Discussion - Rclone using alot of bandwidth and slowing everything down. | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Rclone using alot of bandwidth and slowing everything down.

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Hello, currently I am using plexguide on a dedicated server and it seems that my gigabit line is being used all the time with short breaks every few hours, I've only got tautulli, portainer, traefik, plex and netdata installed. I have a tdrive mounted using pgblitz and another added through rclone.
On my other server, I have never experienced this issue and still don't experience it but this is becoming a large pain, in plex analyse is off, video preview thumbnails are off as well, im not exactly sure where rclone stores its logs so im not sure where to check but there is definitely an excessive amount of data being received and sent, totalling up to a gigabit down and 500mbit up which is crazy when the server only has one stream or none from plex. Currently, I'm on the latest version of plex but doubt that's the issue. has anyone else ever had this issue or know a way to potentially fix it? or even know where the clone logs are stored (i did a google search and could only find how to see them if mounted as screen?)

Attached a screenshot of network usage when there is only one 15mbit plex stream
(this server has no download or upload apps installed so not sure what is causing this usage)

Attachments

kennsann

Experienced
Sep 14, 2019
Likely it is because you have "Perform extensive media analysis during maintenance" in the scheduled tasks set to enable.

I installed PG on a VPS once, they cancelled my VPS because I used up 50% of my bandwidth in just a day and burst my CPU for a few hours. Later did I only discovered that dastardly option in plex was the cause of all the problems. That was a waste of $10. :p

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
nope definitely off, checked before hand.
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone know what could be causing this? i still have a crazy amount of usage from rclone and don't know what it is, I even switched server and did a pgvault restore and only have plex so maybe something there?? it's using so much bandwidth (constant half a gigabit) that i may run out of my 100tb datacap at wholesale internet.

Last edited:

kennsann

Experienced
Sep 14, 2019
Try turn off each program you are running (sonarr, radarr, plex, emby, whatever). One by one shut them down. Check htop or whatever you're using to check resource usage. We can't really know what's the problem if we don't know what we're looking at.

Reactions: 1 user

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
As @kennsann said, you have to isolate it. I haven't come across this. It could be anything on your box; haha even a hacker.... well that one is low.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
This is common if you are scanning/indexing your library for the first time. Scanning through 60tb used nearly 5tb of bandwidth. Also make sure radarr/sonarr/lidarr don't have deep media analysis turned on. While periods of usage are high try this command on the host:
sudo lsof /path/to/mnt
It will show you which files are open which might help you narrow the issue.

If you share your library with others, even with media file downloading disabled, there are scripts out there that allow users to download the source file. I doubt this is the case but another avenue to support. If stopping the Plex container immediately drops bandwidth, it is most likely some sort of scanning or analysis. If so, your alerts window in settings of Plex will usually yield clues as to what it's doing. If not there, you can check the console under settings as well.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
I only have plex and tautulli running all my other apps are on another server thats dedicated for downloading, this server only has plex and tautulli on it and as soon as i stop the plex container it seems the bandwidth usage drops.

I did this command on my gdrive mount and it seems that i see about 3 listings of what people are actually watching and then about 30 listings of a tv show that nobody is watching?

and no the library is fully scanned and not scanning.

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Are you scanning in a new library or content? If so the bandwidth usage is normal until it completed a full scan of the content. In addition to turning off thumbnails, make sure chapters is turned off too. As mentioned above when it starts spiking run the lsof command from my first post.

My initial library scan kept my bandwidth spiking up and down and used a lot of data to scan in my libraries. If you want to be certain, in Plex go to settings/troubleshooting and click download logs. In that zip file look at the plexmediaserver log and the Plex media scanner logs to start with. It should give you an idea of what it's doing.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
yeah mine is already scanned so that's not the issue and it's not even scanning, the alerts page doesn't even show if its analyzing but
I did this command on my gdrive mount and it seems that i see about 3 listings of what people are actually watching and then about 30 listings of a tv show that nobody is watching?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Those 30 listings, that's what Plex is scanning for some reason. Are those 30 items new by chance? If not, taking a shot in the dark here but make sure sonarr/radarr isn't set to modify file dates of your media on it's daily scan. Doing so triggers Plex to believe the item is a new version and start scanning that object again.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
If you keep the alerts tab open in Plex for a while it will probably list what it's doing. When you first click on it, if it's in the middle of processing something, it won't show any new alerts until the next action, giving the false impression that it's not doing anything. This could be the 3 day media refresh (periodically refresh metadata setting,), the radarr sonarr thing, etc. That tv show that no one's watching, is the meta data complete for it in Plex? If you go to your gdrive and click on that folder, on the right side activity pane does it show any activity for those files?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Also if since you know some of the other files open, you can search those Plex logs for those file names to see why they are being accessed. Is it possible one of your users is syncing content? It may show up under your conversions tab. Or do you use "Plex optimized conversions?"

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
This drive is actually a teamdrive from pcs and it seems the file was created on the 25th of December?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
How long ago did you setup this server and complete the initial scan? Are you using Plex Autoscan or manual library scans? Pcs updates A LOT of content daily. Like usually 500GB to 1TB daily. So your scans are going to refresh meta data for that new content.

If you recently cloned the data from another Plex instance, I've noticed that even with mounts being the same, a rescan sometimes identifies like files as different. Not all, but some. If you can give us some details to the exact scenario, i.e. just restored my Plex server to a new server, etc.
If so, your mount points and paths are identical correct? Did you setup your rclone vfs settings similar to pg?

See my two replies before this one about looking at your logs for those filenames to see what exactly Plex is doing.

Also make sure your empty trash setting after scans isn't set to enabled. If your mount drops Plex will delete all that metadata indiscriminately.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
i initially had the issue on a server with reliablesite, and i couldn't pin point the issue, then i backed up through pgvault and restored on a server at wholesaleinternet, now it seems that the files that are being used by plex still play so the filenames must be correct and the specific show "deadliest catch" on tv-reality keeps being shown when i do that command on the mount this leads me to believe plex is doing something with that show although the same episodes being shown in that command works which is strange.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Now i noticed another show is showing up (master chef) in tv reality, currently i am doing a scan of tv reality and will see if the usage is still there but it seems there is alot of incoming and outgoing bandwidth as i've used 8tb of bandwidth in under 48 hours which is crazy especially since there is a 100tb monthly cap.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Yep, followed the guide on chudz website line by line so must be accurate, my own gdrive mount seems to have no issues but PCS seems to be causing a decent amount and it's strange because this issue doesn't replicate on any of my other servers.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah that's odd. I know chudz did move some stuff around last week. He moved all of remux off to another TD and changed the folder names for those but that doesn't sound like ur issue

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
yeah im thinking maybe the db or something was corrupt with the specific metadata file i used from him, so i will try the newer one thats on gdrive at the moment and hopefully this fixes it as it's something to do with plex.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Oh you used the plexdata.tar? Yeah that will do it. I think he stopped providing it cause it has issues.

ZyFinity

Active
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
think he still provides it, it worked perfectly on one of my servers, just not this one, although i did use an earlier one then the one currently up so i may try that.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Heads up. Based on a recent sync, it appears pcs has moved, added or changed over 10TB of content in the TV sections alone in the last 72 hours.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending