Plex backup not working | PlexGuide.com

Plex backup not working

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

stammbraeu

Experienced+
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
Hi

I have to move my server to a different hoster and have some troubles atm with the update
I have about 90TB of data in my plex setup

obviously i want to backup my plex settings in order to avoid to rescan the whole library

This is what i have done so far:

backup of all programms via vault - worked for every program except plex

i tried a manual backup (zip /opt/appdata/plex/) - i tried mroe than 10 backups so far
the first runs it always stopped at one of my sync files - so i removed my syncs
the next runs it stopped at
/opt/appdata/plex/database/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db
stopped means there were no new lines and putty sooner or later says the the server unexpectedly closed the session

i checked the file and its not that big - 186 MB
due to its name i suppose its connected to my plugins - can i erase the file and just loose my subzero config (would be fine by me if it enables me to backup the server)

i dont know why but one of my runs went through and i ended up with a 41GB file - but when i use that to restore plex on the new server plex doesnt find my server
or maybe i'm using the wrong way to restore:

Whats the best way to restore?

install plex
setup traefik
setup mounts
restore backups
install programms
dont claim plex

or

install plex
setup traefik
setup mounts
install programms
dont claim plex
restore backups

i tried both ways with the one backup that went through but both times plex didnt find my server

I'm currently thinking about using rclone sync and sync the plex folder to gdrive and then from gdrive to plex again

Any suggestions are highly appreciated

All the best
Stammbraeu

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Hi

I have to move my server to a different hoster and have some troubles atm with the update
I have about 90TB of data in my plex setup

obviously i want to backup my plex settings in order to avoid to rescan the whole library

This is what i have done so far:

backup of all programms via vault - worked for every program except plex

i tried a manual backup (zip /opt/appdata/plex/) - i tried mroe than 10 backups so far
the first runs it always stopped at one of my sync files - so i removed my syncs
the next runs it stopped at
/opt/appdata/plex/database/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db
stopped means there were no new lines and putty sooner or later says the the server unexpectedly closed the session

i checked the file and its not that big - 186 MB
due to its name i suppose its connected to my plugins - can i erase the file and just loose my subzero config (would be fine by me if it enables me to backup the server)

i dont know why but one of my runs went through and i ended up with a 41GB file - but when i use that to restore plex on the new server plex doesnt find my server
or maybe i'm using the wrong way to restore:

Whats the best way to restore?

install plex
setup traefik
setup mounts
restore backups
install programms
dont claim plex

or

install plex
setup traefik
setup mounts
install programms
dont claim plex
restore backups

i tried both ways with the one backup that went through but both times plex didnt find my server

I'm currently thinking about using rclone sync and sync the plex folder to gdrive and then from gdrive to plex again

Any suggestions are highly appreciated

All the best
Stammbraeu

this is a pertinent question.
i am sorry it has been a MONTH since you posted and no-one has helped.
i am also sorry that i am not expert enough to offer much in the way of help, but i can say that i have suffered the same problems for about the same time.

when trying a manual plex BACKUP i get this error:

Command moveto needs 2 arguments maximum: you provided 3 non flag arguments: you provided 3 non flag arguments: ["/opt/appdata/plexguide/plex.tar" "gdrive:/plexguide/backup/HP" "8.1.19/plex.tar"]

after about half an hour of plex backup being prepared then the above message is shown and the system stops the backup and disconnects ssh.

sorry again i cant be of more assistance

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending