New server install | PlexGuide.com

New server install

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Dedicated Server. I'm actually looking at the Heztner EX42NVMe that everyone is talking about in the forum. I live in USA and planning to share with family and friends. Is this a good choice?

Also, planning to go with GSuite and use Newsgroup and maybe torrenting for content. If I do so, should I get a VPN to the server?

I'll appreciate your input.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
The USA is a big place (i've driven across it a few times and spent weeks doing so), obviously I can't speak to all states or even ISP etc. as a lot of variables exist, but the general answer here will be a yes, you should be fine for most depending on what you stream (BDREMUX may not end as well as a 25MB/s 4K RIP) and obviously it also depends not he end user, the connection they have, client choice, local connectivity, what ever else the connections being used for etc. etc. etc. In terms of torrenting, under no circumstances do you want to torrent on a German server without a VPN, it will end badly sooner rather than later.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

pazler2k18

Experienced
Jul 4, 2018
i heard datacenter: FSN. as better peering to USA i could be wrong. but it was something i heard.

i have a server in FSN if you want to test to see how the peering is send me PM mate.

Reactions: 1 user

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
Thank you both for your response. I don't know if I'm allowed to PM yet. I am a newbiee.

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
I have had servers is Finland and Germany. I find Germany servers to be better for my area, Texas. I would suggest using Cloudflare CDN as I get much better speeds when I go through their CDN.

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
I have had servers is Finland and Germany. I find Germany servers to be better for my area, Texas. I would suggest using Cloudflare CDN as I get much better speeds when I go through their CDN.
I looked into it and no pricing on their products up front.
Any suggestions?

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
I looked into it and no pricing on their products up front.
Any suggestions?
Not sure I follow. Pricing for Hetzner servers are listed on their site. When you go to order a server you will notice that servers based in Germany cost a bit more.

1592829723320.png

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
I was referring to Cloudflare CDN. Is that a specific server type under Hetzner?

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
Ok. I got it now. Thank you. Any information on how to set Cloudflare CDN up?

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
Ok. I got it now. Thank you. Any information on how to set Cloudflare CDN up?

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
Thank you, Mate. So sorry for my “newbiness”. Do I have to have a website or just a domain directing to my server?

Should I deploy a Webpress website?
Once again. TY for your help, mates.

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
you just need a domain with the server pointing to that domain. You can setup cloudflare per the wiki and have all your apps proxy through CF.

You don't need wordpress, through you could have a wordpress site for your domain instead of portainer being the default site.

Devottee

Citizen
Jun 6, 2020
Well there is provision for both SSL and Non SSL. SSL is not the designated active connection choice.
In my case, I use non SSL with VPN. For some reason I get both better and stable download speed with
VPN being active.

rodzluis

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jun 17, 2020
Hi mates,

I was able to deploy my Plex Server over a Hetzner Dedicated Server (EX-42 NVMe). Thanks to a member of this group that I contacted via Facebook Messenger. I was able to deploy Sonarr, however, I'm having issues with Radarr. I don't know why. Here's the error I'm getting.

Radarr Error.PNG

Any help, will be appreciated.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending