OVH backup space, I would like to backup to my 500gb backup space - but how | PlexGuide.com

OVH backup space, I would like to backup to my 500gb backup space - but how

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Hello, I have an ovh dedicated server with the free 500GB backup box. It says you can FTP to that space etc... I don't want to install a GUI (I am a windows person for the most part) . What I was hoping is that someone here does this already and I would not have to go search to far for the wheel.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
What are you wanting to backup and from where? You could potentially do it from command line, use fxp from an FTP client that supports server to server or use rclone.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Hello, I have an ovh dedicated server with the free 500GB backup box. It says you can FTP to that space etc... I don't want to install a GUI (I am a windows person for the most part) . What I was hoping is that someone here does this already and I would not have to go search to far for the wheel.
This isn't really a better option than what plexguide already offers with regards to backup options. Plexguide backs up to your GDrive. For all intents and purposes, this is essentially the same as backing up to FTP since you will want to TAR up the contents locally first before FTP'ing over. Have you tried the native backup option in PG?

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
in
What are you wanting to backup and from where? You could potentially do it from command line, use fxp from an FTP client that supports server to server or use rclone.
What I wanted to do or accomplish is to image my machine and the have it ready to push over to an upgraded box, second reason is so I can have a fast image ready to be redeployed if I loose my box.
Post automatically merged:

This isn't really a better option than what plexguide already offers with regards to backup options. Plexguide backs up to your GDrive. For all intents and purposes, this is essentially the same as backing up to FTP since you will want to TAR up the contents locally first before FTP'ing over. Have you tried the native backup option in PG?
I agree with you and I didn’t explain myself that well. I want an image, like a clone zilla of the box. In Windows I used to utilize ghost or rapid deploy. Have my boot options set correctly in our DHCP server. It anything was wrong I would pixi boot off the network and restoration the machine in 30 min. The high overview is to have a quick and easy re-imaging Option.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
thats gonna be difficult to do. You might be able to boot to hetzner's rescue cd and use something like partclone but what would prob be easier is if your provider has the option to attach a usb hdd or thumbdrive to your host. You'll need to know how much backup space you need as well. at the ssh prompt do df -h to see partition sizes and amount free/used.

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
ok - I think I am just going scratch that and look at some backup software, open source. wish me luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I know from your posts recently you have had issues with restoring etc. but generally if you follow the process, it’s pretty straight forward to get a new box up and running in minutes, not hours.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
At the very least go to sudo PG, vault, and kick off a full backup to ensure it can complete successfully. If your low on disk space, clear out your downloads that are on the local disk first.

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
At the very least go to sudo PG, vault, and kick off a full backup to ensure it can complete successfully. If your low on disk space, clear out your downloads that are on the local disk first.
ok - will do I am going from a sb34 to an ex42-nvme, it looks like a good upgrade.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending