Question about using Plexguide? | PlexGuide.com

Question about using Plexguide?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

sasnakop

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Hi All,

I've been looking through the website and am really intrigued by all the capabilities that have been
implemented with the suite of apps and your installers.

I'm thinking about updating to a different setup and was hoping that you could recommend what you
think would be the best setup for me?

First of all I'm lucky and have synchronous Gig Internet so that opens up a lot of opportunities to me.

I'm currently running to systems, first one is a dual Xeon unraid server and the other is a older I7 Win 10 box.

The unraid box is the following hardware:

Dell Workstation (unraid)
Dual E5-2680v0 16cores (32HT)
136GB ECC DDR3
12 TB Parity Drive
2x10 TB Data Drive
1 TB SSD Cache Drive
GB Ethernet
Nvidia 1050Ti for Plex transcoding

Windows 10 System
I7 3820
16 GB DDR3
9 TB Raid 5 w/256GB Enterprise SSD Cache
240 GB SSD
GB Ethernet
Old video card

If it would help with a configuration recommendation I could purchase a 10GB nic for a direct connection between the 2 computers.

I've purchased full version of unraid and also Plex lifetime member. I also have a VPN that I'm using that I'm happy with.
I use Usenet to grab content because I don't want to upload via torrents because I feel they're more risky. (plus its
it's difficult to find a good tracker service unless you pay a lot or spend a lot of time getting your ratios set
properly).

I'm interested in setting up a single user GSuite drive that would have an encrypted setup.
I'm also thinking I might be able to separate my Plex server that would be on my unraid server and then have
all the processes that would grab content on the windows 10 system (that I'm completely fine converting to linux).

So based upon that, would plexguide be a good setup for me using unraid and splitting the processes and using GSuite?

If I missed any info you would need to know to answer your reply please let me know what other info you would need?

Thanks

PonsterManda

Experienced
Staff
Apr 26, 2019
I honestly dont think PlexGuide is the solution for you. PlexGuide works very well on a clean 'Linux' system where you main goal is to watch content with Plex. (And port security, google sync etc.)

I would say, install docker on unraid and create the same containers / config PlexGuide has. Learn from tools, directories PG is using and copy them. I dont think you should start over.

Reactions: 2 users

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I came from an UnRAID background, you have two obvious options:
  • Run PG as either bare metal or a VM on UnRAID.
  • Set-up your own dockers manually. on UnRAID.​
Option 1 works well, bare metal is slightly easier/better, but not massively so. If you do go VM, use the cache drive, direct to array writes suck. As you’ll be using GSuite, it’s no big deal In space, but I would personally want as close to 1TB as possible, or pass another SSD through via the unassigned drives plugin. Passing the GPU through can be problematic (or rather it used to be, now it’s just mildly annoying), but UnRAID is easy to unlock consumer cards, whatever you do, don’t ask about it on the UnRAID forums, that’s not OK.

Option 2 is going to require a little more work to set-up, but it’s loosing a layer of virtualisation compared to which is vaguely desirable. Space invader One has some excellent videos available on doing most of what you are wanting to do, but it'll require a slightly steeper learning curve to tie everything together.

No real need for 10Gb, but a lot of NIC’s and a cable is 40€/$ ish, but if you aren’t moving a hell of a lot of data between those boxes, I can’t see an obvious benefit, that said when’s that ever stopped someone who likes hardware?

Reactions: 1 user

sasnakop

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the replies, and I will tell you why I was thinking about the plexguide/unraid combo and like you said, maybe I don't really need the plexguide portion, but I was thinking it would help a lot in area's where I know nothing about (like the rclone type stuff for the gsuite and the reverse proxy).

I wouldn't have more than 10 concurrent streams to the plex server at one time, probably only 3-4 on avg. The unraid server has a passmark score of 18k and the 1050ti is patched to fix the 2 stream limit.

Also right now both the Unraid and the Windows 10 systems are separate Plex servers because I started migrating and ended up having one with primarily anime.

So am I trying to over engineer my setup by wanting to separate out having the I7-3820 be the content aggregator and the Unraid be the content provider via Plex?

I'm still not sure how GSuite for the drive all fits in here yet, and if the Plex containers could be clustered for high availability, but it they could that would be nice if the I7-3820 could be a backup Plex server for whenever I'm doing maint etc.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
You can run a 2nd cheap server as a setup (for learning purposes and backup).

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
GSuite provides unlimited cloud storage for very little each month, if you have symmetrical gigabit, you’re really going to find this amazingly useful - store media in the cloud, map each instance of Plex to the mounted cloud file system and enjoy ;)

sasnakop

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
So how well would would plexguide run in vmplayer if I wanted to run it in a ubuntu VM on my AMD 3900x desktop? I just signed up for the 14day gdrive trial. I'm wondering if starting out that way if I might be able to get a handle on the encrypted rclone setup? Also trying to figure out the 750GB upload limit? from what I think I understand is there's a way to get around the 750gb limit with services accounts using pgblitz? Eventually I could setup the reverse proxy stuff once I move away from the VM.

I've currently got setup on the unraid is heimdell for menu program, sonarr, radarr, sabnzbd and nzbhydra2, tautulli, cloud commander for GUI file mgmt and then when I get stuck and can't find things I use deluge vpn.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
While not officially tested/supported as such, it should work fine. Also the number of people who use encryption is tiny, the number of people who then go on to decide to move away from encryption to unencrypted seems to keep growing, make of that what you will. Oh and if you have UnRAID, you have the ability to spin up a VM easily anyway as well as the ability to expose rclone mounts, this is one of those situations where you’re potentially re-inventing the wheel - but our wheel has extra bling ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha

justin30097

Citizen
Jun 1, 2019
There is nothing wrong with doing this in unraid, proxmox or esxi, it will all work, being in a vm slows down a little but not much. I have been doing this personally for years using Vsphere/esxi and that has worked wonderful. I have not tried it in player but have in workstation and same deal it works.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
There is nothing wrong with doing this in unraid, proxmox or esxi, it will all work, being in a vm slows down a little but not much. I have been doing this personally for years using Vsphere/esxi and that has worked wonderful. I have not tried it in player but have in workstation and same deal it works.
Ya i run my feeder and player in 2 proxmox instances with the Ryzen 3900 processor. All works great.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!