Discussion - Recommendation for Hetzner Dedicated? | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Recommendation for Hetzner Dedicated?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

spaceman07

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
What can someone recommend for about 15-20 users max where we are all based in UK? budget I have for around $50 but can stretch it out if its worth the extra.

The users will be transcoding alot so need to be able to handle that.
Let me know what you guys can recommend.. Thanks
Post automatically merged:

a server that can handle 15 transcoding.

Last edited:

ThePud

Citizen
Apr 11, 2020
Im new to all this myself, but it might help with the answer if you try place an amount of how many concurrent transcodes. How many out of the 10/15? From what I've read you need a CPU passmark score of 2000 per transcode. Based on that you'd need at least a CPU with 20,000 Passmark. Another more experienced member may be able to offer you a better answer.

Edit: Forgot to add some people say 1 core = 1 transcode. Someone here might be able to clarify more on that too.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
The 8700 and 9900k have the uhd630 igpu which can transcode x.265 and x.264 without much effort. New the 8700 are 60 euros and 9900 are 70 euros at hetzner and should stream fine to the UK even w/o cdn but keep your eyes on the auctions too. Look for one with a modern Intel chip that has quicksync capabilities. The last 2 or 3 generations with quicksync do a good job at hw transcode.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018

spaceman07

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I went with the EX62-NVME .. so if anyone have any optimization tips that would be great.. i have enabled the hw transcode and did not work well for me as it kept buffering.. but with hw disabled transcoding is working smooth.

heres the benchmark run on it -

Reactions: 1 user

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I went with the EX62-NVME .. so if anyone have any optimization tips that would be great.. i have enabled the hw transcode and did not work well for me as it kept buffering.. but with hw disabled transcoding is working smooth.

heres the benchmark run on it -
I just setup the same server. Odd that you are getting buffering with hw but not sw. I did upgrade the Linux kernel to v5 though on the host. Are you using cdn? I can't imagine why hw would cause you to buffer over software. It almost sounds like it could be a client side issue. Have you tried different clients or the browser client with hardware?

Couple of things I did to tune:
Set my rclone chunk size to 128M vs 64M
Set chunk limit to 2048M
Set buffer to 16M
Installed Linux kernel 5 ok host
Installed latest video drivers on host (I don't think this matters though as the container has drivers, as long as /dev/dri is available)
I added my user account to the video group on the host

In the PG tools/settings menus I:
Enabled igpu support
Toggled the docker swapiness setting
Set the host to high performance mode.

-Ed

Reactions: 1 user

spaceman07

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
can you share the rclone mount options you have setup with? and are you using different settings for 4K content possibly?

I have setup hw transcode and its working today.. so must of been something odd the other day.

RCLONE SETTINGS:
⏫ Upload Settings Default Current
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
[1] BW Limit [9M]
[2] Drive-Chunk-Size 64M [128M]
[3] Transfers 8 [8]
[4] Max-Transfer 750G [750G]

⏬ Download Settings Default Current
[5] Buffer-Size 16M [16M]
[6] VFS-Read-Chunk-Size 64M [128M]
[7] VFS-Read-Chunk-Size-Limit 1024M [2048M]

? VFS Cache Mode Settings Default Current
[8] VFS-Cache-Mode writes [writes]
[9] VFS-Cache-Max-Age 1h [1h]
[10] VFS-Cache-Max-Size 100G [100G]

? Misc Settings Default Current
[11] Dir-Cache-Time 5m [60m]
[12] Log-Level NOTICE [DEBUG]
[13] User Agent [rclone/v1.48]

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
That looks good. Would up the dir cache time. I think mine is set to 3 days. However that should not be impacting your ability to stream. I streamed 6 4k to 4k transcodes off the igpu and it didn't break a sweat and the streams didn't stutter. I do however use CDN. That said, it still doesn't explain how/why you are able to stream fine with sw transcode. That's why I mentioned doing some client side testing to see if it's a client issue. Maybe the hw transcode is doing something with the codec/stream/bitrate that your client doesn't like.

What was the source resolution/bitrate/codec and transcoded bitrate/resolution? Try testing hw with different types of resolutions, nitrates and codecs.

spaceman07

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Is the following information useful?
Device: Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)
Client: Plex for Kodi and Plex App using the latest client.
LAN: Wired

Seven Worlds, One Planet/Season 01/Episode 01
@id:315463
@duration:3246952
@bitrate:62860
@width:3840
@height:2160
@aspectRatio:1.78
@audioChannels:8
@audioCodec:truehd
@videoCodec:hevc
@videoResolution:4k
@container:mkv
@videoFrameRate:24p
@videoProfile:main 10

Could if be something wrong with this media itself corupt data or something maybe? I will do further testing but it appears to be ok with lower bitrate content.. but need to spend more time with that to confirm.

Any help will be appreacited.. Thanks

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Is the following information useful?
Device: Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)
Client: Plex for Kodi and Plex App using the latest client.
LAN: Wired

Seven Worlds, One Planet/Season 01/Episode 01
@id:315463
@duration:3246952
@bitrate:62860
@width:3840
@height:2160
@aspectRatio:1.78
@audioChannels:8
@audioCodec:truehd
@videoCodec:hevc
@videoResolution:4k
@container:mkv
@videoFrameRate:24p
@videoProfile:main 10

Could if be something wrong with this media itself corupt data or something maybe? I will do further testing but it appears to be ok with lower bitrate content.. but need to spend more time with that to confirm.

Any help will be appreacited.. Thanks
What are you running Kodi on, a Windows PC?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah again I can't think of any reason that hw transcode would cause you grief over software. Aside from the obvious suggestions: reboot host. Reinstall Plex, etc. If your shield is on wireless try wired but again that shouldn't matter if sw is working. Does it stutter on hw at any transcode bitrate?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending