Discussion - Server Suggestion - Canada | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Server Suggestion - Canada

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

dimerbox

Citizen
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm looking to move my current local plex server over to remote and need something good, I've done a few tests in the past before doing the big switch and didn't have much luck so I was hoping I could get the help of the community!

Reason for moving away from the local server is a few things, (would love feedback here or any experiences on doing this),
1. Storage is getting full, (24TB's almost full) GDrive offers Unlimited.
2. Power usage to save a bit of money
3. Can downgrade my internet connection so I'm not having to stream to others. (1gbps down to either 180mbps or even 90mbps, would save around $20-$40 a month)
4. Maintenance, I literally think about the drives crashing and having to deal with that mess one day.
5. Physically having the files in my house, gives me more stress than I thought it would, and now that I'm streaming to 2-4 members of my family it adds even more concerns and always that paranoid feeling which I don't like. Does having it on a remote server help with the paranoid feelings?

[Local Server] - Was built for Plex only use
Xeon 1230 E3 v5 - 3.4ghz
32gig of ECC
24 TB of BOD

[ Remote Server ] - What I'm Looking for
Budget: around $40-60 a month
Powerful enough to transcode: 2-3+ users @1080p
Users: All located in the same area

Few other questions,
- Should I have a backup plan for if google drive decides to wipes out all the data? Any suggestions on that? (I was always told as a kid, "Good things, don't last forever")
-How many cores would I need to not have any issues transcoding? I was reading some get away with using VPS's v.s Dedicated?

I have tested a few in the past and was having issues,
- OneProvider was a Montreal location which was brutal speeds, always got buffering issues on 720p was horrible (about 6 hrs from my location in Canada)
- BuyVM was pretty solid, but my CPU for transcoding was 100% the entire time (Was the x2 Cores)
- Vultr - Amazing speeds on the dedicated box (only 2 cpus and same issue as above maxing out the cpu on transcoding)

Any direction or help is much appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

zomboassasin

Active
FreeLancer
Jan 2, 2019
If you want to try a virtual server rather than a dedicated I have been using afterburst in new york. They have pretty good prices and "unmetered" bandwidth. Haven't had any major issues with them, and their unmetered bandwidth I've come to find out is don't use more than 50TB in one month and your good. However you can't really beat dedicated server performance, but the extra bandwidth headroom is really nice.

Reactions: 1 user

dimerbox

Citizen
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Wanted to give an update... I decided to test out VirMach Dedicated server located in Buffalo.. and wow super impressed so far. Plex buffer times are hardly a thing now, 1-2 seconds maybe to start 1080p and scrubbing into the video is maybe 3 seconds at max, compared to before I would hit 10 seconds+ buffer.

Here is the server spec,

Processor// Intel E3-1240v2/E3-1270v1
Memory// 32GB DDR3 RAM
Storage// 2x 120GB SSD
Bandwidth// 10TB @ 1Gbps

Cheers!

Great software btw, keep up the great work!

Signup20

Active
Jan 25, 2019
@dimerbox. do you use GCE as well or is PGBlitz fully deployed to VirMach?

I'm also looking to go fully cloud. Currently, I'm using GCE and TDrive with Plex server locally on my 2012 iMac. I'm getting lots of buffer and am not happy with the current setup... looking for other options and am open to suggestions.

dimerbox

Citizen
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
@Signup20 Fully deployed on VirMach with gdrive, I have also been having some odd buffer issues locally on my machine, Ironic how my cloud solution works better than local at the moment lol.

bedpan

Citizen+
Donor
Apr 3, 2018
Hey there... I am east of Toronto...

I use Hetzner Cloud and can stream 4+ 1080P streams on the CX41 Cloud option. Works out to about $24 a month CAD. I only run plex on this however. I use the free credit for GCE to run my feeder box. It last about 2 months on each account and only takes about an hour to redeploy the box on a new gmail account. I found most of my buffering issues seemed to be related to downloading content, unrar'ing etc. So having them separate has helped a lot.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
@dimerbox. do you use GCE as well or is PGBlitz fully deployed to VirMach?

I'm also looking to go fully cloud. Currently, I'm using GCE and TDrive with Plex server locally on my 2012 iMac. I'm getting lots of buffer and am not happy with the current setup... looking for other options and am open to suggestions.
I know this may sound odd, but is your internal network setup well. High end router, using AC and etc?

Signup20

Active
Jan 25, 2019
I know this may sound odd, but is your internal network setup well. High end router, using AC and etc?
I'm currently using an R7000 router flashed with Advanced Tomato on 5Ghz frequency with AC. I'm planning on migrating to Ubiquiti hardware using an AP Pro for wireless. All connections are wireless in my setup. I haven't given it a try in some time as I've had better luck streaming directly from Team Drives using native players on my iPad. Will report back on my findings...

Signup20

Active
Jan 25, 2019
I'm currently using an R7000 router flashed with Advanced Tomato on 5Ghz frequency with AC. I'm planning on migrating to Ubiquiti hardware using an AP Pro for wireless. All connections are wireless in my setup. I haven't given it a try in some time as I've had better luck streaming directly from Team Drives using native players on my iPad. Will report back on my findings...
When streaming directly from Google Drives cloud (via browser), it works perfectly. When I try to play via the local install of Google Drive File System with all files set to "Online only", I get buffering issues. Should Plex be pointed at the Cloud directly and not my GDFS local instance?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending