Discussion - Traefik on interesting network not deploying. | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Traefik on interesting network not deploying.

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Horatius369

Citizen+
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Hello,

I decided to dive into PG again because it is still something I want to do but always get into problems a give up eventually, but no more!
I currently live on a university campus where I have an ethernet connection in the wall and I can just plug in a device (I added a gigabit switch btw), enter the mac address on a site and have access to the internet.
I have a domain on goDaddy and entered an A address with host @ and pointing to the IP of my server/PC. When I ping my domain on a different PC then I get back the IP from the server. I also added it in the hosts file like x.x.x.x domain.com.

When I try to deploy traefik, it says deployed incorrectly and I have no idea where to start. It is a clean install of ubuntu

EDIT:
I also added an A domain pointed to my IP with a wildcard (*) as host.
The notes are: Possiby unable to reach subdomaines
subdomains will provide insecure warnings.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Kind regards,

Last edited:

dreadmclaren

Citizen
Donor
Jan 14, 2019
I always had issues with GoDaddy. I did get it working, but I have since moved to Cloudflare and recommend you do that too.

Regardless, if you still have portainer as your top level domain, make sure you have an additional A record for portainer in your DNS settings pointing to your server IP.

I also noticed that the API wouldn't work unless I actually close the client and secret page/notice from my API key first and then run Traefik after. Make sure you're using the "Production" API key and not the "ote" key.

Also check the Traefik logs in portainer for what it is exactly having an error doing.

Reactions: 1 user

Horatius369

Citizen+
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
I always had issues with GoDaddy. I did get it working, but I have since moved to Cloudflare and recommend you do that too.

Regardless, if you still have portainer as your top level domain, make sure you have an additional A record for portainer in your DNS settings pointing to your server IP.

I also noticed that the API wouldn't work unless I actually close the client and secret page/notice from my API key first and then run Traefik after. Make sure you're using the "Production" API key and not the "ote" key.

Also check the Traefik logs in portainer for what it is exactly having an error doing.
I added an A domain with host: "portainer", still unable to deploy.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with portainer and traefik and this was the first hurdle I want to pass to get on with radarr etc where I'm more familiar. Where to find the logs?

EDIT:
Here are the logs:
time="2020-04-20T23:53:57+02:00" level=error msg="Unable to obtain ACME certificate for domains \"xxxxx.com\" : unable to generate a certificate for the domains [xxxxx.com]: acme: Error -> One or more domains had a problem:\n[xxxxx.com] [xxxxx.com] acme: error presenting token: could not create record [{\"type\":\"TXT\",\"name\":\"_acme-challenge\",\"data\":\"yrg_UlMArs--1bSmqHG5tJkTiUGNVT6idWipiQBiyIY\",\"ttl\":600}]; Status: 401; Body: {\"code\":\"UNABLE_TO_AUTHENTICATE\",\"message\":\"Unauthorized : Could not authenticate API key/secret\"}\n"
time="2020-04-20T23:53:58+02:00" level=error msg="Unable to obtain ACME certificate for domains \"*.xxxxxx.com\" : unable to generate a certificate for the domains [*.xxxxxx.com]: acme: Error -> One or more domains had a problem:\n[*.xxxxxx.com] [*.xxxxx.com] acme: error presenting token: could not create record [{\"type\":\"TXT\",\"name\":\"_acme-challenge\",\"data\":\"Desf_KLIxT2k5ygMxvsgIy8C1zQMb4o4_35MEFaXnDs\",\"ttl\":600}]; Status: 401; Body: {\"code\":\"UNABLE_TO_AUTHENTICATE\",\"message\":\"Unauthorized : Could not authenticate API key/secret\"}\n"

Seems like API key fault or something to me

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
Going to echo @dreadmclaren's above comment by saying I had issues with GoDaddy at the beginning of the project and since then I moved to CloudFlare. They have a much cleaner user interface too.

kiityman

Active
Donor
Feb 1, 2020
Did you read the wiki? A record pointed at your ip and cname records for subdomains pointed at your domain.

Horatius369

Citizen+
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Did you read the wiki? A record pointed at your ip and cname records for subdomains pointed at your domain.
Thing is that is not in the wiki :)
Also CNames and A records should work both, CNames are just better practice.

I will go on tomorrow and maybe switch to Cloudflare if I cannot find the prblem.

kiityman

Active
Donor
Feb 1, 2020
Thing is that is not in the wiki :)
Also CNames and A records should work both, CNames are just better practice.

I will go on tomorrow and maybe switch to Cloudflare if I cannot find the prblem.
Thought you were using cloudflare. I would switch to it. Do what I said though

Horatius369

Citizen+
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
It still says it is deployed incorrectly but when I go to my domain I can access portainer..... I also changed it to CNAME with Adres @ and host portainer.

Can I just run it like this while it says it is incorrect?
Post automatically merged:

I changed to cloudflare DNS, fixed everything and now it is also proxied throug CF so that is nice. Thanks ppl!

Last edited:

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending