Plex Cloud Alternative

Sunflower

Original poster
Local time
6:02 PM
Oct 11, 2018
With the announcement of Plex cloud shutting down next month, I'm on the prowl for an alternative. I have all my media on Dropbox. What I'm looking for is a way to stream directly from dropbox (I will switch to Google if needed) through PMS on a VPS. I have tried using rclone, but the media is still taking up space on the vps:

Dbox: 1.1T 650G 377G 64% /media/Plex

So, is this something that PG does or does it just set it up so that PMS is just on google drive?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
you'll need to use google drive for the unlimited space (plus it's cheaper). you can use the feeder edition and it will your box up quick.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Local time
11:02 PM
Jan 20, 2018
650GB is less than a day's upload for most servers with gigabit connectivity, you really should look at GDrive over dropbox, as you already have a VPS what have you got to loose (assuming it's not totally underpowered and you can direct play).

Reactions: Admin9705

Sunflower

Original poster
Local time
Oct 11, 2018
Yes I have no problem with direct play. I also don't mind moving to Google. I just want to make sure that it's going to be worth the trouble (as in I will be able to stream directly to Plex). Once I get a definite answer, I will be setting things up. ?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Local time
Jan 20, 2018
We can’t give you a definitive answer, we don’t know if you're going to do something silly like try and stream a 4K remux on a massively over sold VPS with bugger all uplink on your 2Mbit home broadband connection. What I can say is that we have nearly 3600 registered users, you can see the posts of people who have buffering/direct play issues, they are comparatively small, most are easily fixed and many have obvious causes. The one thing I can definitively say is it will literally cost you nothing to try and see for yourself if you use the free trial of GSuite and already have a VPS or try one of the well proven and recommended options.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Sunflower

Sunflower

Original poster
Local time
Oct 11, 2018
Okay, okay. I get what you're saying. I do know how to code some and I'm well aware of the limitations of my VPS. I've trolled all over the internet trying different methods and VPS services. I've just gotten to the point where I'm very skeptical and frustrated. I'll give this a go I think. Thank you all for the information. :giggle:

Reactions: Datamonkeh

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Local time
Jan 20, 2018
Give it a go, at worst you may need a better VPS, but as all this will cost you up front is time and chucking a few bits of test media in the move directory or if you have a suitable home connection then set up a local VM to play with :)

Reactions: Sunflower

ComPlex

Noob
Local time
5:02 PM
Jan 4, 2020
Texas
Suppose I don't need unlimited space, & I've already uploaded to DBox. Is there a way to stream from the media on Dbox ?

Edrock200

Local time
Nov 17, 2019
Yes, you can mount rclone to dbox. Within pg I *think* you can set that mnt point as your "local hdd" mount point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.