Portainer - Questions about Portainer and ports used by Plex | PlexGuide.com

Portainer Questions about Portainer and ports used by Plex

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Today Plex wasn't loading the libraries for some reason, I stoppedPlex from portainer but then it wou;dn't start again. Apparently the port udp 1900 was in use by another application.
I ran "sudo netstat -nlp | grep 1900" and I could see that port 1900 was being used by Emby, which was installed using the official deb package (why? I wanted it to scan other directories outside /mnt and with the docker install from plexguide I was a bit restriceds)

My questions now are:
Why portainer shows so many ports enabled for Plex?
Are all of them necessary for Plex?
How to prevent Plex from using one of those ports?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
you need all those ports for how plex communicates. all you have to do is block the ports and you'll be in for a surprise :D port 1900 is DLNA for plex.

Reactions: 1 user

beats

Active
Staff
Oct 10, 2018
(why? I wanted it to scan other directories outside /mnt and with the docker install from plexguide I was a bit restriceds)
You realise Plex has access to your whole drive in the path: /yourcomputer
Just thought I would mention it as you can add any other folders outside /mnt/

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
part of the reason why i put there way back when :D

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
you need all those ports for how plex communicates. all you have to do is block the ports and you'll be in for a surprise :D port 1900 is DLNA for plex.
Thanks! I won't touch it then. Maybe I should remove the Emby isntall I got and install it from plexguide as well. That way maybe I'll have ports conflicting less often.

You realise Plex has access to your whole drive in the path: /yourcomputer
Just thought I would mention it as you can add any other folders outside /mnt/
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I know but as far as I remember Emby only can get the folders from /mnt so I just decided to have Emby installed outside plexguide as I didn't wanted to change the path of the libraries for Plex and get everything scanned again.

PS: It would be great if Emby and Airsonic could also get their libraries from the whole drive in the path: /yourcomputer

beats

Active
Staff
Oct 10, 2018
PS: It would be great if Emby and Airsonic could also get their libraries from the whole drive in the path: /yourcomputer
I have submitted a pull request with the change to add /yourcomputer to emby, I dont use emby myself but the vm I test with had the same access as plex did after I made the change.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending