Plex - Plex auto scanning on remote, but not local | PlexGuide.com

Plex Plex auto scanning on remote, but not local

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

paulmd

Citizen
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
(Realized I posted this in the wrong forum before)
So I'm in the process of moving from a dedicated Hetzner to a local home server. When I install on on the Hetzner I have no problem getting Plex to scan the library automatically. I just use Plex's built-in options to scan automatically, and to run a partial scan when changes are detected. Works flawlessly.

I cannot get this funcitonality working on a local server. I've seen discussions about using a seperate script, but I really can't get my head around why this just works on a dedicated Hetzner but not the local server. Two questions: 1) Are there things that are fundamentally different about these that would make this obviously not work? 2) Could it be a Plex versioin issue? Is there a way - using the standard install method - to use an older version of Plex? My remote server that has autoscan working flawlessly is running version 1.18.8.2468.

Maybe worth noting, I've tried setting up my local server as a "local server" in the setup and as a "remote server". Same results either way.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yes. This won't work on remote server. Your pgguide box at hetzner uses unionfs which merges /mnt/move with /mnt/gdrive. Files get written locally to mnt/move first before getting moved to gdrive, which is why Plex can see them. Plex can't see changes on a direct /mnt/gdrive dir. You can use something like plex_autoscan on your remotes to achieve what you are looking to do.
Post automatically merged:

We need a better understanding of your setup. Which server is downloading new content, hetzner or local? Whichever is doing the downloading is the one that will see partial changes. If it is your local box, do you have Plex libraries pointed to /mnt/unionfs?

Last edited:

paulmd

Citizen
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Oddly, my issue is the exact opposite.
On the Hetzner server, autoscan is happening without issue. I cannot get it to work on a local server. Has anyone seen a similar issue or have any clue where to start in trying to fix it?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
We need a better understanding of your setup. Which server is downloading new content, hetzner or local? Whichever is doing the downloading is the one that will see partial changes. If it is your local box, do you have Plex libraries pointed to /mnt/unionfs?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending