Wiki-Guide Protect Your Server and when you finish setting up your SUDO user account add the following 2 lines of code, continue to install PlexGuide and the rest of the security settings!:)
## change language settings for UK english
update-locale LANG="en_GB.UTF8" LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"
## the following code will be set in ~/.bashrc
echo 'LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"' >> ~/.bashrc

EDIT5: Here is a comparison benchmark test between the old G7 RS2000 480GB (RootServer) and the new G8 VPS 2000 160GB:-
G8-vs-G7.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
It's like a vps with root access and you don't share resources or hard drives.
View attachment 78

Last edited:
Thread starter #5
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
That's cool. Wonder how they implement that on their end :D
I don't really have a clue...maybe kvm or xen or they have thousands of nuc's!:p

barryclamsworth

PG Captain
Super Moderator
How does the SAS drive integrate with the plexguide scripts? Is it straightforward, or does it come with the same complications of a second hard drive?

Thread starter #7
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
How does the SAS drive integrate with the plexguide scripts? Is it straightforward, or does it come with the same complications of a second hard drive?
Works the same, as Ubuntu will be installed on it, although I think when they first activate the server it comes with Debian so best to go to the media section of you CCP and install Ubuntu and use the entire disk!;)

Thread starter #9
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
Thank you. I'll probably give this a try. I think I misunderstood and it is actually a 60GB SSD OR a 480GB SAS not a 60GB OS disk AND 480GB data disk.
Ah yes, sorry it's either or....don't go for the SSD version though unless it's 120gb and over!;)

barryclamsworth

PG Captain
Super Moderator
Thank you, I've put in an order but it is being reviewed first. Will see what I get in the morning.

For anyone else considering, it seems far better to use google translate than view the english site, different offerings, 13 Euro per month with 12 month contract.

Thread starter #11
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
Thank you, I've put in an order but it is being reviewed first. Will see what I get in the morning.

For anyone else considering, it seems far better to use google translate than view the english site, different offerings, 13 Euro per month with 12 month contract.
Yeah I just went for a month by month contract as it wasn't too expensive!
I ordered mine in the evening and the next day I got a call from them confirming details.

neik

PG Overlord
@Deiteq, I have been looking at NetCup as well but I have read a lot that german providers aren't that good for regarding moving stuff.

So, you have been using Usenet. Have you also used One-Click-Hoster or torrents? Did have any issue so far, regarding dcma stuff?

Datamonkeh

PG Captain
Super Moderator
@Deiteq Do you don't have any problems with Plex when you stream the movies over the German Server? I download the movies on my home computer and upload it then to Google Drive
DCMA isn't an issue as you're not publicly sharing if using news, torrents obviously use a VPN. Other than that it's all down to the peering/routing/connection speed/bit-rate - have a look at the 'Post Your Benchmarks' server thread for speed test indications.

Thread starter #17
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
@Deiteq, I have been looking at NetCup as well but I have read a lot that german providers aren't that good for regarding moving stuff.

So, you have been using Usenet. Have you also used One-Click-Hoster or torrents? Did have any issue so far, regarding dcma stuff?
Well usenet is protected as I use ssl ports and if I do use torrents then I'll use the vpn (PIA) version in the beta menu, but to be totally honest I haven't done much downloading lately as I've been busy with the project.
It's true German providers are more strict, but as long as you cover your backside you should be ok!;)
Also I use RClone Encrypt!

Thread starter #18
OP
OP
Deiteq

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
@Deiteq Do you don't have any problems with Plex when you stream the movies over the German Server? I download the movies on my home computer and upload it then to Google Drive
No, no problems streaming, I am testing the RS1000 at the mo and find it's struggling with trancoding subtitles...but works great if you don't need them as it will direct play!
But at the same time I am using RClone Encrypt so that could be protecting me further just in case!:p

kalyway

PG Overlord
Tech Support
I do want to add a note about their refund policy.... It's a bit difficult and kinda a hassle. They do accept refunds within 30 days, however, you need to make a request via a letter OR a fax. I ended up sending a fax and once I opened up a ticket (the day after I believe) they responded to me quickly and gave me my full refund.

Overall, not bad with the timeliness but it can be a hassle needing to send an eFax just for a refund. That is all. Would recommend them otherwise!

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!