NUBIE REQUESTS INSTALLATION HELP | PlexGuide.com

NUBIE REQUESTS INSTALLATION HELP

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

emphasis

Citizen
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I have been studying PlexGuide for a bit and frankly found way too much for me - and way to technical.

I would first like to state my situation and see if my understanding is correct.

I have had Plex installed on my PC along with my media library. For a number of reasons I want to install the Plex Media Server on a remote location ie GDrive, so that I, and perhaps others, can access the Plex server on GDrive and 'play' any media located on the same GDrive.

If this is confirmed. I would like to move on to the 1st step of installation. Frankly, I have viewed the PlexGuide installation videos several time and found them too fast, audio and video.

Acknowledging that PlexGuide has very much simplified this process, but recognizing that it can be very complex, depending on ones objectives, I still need help to get this project started.

I have a PC with Windows 10, 16gb Ram, 850gb storage and primarily use Chrome.

1. What do I download to PC to begin
2. How start the installation

3.How and what to install to Gdrive

I think that enough for starters.

Thanks in advance to those that read and respond.

Jerry

boganslayer

Experienced
Donor
Jan 19, 2019
I have been studying PlexGuide for a bit and frankly found way too much for me - and way to technical.

I would first like to state my situation and see if my understanding is correct.

I have had Plex installed on my PC along with my media library. For a number of reasons I want to install the Plex Media Server on a remote location ie GDrive, so that I, and perhaps others, can access the Plex server on GDrive and 'play' any media located on the same GDrive.

If this is confirmed. I would like to move on to the 1st step of installation. Frankly, I have viewed the PlexGuide installation videos several time and found them too fast, audio and video.

Acknowledging that PlexGuide has very much simplified this process, but recognizing that it can be very complex, depending on ones objectives, I still need help to get this project started.

I have a PC with Windows 10, 16gb Ram, 850gb storage and primarily use Chrome.

1. What do I download to PC to begin
2. How start the installation

3.How and what to install to Gdrive

I think that enough for starters.

Thanks in advance to those that read and respond.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Perhaps I won't have the best answers for you but I will try and eliminate some of these.

When you say you want it in a remote location I assume you are referring to getting a VPS from hetzner server auctions?

Once you have your VPS there is no need to run you computer 24/7 and it would all be running from you GDrive.

Some suggest getting a Virtual Cloud Machine(i think that's what it is called) from hetzner to try out or attempt the setup of PG.

If you follow the install video of PG on your VPS it's pretty straight forward setting up the mounts for Gdrive(there is videos on this too). You may not get it right the first few goes and may have to restart a few times but once you understand the way it works you should be able to set it up to work perfectly.

From this point you would be setting up your Sonarr, Radarr and down loader clients will help with media managment and automation.

Have you had a chance to read through the PG wiki yet?

Hope this answers some things I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

S

subse7en

You can't use Windows, must be Linux. Most home internet connections have low upload speeds, where it makes more than 1 user playing a video unusable for everyone else. So a server is recommended.

This project may not be for you if the videos and wiki don't help.

You may find someone nice enough to help you but that's asking a lot for someone to teach you linux basics and server basics, and you're going to have a steep learning curve.

emphasis

Citizen
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks for concise and direct answer.

Only question is, did I miss this in either your Wiki of videos?

Thanks again

turner123

Experienced
Donor
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks for concise and direct answer.

Only question is, did I miss this in either your Wiki of videos?

Thanks again
It does say on the "INSTALL PLEXGUIDE" tab onto of page
PG Supported Operating Systems
Ubuntu: 16 .04 LTS | 18.04 LTS
Debian: 9

Marinerdevil

Experienced
Donor
Jan 6, 2019
Hey @emphasis ... A little background so you won't think I am IT guy that is a linux guru that sits in front of a keyboard all day banging out code. I am the noobiest of noobs and have ZERO background in anything IT or computer related. Hell I work outside in the dirt all day. Playing around with this stuff is a hobby and a challenge. If you enjoy a challenge your are in the right place, if not give it a shot anyway there is nothing to lose. Well maybe a couple of bucks at best. But based on your OP this will be a challenge. It was for me but I got it working....Ok, enough about me.

First of all, the set-up is not a widows type, click one link, agree that the app is going to make changes and boom you're done. It takes a little and by a little I mean lot of patience. Something this great is going to take effort. You will have to watch the vids 5 or 8 or 10 times. Read the wiki about 40. Watch the vids over and over until they make sense. Get yourself a Hetz cx11 VPS and just start at the beginning.

To answer your questions directly,

1. You don't install this project on your PC, you install it in the cloud on a VPS or dedicated cloud server.

2. There is an install script (command you type into the cli of your VPS) you run.

3. Plexguide will take care of Gdrive, kinda. You will need to sign up for a G Suite account and get some info over at Google. This was very confusing for me but believe it or not the vids and the community got me through it.

This community is very helpful probably the most helpful of any computer related community on the internets. But they will expect you to do your due diligence and try to get yourself out of a jam before asking for help. Very few of the basic potholes are not covered in the wiki/vids.

Here is the great thing about starting out with a cheapo VPS, if you poopoo something just blow away the VPS and start over from the beginning. Keep doing that until you can get through the install and setup without hitch and you will have a working Plexguide server and all the entertainment you can eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending