Discussion Two Plex Media Servers pointing at the same Google Drive folders?

matt314159

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Reactions
1 0 0
I'm about to set this up and just see what happens, but I have a Hetzner Ex42 dedi server located in Finland. I'm located in Iowa. PlexGuide, google drive, it all works great. The throughput on playback can at times be a bit of a challenge but I can reliably stream about 20mbps bitrate files just fine. Blu-Ray Remuxes tend to want to buffer when direct playing, however. And 4K Remuxes are out of the question.

However, in addition to Hetzner, I have a local Plex Media Server running windows 10 on my 300/10 cable internet at home on StableBit DrivePool. I can access my google drive with Google Drive File Stream, and accessing it this way, I can play 4K Remuxes like butter. They start quickly, they never buffer, the performance difference is night and day.

So I'm thinking of setting up two servers both pointing at my Google Drive:

Hetzner: My download/Processing/Staging/Management server and also PMS that all my remote users connect to for their streams.
Local: Plex Media Server only; Playback only within my local network. I want my 4K Remuxes.

Will this result in me getting API banned? It would be two PMS instances looking at the same set of media folders on Google Drive, one through PlexGuide's UnionFS and one through Windows 10 Google File Stream. Additionally, I'd be running Sonarr and Radarr on my Hetzner/Plexguide server.

Am I good? Will I regret it somehow through causing problems with my google drive or is there anything I've overlooked or should consider instead? It seems pretty logical to let me stream my super-high bitrate files directly from google at home and bypass hetzner for much better performance, but I want to make sure I think it through properly.

Thanks.

Edit- Something that might also be pertinent is that I'll have a pretty large movie collection, within six months up in the 3-4,000 range and a hundred or more complete TV series. The TV series I can probably stream from hetzner if that helps keep the number of API hits down. But the movies are really what I want to be able to stream at the highest bitrates.

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018
Reactions
2,104 0 0
you can point 3 servers if u want. what you want to do is not run 3 initial scans at the same time (the very first ones)

matt314159

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Reactions
1 0 0
Okay, that's perfect, thanks. Hetzner's already set up and happy so I'll configure the plex library on my Win10 home server after work and get the initial scan taken care of. I only have about 350 movies right now and no TV shows so that should be relatively painless.

matt314159

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Reactions
1 0 0
Yeah I've got 60TB on my home server but starting over in the cloud redownloading it all. This is a bit over a week's worth of new additions, sitting around 6TB in my google drive. Maxing out the 750GB/day.

PG Developer Donations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabelo01