Discussion - PG wont start after fresh install | PlexGuide.com

Discussion PG wont start after fresh install

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

revrenhex

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
I just had my dedicated server reinstalled to Ubuntu 16.04, and ran the install script located on the PG forums install page, it finished successfully, but when I go to start it, it just hangs, no errors displayed, cursor frozen. I'm not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it. Help!

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
My first suggestion is install Ubuntu 18, not 16.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I just had my dedicated server reinstalled to Ubuntu 16.04, and ran the install script located on the PG forums install page, it finished successfully, but when I go to start it, it just hangs, no errors displayed, cursor frozen. I'm not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it. Help!
You have to explain much more. Like what server? specs? and etc.

revrenhex

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
Its a dedicated server through hivelocity (was Incero) Its a dual 3.5GHz Quad-Core E3-1270 v2 Ivy Bridge Xeon, 32gb ram. Its been running PG for a little over a year with no issues, but a few days ago I ran into a problem with Plex, it started with buffering for long periods of time, then just flat wouldln't play anything, would get to loading with varying percentages, but not playing, across several devices and the web app, every other service worked fine still. Tried reinstalling Plex, deleted the container, reinstalled, no luck. I figured id just blow it away and setup again from backups.

Due to the change in ownership I was unable to reinstall the OS from the service providers interface, I had to open a service ticket to get it done. The only change I made, was I had them change it from the 4SSD's being in a RAID 10 (software I believe, but am not sure), to RAID 0 (still unsure if software/hardware).

The only other thing that makes me think its a bad install, is I copied the script and pasted it into terminal (mac), and unknowingly I had selected and copied much more than the method 1 script, so once it finished running the commands it just spit out a bunch of stuff that looked like terminal versions of the message board, replies, etc.

I tried reinstall of PG, but didnt fix it, so thought id try to delete it and reinstall, but can't find a command line way to uninstall that doesnt go through PG interface.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
E3’s (the 12xx range) don’t run as dual CPU, E5’s do, the Plex issue you describe was potentially a Plex outage and was discussed. Reinstall v18 and then reinstall PG and you should be good :)

revrenhex

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
So I started over, Ubuntu 18, plexguide installed correctly, every other service installed correctly, except plex. I get the following error when i go through the install process

fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Error while parsing document: /opt/appdata/plex/database/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml (Document is empty, line 1, column 1 (line 1))"}

It goes all the way through the process, asks about setting up backups, gives me the access configuration info, but the containers never created.
Post automatically merged:

So I went in and deleted the Preferences.xml file manually, and reinstalled, and it completed successfully. I was able to claim it and get to the settings page. I'm currently trying to restore a backup so maybe I won't have to setup libraries and stuff again.
Post automatically merged:

so the new server i started up, had a smaller SSD size, so when restoring the backup, it ran out of room. Where is the backup files it attempted to download located so i can delete them, and I'll just setup plex fresh. Thanks again for ya'lls help.

Last edited:

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!