Plex not recognized as local (nearby) server. Unable to playback anything on Roku client. | PlexGuide.com

Plex not recognized as local (nearby) server. Unable to playback anything on Roku client.

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmckeon926

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Jan 25, 2019
I'm new to Plexguide and mostly new to Ubuntu but have been playing around for the past week on my local server and got everything working well under remote connections (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Ombi, Tautulli and Traefik using Cloudflare). I'm able to connect to all the apps through HTTPS from an outside network and my shared users on Plex report no difficulty accessing the new server.

However, I'm having difficulty accessing Plex on my Roku from my internal LAN network, it sees the server and lists my movies and TV shows but won't download thumbnails or allow me to view details on any items or play files; it's slow loading up as well. I've restarted, unplugged, logged out and even reinstalled the Plex app (thinking it may be cache related) on the Roku without success.

I figured the problem may be related to my Roku not recognizing my Plex server as a local (nearby) server, it always shows it as a "remote" server in the list. I assumed it had something to do with the internal Docker IPs and subnets, so I added these to the Plex Network/LAN Network settings as user timekills describes in #2 from his post below:

https://plexguide.com/threads/plex-domain-com-not-working.2078/post-13381

Plex LAN Networks.JPG

Plex IP List.JPG

Portainer Networks.JPG

I'm not understanding why adding "172.17.0.0/16,172.18.0.0/16" to the network settings in Plex does not fix the issue and have my client apps recognize the Plex server as local. Although, it seems like it should work on my Roku (or Chromecast) whether it sees it as a local or remote server, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I feel like since I'm only having internal network issues then it has to be something related to the Docker containers or my router setup. I don't have any trouble when I switch back to my previous Plex server which was a Windows 10 installation on the same box and assigned the same internal IP, so routing works fine there. So maybe it's all the docker containers and/or Traefik related?

If anyone has any advice or run into a fix for this themselves I'm up for any advice, I've run into many hiccups that I managed to sort out but this one has me stumped. I'm almost there! I've very impressed with Plexguide and the community, the forums have been a huge help so far.

Additional Info in case this helps anyone:

- Plexguide version 8.3.13
- "Remote" version of Plex installed
- Using PGBlitz w/ Encryption (successfully)
- Traefik deployed
- PG Shield w/ Port Guard NOT deployed (didn't want to do this until I had everything working correctly)

fr0sty

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Jul 8, 2018
Hi, i don't have a lot of experience here but i have noticed a few things in prev post, here goes.

"Remote" version of Plex installed
Will always result in it being remote. If its local and your not sharing with the world, why not use "local" version?

172.17.0.0/16,172.18.0.0/16 is the internal container IP's and will not be on the same subnet (router IP) as your roku eg. 192.168.1.5

Hope thats helpful in some way.

Rmckeon926

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Jan 25, 2019
Thanks for responding so quickly Fr0sty.

Will always result in it being remote. If its local and your not sharing with the world, why not use "local" version?
I am sharing with the world as well so that's why I went with the remote version. The remote vs. local thing is still confusing I guess. I chose remote because I knew I wanted to be able to access it outside my home network as I travel about once a month and it seemed from the various forum threads that this was the choice to make. However, I thought it could also mean to choose that only if you were installing it on a remote server such as a GCE instance. My server is local but I do want an outside connection for myself and to share with family. Ideally I would like to have remote connections outside the home and local connection inside the home for purposes of direct playing any 4K content I may have. My bandwidth definitely isn't up to par for remote streaming. Sounds like this may not be possible?

172.17.0.0/16,172.18.0.0/16 is the internal container IP's and will not be on the same subnet (router IP) as your roku eg. 192.168.1.5
This is true. The Docker containers and their separate IPs/subnets are new to me so I guess it's something I'll have to wrap my head around more.

I can login in through Plex.tv on a browser (both on local network and remotely outside my home network) and stream all my content without issue. Of course the server shows up as "remote" through Plex.tv like I'd expect, but on both Rokus it shows "remote" as well but barely loads the content and won't stream anything. I guess I have something else going on that I'll have to figure out. I'll play around some more tonight and see what I come up with.

KuyaVinny

Citizen
Jan 27, 2019
I have a roku at home, I'll check my installation. I'm having issues with my sophos utm right now, so I'll let you know once I figure those out. I've read something about NAT reflection though, I had issues with me accessing plex in my local network. May not be your problem but worth looking into.

Rmckeon926

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Jan 25, 2019
I think I found a solution that works and it was very simple; I'll consider it solved for now and come back to it if I run into any issues tomorrow. I only had to change one setting in Plex:

tempsnip.png

That fixed it. I can now connect to my server remotely and all my local clients (Chromecast/Roku/etc) see the Plex server as local so I can direct stream to them once again without the worry of transcoding.

Now I can finally sleep and look forward to putting some of those GCE credits to use later. :)

Reactions: 1 user

SirTranceALoT

Governer
Staff
Jun 14, 2018
Some clients like xbox One and I think roku struggle a lot with the issues you mention. It is because they connect trough plex.tv. See if you can add your server manueally thus being the IP of your machine (not the docker container). That helped for me. Since it is possible for your friends to connect to it, it should work too. Otherwise, look into firewall settings and such.

Plex really wants everything to go trough plex.tv. They are gathering data for years like what you watch, how many times you watch it and so on. They give it as reason for their new nifty stats page like tautulli but really they just want to spy the crap out of you with all their centralized BS.

Rmckeon926

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Jan 25, 2019
See if you can add your server manually thus being the IP of your machine (not the docker container). That helped for me. Since it is possible for your friends to connect to it, it should work too. Otherwise, look into firewall settings and such.
Everything is currently working using the Docker host IP though.. Just curious, but is there a reason that it would be better for me to use my external IP over the LAN IP? The reason I'm asking is just because then I wouldn't have to worry about keeping the external IP address up to date in case it changes, right now my server is assigned a static IP through the router so that won't change and it still works using that.

I agree, Plex does seem to be going more and more centralized. I guess I'm just going to stick with Plex for now but I'll keep an eye on it and maybe reconsider if it keeps getting worse. Is Emby the only other option with similar features? I haven't used that in a while, maybe I'll check it out again one day for fun.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I use a lot of Roku clients and I use the remote Plex install option on everything, never had an issue running on local's, it's just down to how the pairing process proceeds. If you put a domain in your plex settings, then without appropriate host file tweak, it'll see it as a remote.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending