Discussion - Oneprovider E3-1240 V2 user. Thinking about changing to a new Dedi. Budget 35 euros | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Oneprovider E3-1240 V2 user. Thinking about changing to a new Dedi. Budget 35 euros

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
I have been using an E3-1240v2 dedicated server from Oneprovider (located in Paris) for few months for a cost of 27.41 USD (tax included).

I'm partially happy with it but I would like to have something a bit better that will struggle less when my Plex users don't listen to me and decide to transcode.

As far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong, Hetzner auction servers have better speed than the ones from Oneprovider as they have 1Gbps unshared.

Can anyone recommend me an small upgrade from what I currently have with paying much more?

Just in case it's important: 7 of my users are in Europe and 4 are in Los Angeles

My budget is 35 euros

Last edited:

TFArchive

Citizen
Aug 24, 2018
Look at the Hetzner EX42-NVMe (or non-NVMe) it is a much better server than most auction servers for the same price.

For peering, I wouldn't be surprised if your LA users will have issues streaming high-bitrate things, that is a very long haul.

For a low cost test, you could stand up a Hetzner cloud instance and just install a speed test tool or a small plex instance and have them test.

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
thanks for the info @TFArchive :)

In terms of the peering would it be much worst than what I currently have on Oneprovider Paris to my users in Los Angeles?

None of them complained yet about streaming issues, but obviously it would be quite bad if I switch from Oneprovider Paris to Hetzner EX42 and they start having issues

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Peering can be quirky, i'd suggest testing using a cloud instance is worth doing.

Reactions: 1 user

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending