Ubuntu GUI via web or VNC: ubvnc | PlexGuide.com

Ubuntu GUI via web or VNC: ubvnc

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

timekills

VIP
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
There are times having access to XWin/GUI is beneficial, yet the drag and bloat of the install on the base server is undesirable.
Try out "ubvnc" in the Community Apps section.

It provides a docker-ized GUI interface to Ubuntu including Firefox and Chromium browsers.
Also provides access to the /mnt base folder so you can get to all your local files and those on your Google drives.
Accessible standard VNC (i.e. port 5900 by default) or just via the web interface (ubvnc.whatver.yoursite.com)

Default VNC and user passwords are !PGtest!
I recommend you change them after install for obvious reasons...
Web-based access also includes Google Authentication if you have it turned on for your containers.

Reactions: 4 users

vFlagR

Experienced+
Staff
Aug 27, 2018
This is neat, will give this a go tomorrow!

doggy28

Citizen
Donor
Mar 30, 2019
Thank you for this... looks like its working well but how do you change the default password ?

timekills

VIP
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
Thank you for this... looks like its working well but how do you change the default password ?
There are two ways; either manually through Portainer or automated through SSL into your machine.

1. SSL into your machine: I have the code in the file to have the user input the passwords upon installation but right now the main PlexGuide Ansible script seems to bypass it. If you run it manually after the install it will ask you to change the password(s). Everything else will remain (backups if requested upon install, removal through PlexGuide, etc.)

SSL Instructions:
A. SSL into your main box (like you did to install it.)
B. As sudo or root type (without quotes) "ansible-playbook /opt/communityapps/apps/ubvnc.yml"
C. Enter in your choice of passwords when asked during the re-install

2. Through Portainer instructions:
A. In Portainer, click on the "ubvnc" container in the containers section
B. Near the top of that page, click the blue button labeled "Duplicate/Edit"
C. Under "Advanced container settings" (near the bottom of the page), click the "Env" button
D. Change the two Environment variables for "PASSWORD" and "VNC_PASSWORD".
- PASSWORD is the user/SUDO password
- VNC_PASSWORD is the VNC web page access password
E. Under "Actions", click the blue button labeled "Deploy the container"
F. it will ask "Are you sure?"; Click the red button "Replace"

Reactions: 2 users

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Eager to know which you all think is better best, people.
A GUI was something i was desperate for many moons ago but much less so lately.
Nonetheless, would appreciate your thoughts as to the winner and i will give it a whirl.

dP

Jampher

Active
May 20, 2018
Works great! Was looking for something like this but didn't have the tech know-how to get it running. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

timekills

VIP
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
Eager to know which you all think is better best, people.
A GUI was something i was desperate for many moons ago but much less so lately.
Nonetheless, would appreciate your thoughts as to the winner and i will give it a whirl.

dP
I didn't need one for ages, just di everything via command line, but what tipped it for me was the speed of the CPU and 1Gb network on the Hetzner server for video capture and editing.
I've uploaded a number of GUI-based MP4/MKV editing apps that handled most of it, but none were able to do the recording of a video on the server; they are great for tweaking or editing an already recorded and uploaded video.

I won't get into too much detail due to differing copyright laws across countries, but as a military member I'm deployed frequently, and usually to locations with barely acceptable internet, and limited PC power for video work. Recording a video can take hours, then using a less than speedy laptop to edit, and then to have to upload it back to the server was just wasting time and bandwidth. Let's just say I'm a big sports fan, and rarely get to see the games of the teams I follow, so this is one way to record the games and watch them later.

Xtreme Download Manager has a terrific Linux implementation (it's quite good on Windows as well, by the way) that I use to record the clips on the server, but obviously you need a GUI to do it. I was running it in my Firefox stand-alone Docker, but then started building yet another Docker implementation to run a TS file to mpeg4 (MP4 or MKV) extraction, audio extraction, another to do the editing and remuxing...etc. etc.

Finally I just thought I can spin this Docker up whenever I need to do the editing, and go into Portainer and shut it down when I'm not using it (if CPU cycles are a concern. It's pretty lightweight when not accessed though, so the only real reason to shut the UBVNC down in between uses is to remove one more vector for remote intrusion.)

Reactions: 1 user

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending