Discussion - PSA: SLOW HETZNER SERVER FIX | PlexGuide.com

Discussion PSA: SLOW HETZNER SERVER FIX

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

meteo

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Nov 6, 2018
need the number ip link show look for enp#, probably second place under loopback.
otherwise machine might not be using the intel network card, re-reading that output result.
@mtan93 try the command I have listed earlier in thread.

thepj

Experienced
Staff
Nov 13, 2018
Random thought..... when I deployed Ubuntu 18.whatrever on GCE, I didn't have that 400mbit limit, I only started having that limit when I want back to 16.whatever. I would LOVE to have it upload faster as i am getting 2gbit/s (220MB/s) downloaded and when taht fine is done it would be the same upload. My understanding is that the GCE VM's can push a lot faster than just 400mbit, it does seem to be some sort of OS limitation in Ubuntu.

I used Ubuntun 18 even though it said it wasn't supported and the docker containers worked just fine in the GCE environment.

Just food for that

meteo

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Nov 6, 2018
18.04 is supported and the recommend version for installing, it's the server version that isn't.
I've come across other posts related to recent ubuntu speed issues, might just be kernel issues. :unsure:

thepj

Experienced
Staff
Nov 13, 2018
18.04 is supported and the recommend version for installing, it's the server version that isn't.
I've come across other posts related to recent ubuntu speed issues, might just be kernel issues. :unsure:
I am stating that I have installed the 18.04 Server LTS version using Minimal and had no problems with docker or drivers using the GCE image. Maybe I got lucky :p

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Just signed up for a Hetzner auction box last night (Core i7-3770, 16GB 2x3TB, 1gb line, unlimited traffic) and when I run the speedtest-cli command, I get 800-900mbps down but only 150mbps up pretty consistently across several servers. This problem seems worse than described in the OP I did install Ubuntu 16.04. Probably going to blow it away tonight and do Debian if there's not been a fix since the latest post in this from december. Or maybe 18.04 is better? What's most recommended right now?

Thanks - first post, sorry I guess I just kind of jumped right in there :)

boganslayer

Experienced
Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Just signed up for a Hetzner auction box last night (Core i7-3770, 16GB 2x3TB, 1gb line, unlimited traffic) and when I run the speedtest-cli command, I get 800-900mbps down but only 150mbps up pretty consistently across several servers. This problem seems worse than described in the OP I did install Ubuntu 16.04. Probably going to blow it away tonight and do Debian if there's not been a fix since the latest post in this from december. Or maybe 18.04 is better? What's most recommended right now?

Thanks - first post, sorry I guess I just kind of jumped right in there :)

I have same specs as you just more ram and installed on minimal 16.04 but my server is in Germany.
Those stats looks pretty normal. Here are mine:

Download: 875.83 Mbit/s
Upload: 269.18 Mbit/s

Reactions: 1 user

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
I have same specs as you just more ram and installed on minimal 16.04 but my server is in Germany.
Those stats looks pretty normal. Here are mine:

Download: 875.83 Mbit/s
Upload: 269.18 Mbit/s
Kinda disappointing upload, no? Isn't it supposed to be on a 1g dedicated line? I didn't think the auctions were shared but might have missed it. Mine's in germany too.

pviljaka

Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Just tested this morning local time in Finland couple of Finnish servers. i have the VPS on the Hetzner Finnish datacenter. No slowdows currently. Havent done anything special. Server build from the Ubuntu 18.04 image.
Maybe its just general bandwith and traffic congestion some time? See attached picture.

Attachments

meteo

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Nov 6, 2018
Looks like server is on a 10gbit port.. either that or speedtests are pulling from cache. :)
OP still relevant. Deployed another hetzner dedicated in Germany last week, same problem.
Ran command I linked earlier in the thread. Instantly uncapped server upload from 500->900+.

Would advise sticking with ubuntu 18.04 and disabling tcp segmentation.
Hetzner servers definitely have congestion and general peering issues though.
Get what you pay for, unfortunately nobody else offers good coffeelake+ setups..?

M

MrDoob

Hetzner HEL1-DC2
I7-7700 | 64GB RAM
1 x 128Gb SSD
2 x 4 TB Grub

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending