Slow internet speeds at home, could I use a home server and cloud server in combination? | PlexGuide.com

Slow internet speeds at home, could I use a home server and cloud server in combination?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

BloodyJonesy

Noobz
Original poster
May 25, 2020
Morning all,

So I've got a server at home which is more than capable of handling PG. My issue is that my upload speed is around 10mbs and download is 80mbs. Any time my server is uploading anything it saturates the network and makes streaming from Plex impossible (due to constant buffering)

Would having a cheap cloud VPS help this? Just to have to manage the uploads and downloads of NZB to the gdrive? And then have my local box handle Plex and the streaming?

Thanks
BldyJonesy

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Limit your server upload either via PG or QoS, or use a remote VPS to do the download/processing/upload and run plex locally.

BloodyJonesy

Noobz
Original poster
May 25, 2020
Limit your server upload either via PG or QoS, or use a remote VPS to do the download/processing/upload and run plex locally.
I've tried limiting the up/down in PG and it still isn't great. I'm gonna try and use Feral Hosting for nzbget and then everything else locally. Cheers

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Why not just set PG up on Hetzner Cloud or any of the other well proven offerings, feeder boxes have been used like this for years, even the online.net $19 dedicated deals will saturate gigabit as long as you don't have repair work running at the same time.

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
You need to add follow to the pgblitz upload script

--bandwith=8M

Will used only 8mb upload speed

Ref is

--bwlimit BwTimetable Bandwidth limit in kBytes/s, or use suffix b|k|M|G or a full timetable.

--bwlimit-file BwTimetable Bandwidth limit per file in kBytes/s, or use suffix b|k|M|G or a full timetable.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
8M is 80mbs, so if your upload is truly only 80, you may want to set the bwlimit lower like 4M.

To answer your other question, yes, many of us have "feeder" setups as you described. You can get a cheap vps, install plexguide, do steps 1 through 4 (you will either need another domain name or redo your home setup to a subdomain, e.g. home.yourdomain.com and adjust plex advertise_ip env variable, and make the feeder a different subdomain, e.g. feeder.yourdomain.com) install the feeder containers (sonarr/radarr/sabnzbd/nzbhydra/etc.)

On your home box go to pgvault and backup.your feeder containers. Once complete, either stop the feeder containers from home if you want to be able to start them as.a backup if something happens to vps, or remove them. On your feeder box use pg vault to restore the feeder containers from your home instances backup.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending