Slow Speeds on Germany based Hetzner Dedi | PlexGuide.com

Slow Speeds on Germany based Hetzner Dedi

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
Hey Y'all,

As of this morning, I can't stream anything in plex. It seems I am having horrible upload speeds on my Ex-62 based in Germany which I can safely assume is causing the plex issues. Anyone else with a Hetzner server from Germany having issues today?

1591203226456.png

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Nope, have you checked what metadata is showing in terms of activity or tried a reboot?

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
Nope, have you checked what metadata is showing in terms of activity or tried a reboot?
I have rebooted a couple of times. Since I made this post I opened a ticket with Hetzner and they did a speed test from the rescue system which was plenty fast. According to Netdata there is very little activity.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Ya my server (ironically PG hosted on) is running fine, including the plex server.

rcarteraz

Experienced
Donor
Nov 14, 2018
Yeah, I’ve been experiencing similar issues since the issue yesterday. I can stream for the most part but I’m getting a lot of buffering that I don’t normally don’t.

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
I found some time last night to dig into this. The way plays were acting it kind of reminded me of times when I had an API ban but I checked my google API dashboard and I have not come anywhere close tot he limits recently. Then all of a sudden around 12am ET the issue stopped happening. Now as of this morning the issue is worse than ever. Absolutely nothing will play. I got an S1001 Network Error when trying to play one title but not others. I am rebooting the entire server now but I do suspect redeploying PG is in my near future.

Reactions: 1 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I found some time last night to dig into this. The way plays were acting it kind of reminded me of times when I had an API ban but I checked my google API dashboard and I have not come anywhere close tot he limits recently. Then all of a sudden around 12am ET the issue stopped happening. Now as of this morning the issue is worse than ever. Absolutely nothing will play. I got an S1001 Network Error when trying to play one title but not others. I am rebooting the entire server now but I do suspect redeploying PG is in my near future.
Ya i would. Again, I haven't seen this. So I run a feeder and a player as two instances on proxmox and the drives are linked via two different projects. I just run nzbget and sonarr/radarr and then plex to scan every 6 hours for the player and zero issues.

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
This is really frustrating. So I noticed some other users streaming off my server without issue. I checked and they are not having any issues. I even made sure to ask someone in the same region to test thinking maybe this was a routing issue. So now I am thinking the issue is with my local network. I took my cell phone off the WiFi but still have the same issue on cellular. On my local network, the Plex web app, android app, and android tv app all have the issue. The windows app on my local network works just fine. I am located in the USA central time zone but have access to computers in the eastern time zone. I tested via browser from one of those computers and it works fine. There really is no rhyme or reason for this pattern of what works and what doesn't.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
This is really frustrating. So I noticed some other users streaming off my server without issue. I checked and they are not having any issues. I even made sure to ask someone in the same region to test thinking maybe this was a routing issue. So now I am thinking the issue is with my local network. I took my cell phone off the WiFi but still have the same issue on cellular. On my local network, the Plex web app, android app, and android tv app all have the issue. The windows app on my local network works just fine. I am located in the USA central time zone but have access to computers in the eastern time zone. I tested via browser from one of those computers and it works fine. There really is no rhyme or reason for this pattern of what works and what doesn't.
Ya with hetzner it can be a wild card. I know this sounds odd, but try to deploy a cloud instance with hetzner or amazon and run a mini setup and see how it streams. It's difficult because your testing against 1 one server. It's good you tested via celluar and took others steps. In the past, there was other hetzner servers i had that did cause problems. what you can do is friend others with other servers. send me a pm and we can trade. mine runs on the AX61 so you can run a test via mine and i can test yours. others can jump in if you allow.

rcarteraz

Experienced
Donor
Nov 14, 2018
I'm having similar issues as you. I've rebooted the server, restarted all clients. Constant buffering that I've never dealt with until yesterday. It's quite annoying.

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
I am beyond perPLEXed by this. I will try and break down my exact scenarios. Let me know if this matches your scenarios.

From on my home network, wired or wireless, I can't stream anything when using my Shield, Android App, or Web Player. I can however stream just fine using the Windows app or an iPhone (even when casting to the shield). When I try my Android on cellular I still cannot stream anything so this kind of rules out a local network issue. I have had several users report they are not having any issues with any client via cellular or WiFi. Using my account I can stream just fine using the web player on a computer outside my network. The computer I am testing from is in a completely different region of the USA than where I am located.
Post automatically merged:

I had never used the windows app before so I thought maybe it was an issue with previously existing clients. I unauthorized every client on my list and set up my phone and shield again. I also reset the apps on those devices. The problem still persisted.

I also forgot to mention all of these same scenarios hold true even against someone else server. Thank you to @Admin9705 for allowing me to test against a server of his.

Last edited:

Robo

Citizen+
Dec 7, 2018
I'm not alone! cuse the same thing is happening to my MB server, but its not all the time. usually happens in the afternoon, sometimes in the mornings EST, With CF or without same thing. I also try a VPN and keeps happening.

Syndrogo

Experienced
Staff
Mar 2, 2018
This is a stupid thing to do try playing the stuff as original and don't transcode. I have issues time to time on my local dedicated transcoding.

Also last bit is phone could have different codecs that take longer to process.

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
This is a stupid thing to do try playing the stuff as original and don't transcode. I have issues time to time on my local dedicated transcoding.

Also last bit is phone could have different codecs that take longer to process.
Behavior is still the same regardless of transcoding.

In regards to the phone, I would agree with this and that would indicate it was client-specific. I have the same problem using the web player via chrome but only from my home network. This tells me it's not just client-specific but there is a mother variable.

I'm not alone! cuse the same thing is happening to my MB server, but its not all the time. usually happens in the afternoon, sometimes in the mornings EST, With CF or without same thing. I also try a VPN and keeps happening.
My problem is a bit more consistent but I also have seen it come and go. Two days ago it suddenly cleared up at 12am ET. The next morning the problem was back. I waited for that time to come last night to see if there was a pattern but 12am came and went with the problem still persisting. Now all of a sudden this morning things seem to be working well again.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

nocturne1

Active
Donor
Feb 19, 2019
Disabled CF (waited/forced DNS to clear), and streamed just fine last night. Had something similar happen a few months ago. I'd guess that there are some strange peering issues on their link. At least, for me.

UncleBuck

Elite
Original poster
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
Disabled CF (waited/forced DNS to clear), and streamed just fine last night. Had something similar happen a few months ago. I'd guess that there are some strange peering issues on their link. At least, for me.
I am inclined to agree with you and suspected this from the beginning since other regions seemed to be fine. What confused the issue for me was that some clients didn't have the issue and my users in the same region as me didn't have the issue at all. Been solid for me over the last 4 hours now so hopefully, all stays well.

If you don't' mind sharing, where are you located?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!