Donor
Local time
10:39 PM
Mar 13, 2018
Mount Type
Move Unencrypted
Server Type
Local - Dedicated Server
I want to spend around 200-250. Need a computer powerful enough to deal with the daily grind of sabnzbd sonarr and radarr and the inner workings of pgmove plexdrive rclone. As a last requirement I’d like the cpu to support quicksync for some hardware transcoding.

Are there any good Pre-Built systems out there, and if not could any one suggest which component would work good together if I had to build it myself

Reactions: maverickplex

axlrod

Local time
Jun 6, 2019
I don't what you plan to use for Storage but I'd look at an i5 Intel NUC. Plenty of oomph and handles collection and serving really well.

spediegun

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Mar 13, 2018
thanks for replies guys I have actually moved on from both a synology nas and an i5 nuc. While both are perfectly capable plex servers for direct steaming or playing neither are really that good for transcoding for multiple users nor are the cpus fast enough to deal with intense downloading and repairing.

I don't plan on storing my files locally still using pgblitz and gdrive for that. just need a server to run my plex and pgblitz on. I never really understood why does everyone pay all those big dollars a month for some server running all the way in germany somewhere, when you can buy a cheap computer leave it on all the time and let it do the same thing for you. I understand that some people are serious power downloadeders and need the those high speed data connections but now with this new gce I still take advantage of the high speeds for free and serve up my plex locally

matt314159

Donor
Local time
9:39 PM
Nov 29, 2018
FWIW I pay €34/mo (about $38 USD) for a Hetzner EX42-NVME which is an i7-7700, with 2x 512GB NVME SSDs, 64GB of RAM, and a symmetrical dedicated gigabit internet connection with no data caps or throttles.

I'd say if you have a gigabit fiber connection at home, then the need for something like that is less, but where I live, the fastest, flagship internet tier only offers 20mbps upload. So in addition to some really beastly server hardware, that $38/mo buys me an unlimited symetrical gigabit internet connection. I can download 4x as fast and upload 50x faster than on my 250Mb/20Mb home connection.

So I think the money is well spent when you consider that it comes with a blazing fast internet connection not accessible to many households. If you are only running a plex server for use inside your network and don't have any remote users then I think the paradigm changes quite a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.