Local time
4:42 AM
Nov 1, 2018
PG Version
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
hey there
i grabbed myself a domain on black friday at namecheap incl. SSL
i tried to deploy via plexguide, however, it asks me for an API. namecheap allows API only with 20+ domains or $50 purchases in total over at least 2 years.
what am i supposed to do now?

also, the wiki doesn't say anything for namecheap, unfortunatley. will this be rewritten?

or am i just unlucky and need to choose some other provider?

thanks for clarifying

// Edit: logs from traefik in portainer
Code:
time="2018-12-03T18:45:52+01:00" level=error msg="Unable to obtain ACME certificate for domains \"*.domain.abc\" : cannot get ACME client namecheap: some credentials information are missing: NAMECHEAP_API_USER,NAMECHEAP_API_KEY"
i believe that also has to do something with my SSL validation not working properly?

Last edited:

Jampher

Local time
7:42 PM
May 20, 2018
I believe that if your provider does not appear in the list, your only option is the Cloudflare approach, which is in the wiki.

pYTTH

Original poster
Staff
Local time
Nov 1, 2018
it is in the list of PG so i went with NC for that reason...

what does @Admin9705 say?

Jampher

Local time
May 20, 2018
Unfortunately, without an API, it won't work. Cloudflare is the only route. But I'll let @Admin9705 confirm. :)

tonycfromit

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
Mar 16, 2018
hey there
i grabbed myself a domain on black friday at namecheap incl. SSL
i tried to deploy via plexguide, however, it asks me for an API. namecheap allows API only with 20+ domains or $50 purchases in total over at least 2 years.
what am i supposed to do now?

also, the wiki doesn't say anything for namecheap, unfortunatley. will this be rewritten?

or am i just unlucky and need to choose some other provider?

thanks for clarifying

// Edit: logs from traefik in portainer
Code:
time="2018-12-03T18:45:52+01:00" level=error msg="Unable to obtain ACME certificate for domains \"*.domain.abc\" : cannot get ACME client namecheap: some credentials information are missing: NAMECHEAP_API_USER,NAMECHEAP_API_KEY"
i believe that also has to do something with my SSL validation not working properly?

You set up cloudflare to do the DNS and then you wait about an hour and at that point Cloudflare takes care of the rest. I went way out of my way on this just like you are, but you just set the Cloudflare DNS servers as your domains DNS at namecheap (settings that Cloudflare tells you) and then after that you modify your Cloudflare settings (I made a new project there for my new domain) via the WIKI here once the DNS settings replicate. I dont remember which checklist i followed on the cloudflare site that told me where to go and what to do for setting my new NameCheap domain to use Cloudflare servers (they have names like joe and mary and chris and then the rest of their domain) but I know that I was able to do so from their instructions without too much difficulty.

Reactions: pYTTH

pYTTH

Original poster
Staff
Local time
Nov 1, 2018
thanks @tonycfromit - will have a look at this right now. so basicly that means not to use namecheap (got a domain on blackfriday for cheap), but instead use cloudflare?
what is the rest of you guys using?
please share your toughts

tonycfromit

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
Mar 16, 2018
thanks @tonycfromit - will have a look at this right now. so basicly that means not to use namecheap (got a domain on blackfriday for cheap), but instead use cloudflare?
what is the rest of you guys using?
please share your toughts
You use namecheap to buy the domains and you use cloudflare to do DNS so you can use Traefik and CDN. Cloudflare is free to use this way and NameCheap gives you cheaper names, so it is good to use both in that way.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Maintenance Donations

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending