Ideas - PGBlitz Workstation Edition | PlexGuide.com

Ideas PGBlitz Workstation Edition

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

crustyakorn

Experienced
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
So here's the thing.

I have a regular desktop computer collecting dust in my apartment. It's nothing special but more than decent enough to run PGBlitz/Plexguide for me/the family and for our needs.

The way I see it PBGlitz is mainly a "complete" solution for those who wants an all-in-one setup but with a bit of a caveat; it's UnionFS/Cloudsync/upload-it-after-a-while method that I don't really want to use feels almost a necessity to use or structure in the way of using it.

My current wish is this:
Second HD edition to be more "streamlined" for actually just local PC / server use. I have a 2TB drive that I want to store data/torrents/etc on. And a 128GB SSD for the Docker-imgs / system files / system in general.

Could we streamline the whole mounting setup (/mnt/this-and-that/) to be more simple if you don't want to use UnionFS? I still haven't really grasped the concept of the folder structure and this makes PGBlitz difficult for me to understand and utilize even if it's more basic usage. For us noobs. Who crawled over from "Desktop only" and have spent weeks trying to learn bits here and there on both Linux, Docker files/yml templates, Hard drive formats, Bits and Bytes.

Every time I redeploy PGBlitz/PG on a fresh install Ubuntu 18.04. LTS I install it to /dev/sda (128GB SSD) and I do the manual job of setting up the /dev/sdb (2TB) for storage. Then I have to 'rewrite' all the urls in Sonarr, Jackett, Plex etc. to somehow fit this setup. This feels a bit tedious in comparison to how well done the entire script/work on this project is. Or am I completely missing the point?

Perhaps others share my view on this :) Essentially I'm asking for a "dumbed down" PGBlitz that keeps it simple. Installed locally. Media is downloaded and stays locally. Only used for Plex, Torrenting and managing this in the best way possible (also using VPN if preferrable) through some VPN-Deluge / similar.

Whew. That felt like a long post. But if I'm wrong or it's not too hard to do this please point me in the right direction. Looking at GitHub Wiki pages for days now and getting a bit dizzy o_O:LOL:

nachobel

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Feb 2, 2019
So...first off, some great salient points (well, buried in there somewhere at least :p). Second, this is already possible! When you are installing Plex choose the option to have you files processed on another hard drive, and then when you're configuring PG Clone chose the option that says something to the effect of "no google drive integration, local storage/server only". This will allow you to set everything up without using any cloud sync or storage.

I haven't actually done this method, so I'm not sure what the file structure is, but likely you will still want to point your apps at the "standard" directories, e.g. downloading files in /mnt/storage/incomplete, completed downloads in /mnt/storage/downloads (assuming your second disk is called "storage) and then point Plex at /mnt/unionfs/movies or tv, etc.

You'll have to first boot into linux and format the second drive and then mount it somewhere.../mnt/media or /mnt/storage or /mnt/data or something similar will work out nicely. There's a few ways to do this so just ask if it gets confusing (e.g. using mount --bind vs just a straight mount to a point).

If you need further assistance or have a particular question, LMK! The PG install process is pretty simple if you just follow the rules (so you shouldn't be messing with YMLs or the internals really at all).

Also, AFAIK deluge-vpn doesn't function currently, but you can run openvpn on your whole box and then torrent normally.

Reactions: 1 user

crustyakorn

Experienced
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
That makes a lot of sense.

I will give it a go and see if I can't get this working. Thanks for your reply!

KuyaVinny

Citizen
Jan 27, 2019
Hi, just chiming in. I did have the local only install, and it's working fine. My issue is I have a third partition where I want to keep all the processed movies/tv/etc at. so basically, i have the boot disk, i have the worktank (processing) partition, and another partition (mediatank) for just the finished movies, etc. Now, all my containers does not see my mediatank because the script only processes the worktank. Is there an automatic way of adding a third partition? Or will I have to manually modify all containers to mount my third partition? Thanks for any help.

• Wow

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
PG is not setup to do that (and would be a complicated nightmare). PG is designed to be a 95% solution for the average person. What your asking for is really niche (good idea) but too much to code. You have to do lots of custom modifications in what your asking for.

nachobel

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Feb 2, 2019
Why don't you try setting PG up in local mode (no GDrive integration), and then using mount --bind to bind your processing drive to /mnt/downloads and your mediatank drive to wherever the movies and tv shows are stored without GDrive integration (I've never done this so I'm not sure what the folder structure looks like, but just bind them to wherever Arr moves them from Downloads).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
looks like you figure out the new comment mode :D

• Haha

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!