Donor
Local time
9:35 PM
Mar 13, 2018
PG Version
latest
Mount Type
Blitz Unencrypted
just wondering I did a benchmark within the pg of my gce build to find out what kind of processor its using because its clearly out performing mine on my regular local pg machine.
i set the automated settings on the gce builder within pg to a 4core 8gb machine.
while netdata shows the gce cpu during heavy downloading unpacking and repairing maintains about 60-70% cpu usage my io wait is virtually 1-5% . everything runs super smooth and instant.

where as on my local machine my cpu hovers around 40% cpu and 10-15 % io wait right up until sabnzbd needs to verify or repair then it sky rockets to 100% cpu and 70% io wait

granted to be fair my local machine has an hdd and the gce has the nvme drive. ( I will recktify this by later adding a ssd to the local machine ) but its hard to believe just the hard disk makes that much of a difference. Im trying to find out if the gces cpu is better and how much better. I was hoping to get a passmark or something

my real local pg machine-
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency : 1487.128 MHz

gce vm-
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 2.30GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency : 2300.000 MHz

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
2:35 AM
Aug 27, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
CPU Frequency and Drive speed are probably the 2 most important factors in what you have described, and it looks like GCE is crushing your @ home specs in both of these areas. It's hard to believe but the effeciency, speed and vastly better random write/read performance of NVME SSD's is almost definitely why you're noticing such a big difference.

Reactions: spediegun

spediegun

Original poster
Donor
Local time
9:35 PM
Mar 13, 2018
Forgive my ignorance but why is my frequency showing as less of a number than my clock speed where as the vm computer frequency and clock are identical. Is something wrong or is that normal

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.