Not I fit in around here | PlexGuide.com

Not I fit in around here

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Duckfin

Citizen
Original poster
May 5, 2020
I'm starting to think plexguide.com is meant for really advanced users. I run a dedicated Ubuntu-based install of Plex (not PG) along with qBit/Radarr/Sonarr/SABnzbd on my home server. I am struggling to understand what it means to "install PlexGuide" vs "install Plex". Is installing PG something you can do on a dedicated home server? or is it meant for VPS installs? I couldn't find an appropriate area of the forums to ask this so I thought I would ask it here.

Thanks
Duckfin

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
it is and isn't. but it just depends on what you post. what is your end state of what you want to do?

Duckfin

Citizen
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Well, I'm pretty happy with the setup I have. I am storing all of my media locally on SSD's. I was planning to upgrade to a NAS (or a DIY NAS, whichever) but I wasn't sure if PG would offer something I am missing.

hemantx

Citizen+
Donor
Jan 18, 2019
I was doing EXACTLY what you were doing in the past....I came across Plexguide and I can say this - I LOVE IT. Here is why:

1. I was able (with a little learning curve) put together a google drive to keep my media instead of on local drives. Benefit - I now have UNLIMITED STORAGE for 12 bucks a month instead of the 5TB I had previously. I now no longer have to purge media when things get too full.
  2. I was able to set up a virtual set up using free google credit to have a fast google hosted VPS set up to back fill so many TV series that I previously only kept current episodes. Benefit - I now have an EXTREMELY complete library of media that I use personally as well as share with friends.
  3. I was able to play with some apps that I hadn't quite been able to figure out previously (Tautili, Ombi, just to name a couple) because they were easy to install and integrate with Plexguide. Benefit - I can now manage my server easier and allow my friends/family the ability to request media without always have to call/message me.
  4. The Docker system used by Plexguide is way awesome. It keeps every app within its own "environment" so everything plays together nicely. The times where an app has gotten "squirrely" - it is easy to redeploy that app in a new docker and everything else is unaffected. Benefit - keeping apps separated this wayFin prevents any system updates, new versions, or any other oddities from messing up my entire set up.

Finally - the people on this forum are EXTREMELY helpful and are basically just good people. I am very thankful for everything they do to help out.

It is worth the time to figure it out and use all the tools this group has worked tirelessly to provide.

Just my two cents worth.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
And @hemantx is correct. It's hard to explain because it depends on you. I got fed up with 76TB of drives. Plus google does a 25 day snap shot of your data so i have used it to recover in the past! Basically, you have a super backup on top!

Feb 23, 2018
The difference between plex and plexguide, is plex is the media server part to watch your media plexguide is how you deploy your apps.
Plexguide is written on top of the operating system and it’s the way of deploying all the containers like plex, Emby, sabnzbd, radarr and sonarr.
Plex is just the media player

Nerosutton

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Dec 1, 2019
IMHO Plexguide is a all-in-on solution with off-site storage. If you have a NAS and you're already setup with Sonarr/Radarr/NZBHydra2/SABnzbd etc. and you are happy with that setup and maintaining it, then stay with it. On the other hand, if you're looking for off-site storage and a system that can handle all the details, then Plexguide may be a solution for you. Either way has a learning curve, they both have their benefits and drawbacks. It just depends on what your circumstances and preferences are.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
You can install pretty much all of what PG does on most desktop OS's or x86/64 based NAS, but you'll need to do it manually, deal with the quirks, sort your own rclone mounts, scripts to upload/sync, backup and deal with backups, versioning, and the underlying storage/expanding it. You'll likely want to do so in docker to compartmentalise it, but you can run bare metal. Many of us have been doing similar things for decades, that's part of the attraction to PG. You can run it remotely on inexpensive VPS instances and free up your own connection, have unlimited storage and supply multiple clients without touching your home connection for what is a relatively minimal amount of money. Also toy NAS's are generally Ok for local storage, but the bespoke hardware can be a nightmare out of warranty and you're dependant on the OEM to still be trading/support your hardware, that's why the likes of FreeNAS/UnRAID are much better platforms.

evlo

Citizen
Feb 13, 2020
Well I started using because I was fighting trying to do similar setup and always have issues with permissions etc.
I always used flexget, but de facto standard, sonarr and radarr turned out to be ok.
I don't have reverse proxy for authentication or gdrive etc. But I still find plexguide pretty useful.
Only thing i have problems with was that I did not find anywhere that i should use /mnt/unionfs/movies and shows for movies and shows, once I figured that out it was guite easy and it is actually working.
I think it would be a lot worse if I did not try to run everything in docker myself before, as when i tried plexguide i kinda understood what is going on.

So even for me using torrent, downloading few episodes a week not hoarding movies and shows it makes sense and makes things easier. And just have one gbit server, not paying for gdrive or nzbs.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending