Plex - Plex "Server unavailable" on host hardware | PlexGuide.com

Plex Plex "Server unavailable" on host hardware

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

cajunflavoredbob

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm getting an error with Plex this morning. It's the server unreachable error, where nothing is accessible. Funny thing is that I'm getting this directly on the server as well as remote.

I had to power down the server yesterday evening, and today when i powered it back on, everything else seems to be working save for this error with plex. Not really sure where to even begin to troubleshoot it.

Portainer is reporting it as a healthy container also. I have restarted the server, and it is presenting the same issue. None of my other containers are having issues. It's only Plex that's giving me grief today.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I’ll assume you’ve tried the usual IP:32400/web, what about logging in via plex.tv? Failing that just re-deploy Plex from the menu, all your data will still be as it was after you do so.

Reactions: 1 user

cajunflavoredbob

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Yes, when I'm on the server hardware or on a different PC, I get the same Server not found message using the IP: port/web. Logging in via plex.tv shows "No media found", but it does allow me to select one of my home user account before that message.

I'm not sure what you mean by "re-deploy plex from the menu". I can't access the server settings even on the server hardware itself. Unless you mean to duplicate the container through portatiner? Wouldn't that just spin up another copy of plex with the same problem? Maybe I misunderstood you, though.

FiveO

Citizen+
Raffle Winner
Apr 6, 2020
@cajunflavoredbob he means to re-deploy plex from the PlexGuide install menu. So you would run sudo pgblitz from SSH command line on the server. Then select number 5, then number 1, then number 1 again.

cajunflavoredbob

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
@cajunflavoredbob he means to re-deploy plex from the PlexGuide install menu. So you would run sudo pgblitz from SSH command line on the server. Then select number 5, then number 1, then number 1 again.
Oh ok. I'll give that a shot, since it shouldn't affect the user data.
Post automatically merged:

No luck. I redeployed it, but it's still showing as unreachable.

Just to be clear, I can access the IP: port/web address. It just shows that the server is unreachable in the sidebar. It shows me settings for only the web player and my users, but nothing for the server itself.

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
If your having problems, you can use putty or cmd line and do port forwarding. It's been a minute, but had to do this before. Long story short, port 32000 from your server gets assigned to your cpu to forward so you can reach.

cajunflavoredbob

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
Is your custom network access URL correct in Plex network settings?
Yes. I can still access plex through my custom domain. When I open plex.mydomain .com, I get the "pick your user" screen, then it shows my plex homepage where you'd normally see the on deck and stuff. It all shows as unreachable. This also occurs when I visit plex .tv to access it there. It also happens using the local IP and port on the host machine as well as my other PC on the same network. There does not seem to be any issue reaching plex from anywhere. It's acting like plex, the program, is set up, but I haven't set up my server yet, which is the odd part. I've been using this exact setup for some time now without any problems.

If your having problems, you can use putty or cmd line and do port forwarding. It's been a minute, but had to do this before. Long story short, port 32000 from your server gets assigned to your cpu to forward so you can reach.
I do have port forwarding already set up. I can access the plex interface and all my other programs (radarr/sonarr/etc) outside of my network through my custom domain. I have traefik set up and handling it. The issue is that when plex's interface opens up, it asks me to pick a user, then it shows my homescreen (on deck and stuff) with nothing loaded. It shows as server unreachable on all items. It's like the plex program is waiting for my initial server setup or something, and I've been using this without issue for quite some time now. I haven't changed anything about plex (settings-wise) in some time, except for the skip intro thing when that got added. Nothing recent has changed about it otherwise.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Yes. I can still access plex through my custom domain. When I open plex.mydomain .com, I get the "pick your user" screen, then it shows my plex homepage where you'd normally see the on deck and stuff. It all shows as unreachable. This also occurs when I visit plex .tv to access it there. It also happens using the local IP and port on the host machine as well as my other PC on the same network. There does not seem to be any issue reaching plex from anywhere. It's acting like plex, the program, is set up, but I haven't set up my server yet, which is the odd part. I've been using this exact setup for some time now without any problems.

I do have port forwarding already set up. I can access the plex interface and all my other programs (radarr/sonarr/etc) outside of my network through my custom domain. I have traefik set up and handling it. The issue is that when plex's interface opens up, it asks me to pick a user, then it shows my homescreen (on deck and stuff) with nothing loaded. It shows as server unreachable on all items. It's like the plex program is waiting for my initial server setup or something, and I've been using this without issue for quite some time now. I haven't changed anything about plex (settings-wise) in some time, except for the skip intro thing when that got added. Nothing recent has changed about it otherwise.
ah the second part, ya that i've never seen :D

Quadragin

Noobz
Aug 6, 2020
I’ll assume you’ve tried the usual IP:32400/web, what about logging in via plex.tv? Failing that just re-deploy Plex from the menu, all your data will still be as it was after you do so.
this fixed my issue, somehow it showed I had 2 servers

Reactions: 1 user

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending