Welcome to PlexGuide.com

Register & Join Our Community Today!

Register Log in

Plex Collections

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!
Thread starter #1

pommy

PG Ambassador
Plex adds a new feature - We welcome "Collections" - a way to gather your media together.

Take for example you might want to add your musical/music movies into a Musical collection. Items can belong to multiple collections too and you can configure how you want them to behave on a per-library basis.
You also have the ability to show collections alongside the items they contain, or collapse the items and just show the collections.

View attachment 113
(Click on Thumbnail for larger image)

Once you have edited your movies or TV shows to add one or more Collections, they will be scanned with a default poster which you are able to edit this to have a custom image for poster and background artwork. Once complete it will look something like this:

View attachment 114
(Click on Thumbnail for larger image)

More can be done with Collections. You can mix Movies, TV Shows & Music Artists/Albums to your groups as well. An example of this could be, you can group the Mamma Mia film with the movies soundtrack, original cast recording and indeed you could add all the Abba albums to it too. After all, they are all related.

Hopefully this cool new feature from Plex will become useful to you. From launch its available with support on web (only the online plex.tv version, for now), Android, Android TV, iOS, and Apple TV. Support to more Plex apps will arrive in the near future.

Update: If you would like Plex to automatically sort out your current library you have, then go to the advanced section when setting up your folders and tick "Use collection info from The Movie Database" under Agents: Plex Media & The Movie Database. Once done, Refresh All Metadata.

Last edited:

Similar threads

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!
Thread starter #4
OP
OP
pommy

pommy

PG Ambassador
I've updated the article explaining how you can automatically update your current library :)

J3n50m4t

PG Overlord
Tech Support
I had this activated by default and was wondering why there are 3k films more over night in my lib. Found it to be collections. The Problem I have is, that it doesn't only create collection for existend collections. It creates a collection for 1 filme (there are may 3 films, but i only got 1 for now) and it still shows up. Hope there is an option soon.

Thread starter #7
OP
OP
pommy

pommy

PG Ambassador
I had this activated by default and was wondering why there are 3k films more over night in my lib. Found it to be collections. The Problem I have is, that it doesn't only create collection for existend collections. It creates a collection for 1 filme (there are may 3 films, but i only got 1 for now) and it still shows up. Hope there is an option soon.
Yes I do understand where your coming from. As it pulls info from The Movie Database it gathers all the films which have another one of the same title. For now, I either left it and downloaded the other film's to go with it or manually deleted the collection. The only other option is to disable it again but then you would have to manually create collections, which I think if you have a large library will take a long time lol

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
@pommy Just wanted to say thank you for the help! Looking forward to anything you publish overtime! Plus overtime, it will get picked up and great for discussion points. Fixed up the info more for yourself :D

Last edited:
Thread starter #9
OP
OP
pommy

pommy

PG Ambassador
Thanks @Admin9705 - I'll certainly write up more articles and hopefully they will be helpful too :)

We are all here to help and learn:D