Streaming from local server - buffering at high frame rate

something

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
4:33 PM
Feb 15, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I tried looking for an answer but did not find one.

I run plex served and PGDrive on a local Ubuntu 18.04 server with ethernet cable maximum download speed of ~95 Mbps. Everything on direct play.
Most 4K Remux movies from PGdrive runs smoothly. But, whenever there is a high frame rate (and I guess high bitrate) on the movie for example in an action scene the movie starts buffering. I believe it has to do with the internet speed. As I read somewhere the bitrate on these scenes may go upto 120 Mbps and the ethernet on my old laptop only supports upto ~95 Mbps (although I have a 150 Mbps connection). What should I do?

How does the stream from Gdrive work? Is there any setting where I can tweak it to cache almost the whole movie on my laptop server while I watch it on Android TV clinet (Plex addon on Kodi). I know Kodi had a zero caching option. Does plex have anything similar?

Thanks,
V

hawk2g

Local time
12:33 PM
May 2, 2018
You can tweak these rclone options in your gdrive.service file, located at /etc/systemd/system
--vfs-read-chunk-size
The amount of data it gets per chunk. PG default is 32M
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit
The limit the initial chunk size doubles up to after each successful download. E.g. first chunk would be 32M and then 64M, 128M, etc until it reaches this "limit". PG default is 1G
--buffer-size
The amount of streamed data stored in RAM. PG default is 32M. *Please correct me if wrong, many users reported differently on how it works with VFS caching.

You can try increasing these numbers but these will cause longer start times as it downloads more initially. Remember that very high bitrate scenes could go through 32MBs for only 5 seconds of play before it buffers again.

Just run these commands when you done editing the gdrive.service file.
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart gdrive.service

something

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
Feb 15, 2018
You can tweak these rclone options in your gdrive.service file, located at /etc/systemd/system
--vfs-read-chunk-size
The amount of data it gets per chunk. PG default is 32M
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit
The limit the initial chunk size doubles up to after each successful download. E.g. first chunk would be 32M and then 64M, 128M, etc until it reaches this "limit". PG default is 1G
--buffer-size
The amount of streamed data stored in RAM. PG default is 32M. *Please correct me if wrong, many users reported differently on how it works with VFS caching.

You can try increasing these numbers but these will cause longer start times as it downloads more initially. Remember that very high bitrate scenes could go through 32MBs for only 5 seconds of play before it buffers again.

Just run these commands when you done editing the gdrive.service file.
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart gdrive.service

Thanks. I will try this and report back.

something

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
Feb 15, 2018
Sorry noob here. I have not used linux before setting up the plexguide server on my old laptop.

The file you suggested you edit seems to be a readonly file. It does not allow me to save changes in the original file. How do I do this? Is there any command I can use to access the file and save it?

Thx,
V

IhToN

Donor
Local time
12:33 AM
Jun 24, 2018
Kiel
Sorry noob here. I have not used linux before setting up the plexguide server on my old laptop.

The file you suggested you edit seems to be a readonly file. It does not allow me to save changes in the original file. How do I do this? Is there any command I can use to access the file and save it?

Thx,
V
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/gdrive.service

You have to edit it with "root" permissions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.