- Dec 21, 2018
I have rebooted a couple of times. Since I made this post I opened a ticket with Hetzner and they did a speed test from the rescue system which was plenty fast. According to Netdata there is very little activity.Nope, have you checked what metadata is showing in terms of activity or tried a reboot?
Ya i would. Again, I haven't seen this. So I run a feeder and a player as two instances on proxmox and the drives are linked via two different projects. I just run nzbget and sonarr/radarr and then plex to scan every 6 hours for the player and zero issues.I found some time last night to dig into this. The way plays were acting it kind of reminded me of times when I had an API ban but I checked my google API dashboard and I have not come anywhere close tot he limits recently. Then all of a sudden around 12am ET the issue stopped happening. Now as of this morning the issue is worse than ever. Absolutely nothing will play. I got an S1001 Network Error when trying to play one title but not others. I am rebooting the entire server now but I do suspect redeploying PG is in my near future.
Ya with hetzner it can be a wild card. I know this sounds odd, but try to deploy a cloud instance with hetzner or amazon and run a mini setup and see how it streams. It's difficult because your testing against 1 one server. It's good you tested via celluar and took others steps. In the past, there was other hetzner servers i had that did cause problems. what you can do is friend others with other servers. send me a pm and we can trade. mine runs on the AX61 so you can run a test via mine and i can test yours. others can jump in if you allow.This is really frustrating. So I noticed some other users streaming off my server without issue. I checked and they are not having any issues. I even made sure to ask someone in the same region to test thinking maybe this was a routing issue. So now I am thinking the issue is with my local network. I took my cell phone off the WiFi but still have the same issue on cellular. On my local network, the Plex web app, android app, and android tv app all have the issue. The windows app on my local network works just fine. I am located in the USA central time zone but have access to computers in the eastern time zone. I tested via browser from one of those computers and it works fine. There really is no rhyme or reason for this pattern of what works and what doesn't.
Behavior is still the same regardless of transcoding.This is a stupid thing to do try playing the stuff as original and don't transcode. I have issues time to time on my local dedicated transcoding.
Also last bit is phone could have different codecs that take longer to process.
My problem is a bit more consistent but I also have seen it come and go. Two days ago it suddenly cleared up at 12am ET. The next morning the problem was back. I waited for that time to come last night to see if there was a pattern but 12am came and went with the problem still persisting. Now all of a sudden this morning things seem to be working well again.I'm not alone! cuse the same thing is happening to my MB server, but its not all the time. usually happens in the afternoon, sometimes in the mornings EST, With CF or without same thing. I also try a VPN and keeps happening.
I am inclined to agree with you and suspected this from the beginning since other regions seemed to be fine. What confused the issue for me was that some clients didn't have the issue and my users in the same region as me didn't have the issue at all. Been solid for me over the last 4 hours now so hopefully, all stays well.Disabled CF (waited/forced DNS to clear), and streamed just fine last night. Had something similar happen a few months ago. I'd guess that there are some strange peering issues on their link. At least, for me.