Transcoding Hetzner EX42 CPU usage and choppy playback | PlexGuide.com

Transcoding Hetzner EX42 CPU usage and choppy playback

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

WR138

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
So I just attempted to configure hardware encoding and 2 things happened.
1. Plex on my TV looks great
2. Plex on my computer is "choppy"

So I went to check plex in portainer and this is what my CPU usage showed.

1579880003362.png

Soooooo is that looking right? Also the "choppy" playback on the PC, should I assume that is a separate issue?

Anything I should be checking?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
By choppy do you mean blocky? If I had to guess one of three things happened:
1. The setting didn't take effect. Did you reboot after the changes?
2. Your tv used CPU and your PC used hardware. Depending on the GPU/CPU doing the encoding, they often look worse than software encoding, especially for older gpus. Some older gpus can't do encodes over a certain bitrate or to certain formats, and therefore may force it software depending on your TV client.
3. Your remote streaming bw is set higher on your TV client than in your Plex web settings. This has nothing to do with why the CPU is spiking, but may explain the quality diffs.

WR138

Citizen+
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
I did reboot and I'll check my settings again in plex.
"Choppy" = the playback will freeze and then catch up again to the audio.
The more I have been thinking about it I I should check my PC settings also.
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I've seen this before but never found a root cause. Sometimes it's the source media, sometimes it's the specific client, sometimes it's the server. I would narrow it down by trying different clients (web, roku, etc). If they all do it consistently, then try transcoding, direct play, and see if one does it and one doesn't. Try disabling HW transcode (restart plex container), etc. etc.

Once narrowed you can hone in on that area, or post/share the logs if you want community help. :) Hope you got this resolved though!
-Ed

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending