Transmission Auto VPN | PlexGuide.com

Transmission Auto VPN

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Elevarion

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Still going through the Initial Setup and configuration but I noticed something I wanted to suggest before I forgot. On my previous server one of the things I used was the following Docker Container of Transmission with OpenVPN built in. It supports a very long list of common VPN providers and will only allow torrents to work when the VPN is actually active.

Just thinking that there is no use is re-inventing the wheel here.

https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn

Could not find this mentioned anywhere, so thought I would. :)

Elevarion

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
That looks like a [email protected]$$ script. Did you do anything to limit the amount of uploaded data or not ?
I can't take any credit for that script unfortunately, as it is really cool. When I used it I did not have many limits on my connection, so I just set a ratio within transmission for 1:1. Not hard to limit it that way. Not sure if any customization has been to the Torrent providers in PG.

Now that I am getting further in to the setup, I am wondering at the feasibility as PG has an option for multiple different torrent providers. Might indeed need a central VPN Container. Seems that might get awkward with routing traffic through it though.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I can't take any credit for that script unfortunately, as it is really cool. When I used it I did not have many limits on my connection, so I just set a ratio within transmission for 1:1. Not hard to limit it that way. Not sure if any customization has been to the Torrent providers in PG.

Now that I am getting further in to the setup, I am wondering at the feasibility as PG has an option for multiple different torrent providers. Might indeed need a central VPN Container. Seems that might get awkward with routing traffic through it though.
Honestly we need help for this. If anyone wants to fork, add to theirs, and push; well support it.

Elevarion

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Honestly we need help for this. If anyone wants to fork, add to theirs, and push; well support it.
What route did you want to go. VPN Setup for each individual Torrent Containers or a Global VPN Container the traffic gets routes through?

Should be easy to just add Transmission-vpn as a new PG option to at least have one working VPN torrent client. Not so sure about the others just yet, need to take a look. Never went over their code too closely. Just glad it worked so well.

Escondido

Experienced+
Feb 16, 2018
What route did you want to go. VPN Setup for each individual Torrent Containers or a Global VPN Container the traffic gets routes through?

Should be easy to just add Transmission-vpn as a new PG option to at least have one working VPN torrent client. Not so sure about the others just yet, need to take a look. Never went over their code too closely. Just glad it worked so well.
Were you using a linux or windows system before? I spent HOURS trying to get openvpn+cyberghost+deluge to work and finally threw in the towel. Tech support couldn't figure it out either, so now I just use that account for a few windows servers.

Ideally, all traffic would be routed through the vpn regardless of the torrent software. But then, you also gotta deal with optimizing that software, which is a lot more complicated than SAB or NZBget. It's a good excuse to do some testing though since there are a few groups I'd like to join as a seeder.

Miguel

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Feb 6, 2018
I would say the easiest option is just a new docker with vpn support built in.

The best future proof one is probably something like this
https://hub.docker.com/r/ekristen/openvpn-router/
That way we can route all of a specific dockers traffic through it, just need to find one that was updated more recently then 2 years ago.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I’ve not tested the rtorrent container under PG (it works under UR), but the binhex deluge container does exactly what people seem to be asking for already and is widely reguarded as a secure implementation - you have quite literally tens of thousands of people using it in the unraid community alone for years, which is where binhex containers came from.

The issues @Escondido ran into are easily solved - just have a look at the binhex support discussion thread/github, the container is locked down using IPTables so it can’t do any DNS, this means you need to supply it with IP addresses for the provider you use, not host names, the beauty and simplicity should be obvious, if your provider goes down, your connection can’t fail over. It also includes the Privoxy Proxy, this lets you point any container at localip:8118 and connect via the VPN. The container/device just needs to support a standard proxy config and can then benefit from a VPN connection without any local performance hit for encryption.

See here: https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn/blob/master/README.md

For those of you wondering, Imagine prior to PG that the unraid community had a virtualised docker system set-up to do a very similar job and had done for 3+ years (technically a lot longer, but it wasn’t docker based back then), back then cloud storage wasn’t a priority, it was all about local storage with parity, it was manual, yes you needed two dockers to get Rclone to mount and expose it to other dockers, but VPN dockers were standard and i’ve personally put literally thousands of GB’s of data through them over the years without any notable issue. My only consideration would be the encryption level is low enough to minimise system overhead, for torrents and normal activity that’s fine, for ‘me and my family will end up being tortured’ scenario’s, you’d probably want to go a different route.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/

Do we need another torrent client? Probably not, transmission is OK, but I prefer deluge/rtorrent, it’s a personal choice, much like Sab vs Get vs. whatever you prefer, all I would suggest is taking the time to understand what is already well proven and working before throwing yet more options in. Nothing to stop you using any unencrypted docker and pointing it at the binhex Privoxy port - just a thought.

Last edited:

Elevarion

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
@Escondido Used both at different times. Linux the most for Transmission.

@Datamonkeh I was not aware of this one, missed it somehow. You are right that does look to be almost exactly what we would need. the only issue being that it is built into the Deluge container and we currently have multiple Clients in PG.

Easy solution here is to just standardize on one client, IE deluge, that can make use of the VPN.

Looking through it however, in he spirit of PG automation, I think the client profiles from the providers could be included as part of PG. When the user variables are prompted for, one of the selections can be what provider you would use so it can load the correct providerconfig file. Looks like the Transmission VPN I linked earlier has all off them as well as auto update scripts for each. Could be useful, properly credited of course.

Escondido

Experienced+
Feb 16, 2018
I’ve not tested the rtorrent container under PG (it works under UR), but the binhex deluge container does exactly what people seem to be asking for already and is widely reguarded as a secure implementation - you have quite literally tens of thousands of people using it in the unraid community alone for years, which is where binhex containers came from.

The issues @Escondido ran into are easily solved - just have a look at the binhex support discussion thread/github, the container is locked down using IPTables so it can’t do any DNS, this means you need to supply it with IP addresses for the provider you use, not host names, the beauty and simplicity should be obvious, if your provider goes down, your connection can’t fail over. It also includes the Privoxy Proxy, this lets you point any container at localip:8118 and connect via the VPN. The container/device just needs to support a standard proxy config and can then benefit from a VPN connection without any local performance hit for encryption.

See here: https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn/blob/master/README.md

For those of you wondering, Imagine prior to PG that the unraid community had a virtualised docker system set-up to do a very similar job and had done for 3+ years (technically a lot longer, but it wasn’t docker based back then), back then cloud storage wasn’t a priority, it was all about local storage with parity, it was manual, yes you needed two dockers to get Rclone to mount and expose it to other dockers, but VPN dockers were standard and i’ve personally put literally thousands of GB’s of data through them over the years without any notable issue. My only consideration would be the encryption level is low enough to minimise system overhead, for torrents and normal activity that’s fine, for ‘me and my family will end up being tortured’ scenario’s, you’d probably want to go a different route.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/

Do we need another torrent client? Probably not, transmission is OK, but I prefer deluge/rtorrent, it’s a personal choice, much like Sab vs Get vs. whatever you prefer, all I would suggest is taking the time to understand what is already well proven and working before throwing yet more options in. Nothing to stop you using any unencrypted docker and pointing it at the binhex Privoxy port - just a thought.
I appreciate the information. Originally I followed the instructions over at Medusa/Github page and always experienced the same issue.

https://github.com/pymedusa/Medusa/wiki/Ultimate-Medusa-Linux-Guide#openvpn

The server would try to connect to the vpn service and then it would automatically log me out. It basically failed to connect and I tried probably 5-10 different ip addresses with my account credentials. Then I attempted to follow a different set of directions using the GUI instead of command prompt. Same issue.

I may have to take a stab at it again though since it would be nice to have a backup when I cannot grab the NZB that I want.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending