Discussion - Slow Upload Speeds using Blitz | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Slow Upload Speeds using Blitz

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
I use unencrypted Blitz and just last night I started getting really slow upload speeds, like 400 Kbps. I have run Speedtest and the RClone speed test built into PGBlitz and both show no issues. For example, the Rclone speed test uploaded a 4 GB file in just over a minute. But I have a TV episode uploading that is 4 GB and it is taking 3 hours to upload. Is there anything I can do to check why this is happening?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
That's funny, I just started noticing this too over the last 2 days or so. The upload speed will randomly drop to ~400-500Kbs (5mbs) for hours, then sky rocket back to 500mbs (50Mbs). I thought maybe I was being throttled even though I'm nowhere close to 750gb (I'm using drive encrypted, not team drive.) My only thought was I was scanning in a lot of new media on other Plex servers from that drive, but with different accounts that have access to the share, so maybe Google didn't like all the API hits to the drive and throttled me. Honestly I'm not sure but I've been doing that for weeks and the slow uploads just started this past weekend.

Just to make sure it's not a provider issue, your host isn't out of Kansas by chance is it?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yep. Me too. Must be them. I'll open a ticket and see what they say. It's odd though because downloading from Google drive via rclone and uploading anywhere else is fine. Just uploads to GD are slow.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
I find it strange that the RClone speed test that is built in works just fine but then actually uploading files doesn't work.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
My host is actually out of KC. At first I thought they might be having a network issue but then when speedtest and the RClone speedtest came back with no issues I ruled that out. But maybe the RClone speedtest does something different than what Blitz or PG Move does?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
WholesaleInternet? Maybe has something to do with the Superbowl? No idea. I just watched a few more transfers and it's completely random. Watched one 3gb file start at 500k then like 3 mins later shot up to 35Mbs. I know all those days centers ,temok, Joe's, wholesale, etc peer off of Google's fiber project, so maybe that backhaul is having some issue.
Post automatically merged:

So opened a ticket with WI, they responded super fast and had me run an mtr. I did and it was normal. They said not seeing anything on their end but can't be a coincidence. I wonder if Google is seeing too much traffic coming from their peering point and throttling or something. I did an upload test from neighboring Joe's with a different Google account and got straight 700mbs for an entire 100GB upload. So I think something is definitely being throttled inside of WI.

Last edited:

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
I will submit a ticket too and let them know other users are seeing the issue as well. Is there anything we can do at this point or do we just have to wait it out?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
They already responded and had me run an mtr report which was fine.

Prob have to wait it out but I just watched pgui. It was towards the end of a 3gb file at 500k. It took 58m to upload. It then moved to the next file which was a 28gb file and immediately burst to 400mbs for the entire transfer. The fact that the first file seemed to sustain the slow speed and the second sustained the faster speed leads me to believe it might be the peering to one of Google's front ends.

I don't know how they do their load balancing but I do know users get bounced around between nodes to spread the traffic. My guess is when rclone starts it's transfer and makes the call out to drive.google.com, which Google's dns resolves to a node with the least load, if it gets the "bad node" address, we see poor speeds.

This is nothing more than a guess though. It could be a million things at this point. I'm probably gonna give it a week or so before worrying about it.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Ok thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how it all worked and that helped. Have you noticed any issues with buffering on Plex? I was watching a movie last night and the first half was fine but then it started buffering a lot which is when I noticed the RClone issues.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Now that you mention it I did notice it once last week but I was also doing a massive media import so I had attributed all these symptoms to that. But right now it's doing the 500k upload thing again and I started a 4k movie stream and it's playing fine and even filling in the buffer cache. Coincidentally with a sub 3gb file too. And as I type this, it jumped to 400mbs for the next upload. Very odd.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
That's exactly what mine looks like too. The smaller files seem to take longer for whatever reason.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
1580833641516.png
Oh boy... Had the issue again last ngiht where playing the movie was going fine for a while then it just would constantly buffer.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
And the upload finished already. Guess it decided to start working again for the moment.

sicwithit

Citizen+
Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Yep I haven't noticed any slow speeds today. I think I am going to try and download a whole season of a tv show to test.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending