Plex - Unable to deploy Plex - "/dev/dri": not a device node | PlexGuide.com

Plex Unable to deploy Plex - "/dev/dri": not a device node

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

crashedicon

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Mar 22, 2019
PG Related
Yes
Server Type
Dedicated Remote
Hello All,

I seriously need some assistance. Let me know if I need to move this somewhere else, or if I've missed something, but I feel like I've read every post on the issue (and similar) and still can't get a solution. I've fought with this over the past day/day and a half so please help.

I have a Hetzner dedicated AMD based server, and currently Plex will not deploy correctly. In Docker it just says "Created." The error message I get When deploying is:

TASK [Deploy Plex Container (Remote Edition)] **********************************
Friday 11 September 2020 17:26:08 -0400 (0:00:00.009) 0:00:05.201 ******
fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Error starting container 13a71fefxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxef6ef25f04b2xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (\"error gathering device information while adding custom device \"/dev/dri\": not a device node\")"}

I am trying to deploy latest, not beta, but I have tried both with the same result.

I did read MrDoob's responses here: https://plexguide.com/threads/issue...g-pg-hetzner-igpu-gpu-hw-transcode-tool.4593/
But I never enabled igpu hw transcoding and the links he posted are to an old PlexGuide wiki page that has been removed.

I have also tried to remove /dev/dri in the dockers Runtime & Resources page. Also I tried setting it to privileged mode, and whenever I do either of these I get the following error in the logs:
PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

I have also rebooted several times without any luck.
Also I fully removed the Plex container and appdata folder for a clean install, the issue persisted. Then I tried restoring a backup, and the issue persisted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
cd /opt/coreapps/apps/
sudo nano plex.yml

Remove the /dev/dri line.

sudo ansible-playbook plex.yml

Reactions: 1 users

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Hello All,

I seriously need some assistance. Let me know if I need to move this somewhere else, or if I've missed something, but I feel like I've read every post on the issue (and similar) and still can't get a solution. I've fought with this over the past day/day and a half so please help.

I have a Hetzner dedicated AMD based server, and currently Plex will not deploy correctly. In Docker it just says "Created." The error message I get When deploying is:

TASK [Deploy Plex Container (Remote Edition)] **********************************
Friday 11 September 2020 17:26:08 -0400 (0:00:00.009) 0:00:05.201 ******
fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Error starting container 13a71fefxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxef6ef25f04b2xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (\"error gathering device information while adding custom device \"/dev/dri\": not a device node\")"}

I am trying to deploy latest, not beta, but I have tried both with the same result.

I did read MrDoob's responses here: https://plexguide.com/threads/issue...g-pg-hetzner-igpu-gpu-hw-transcode-tool.4593/
But I never enabled igpu hw transcoding and the links he posted are to an old PlexGuide wiki page that has been removed.

I have also tried to remove /dev/dri in the dockers Runtime & Resources page. Also I tried setting it to privileged mode, and whenever I do either of these I get the following error in the logs:
PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

I have also rebooted several times without any luck.
Also I fully removed the Plex container and appdata folder for a clean install, the issue persisted. Then I tried restoring a backup, and the issue persisted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you have two problems. First one, maybe did an apt dist-upgrade and it overwrote the drivers? For that try this if you have igpu:
sudo pg
Pg tools (9)
Gpu enable (option 3)
Select OS, let it do its thing, reboot.

If you still get the dev/dri warning, open portainer, open plex, click dupe/edit. Scroll down to runtime and resources tab, remove /dev/dri mapping.

Regarding the second issue, read/write access, seems like something else is going on there. On the host try sudo chow -Rv username:username /opt/appdata/plex

where username is your Linux username. This will probably take a while. Once done, see if you can start it.

Reactions: 1 user

crashedicon

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Mar 22, 2019
Thank you both a ton,

Sadly late last night when I tried to preform these steps I decided to get a clean slate first. I redeployed Plex and, SOMEHOW!, this time there were no errors and no issues. Only did it 15+ times before this.... After the deployment went through I ran a restore from my backup, which took hours (38GB tar file) and still failed to import my library data. So at this point either I screwed everything up and it is my own fault, or the great gods of Plex and Linux decided they hated me.

Either way, thank you both soo much. If I run into this error again I'll know what to try, and at the very least maybe someone else might be able to use it.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Thank you both a ton,

Sadly late last night when I tried to preform these steps I decided to get a clean slate first. I redeployed Plex and, SOMEHOW!, this time there were no errors and no issues. Only did it 15+ times before this.... After the deployment went through I ran a restore from my backup, which took hours (38GB tar file) and still failed to import my library data. So at this point either I screwed everything up and it is my own fault, or the great gods of Plex and Linux decided they hated me.

Either way, thank you both soo much. If I run into this error again I'll know what to try, and at the very least maybe someone else might be able to use it.
When you did the restore, what do you mean it failed to restore libraries? Like plex came up empty, or wouldn't load? After a restore plex runs through and resets all permissions on files which takes quite a while. So if it seemed like plex wasn't loading it might have just needed time.

Reactions: 1 user

crashedicon

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Mar 22, 2019
When you did the restore, what do you mean it failed to restore libraries? Like plex came up empty, or wouldn't load? After a restore plex runs through and resets all permissions on files which takes quite a while. So if it seemed like plex wasn't loading it might have just needed time.
When doing the restore it always gets stuck at the same file. It only places about 18GBs and sits there for hours. I've actually left it running all morning waiting to see if Plex just needs time, but no luck. As far as what transferred: all my settings, and the server information successfully made it. What failed was the user watch data and there were no libraries.

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
When doing the restore it always gets stuck at the same file. It only places about 18GBs and sits there for hours. I've actually left it running all morning waiting to see if Plex just needs time, but no luck. As far as what transferred: all my settings, and the server information successfully made it. What failed was the user watch data and there were no libraries.
I *think* the restore script deletes the existing folder prior to restore but I'm not sure. The other thing you can try is go to google drive on the web, go to the Plex backup file, right click, manage versions and restore a previous backup vs the latest. Really the only file you need out of the backup is the db ones from Plugin-in Support/Databases. The rest of the metadata will regenerate. But that db has your libraries and watch histories.

crashedicon

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Mar 22, 2019
I *think* the restore script deletes the existing folder prior to restore but I'm not sure. The other thing you can try is go to google drive on the web, go to the Plex backup file, right click, manage versions and restore a previous backup vs the latest. Really the only file you need out of the backup is the db ones from Plugin-in Support/Databases. The rest of the metadata will regenerate. But that db has your libraries and watch histories.
It does delete it, but I've also tried manually deleting it as well just to double check. I have also tried directly unpacking that backup file to the correct directory. It still stops at the same file as PG Restore stops at.

I have my backups set to once a week. I did try going back to last week and then the week before, and the same thing happens.

Would it be possibly be better to download the backup file and try to remove the extra data and the "corrupt" file?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
It does delete it, but I've also tried manually deleting it as well just to double check. I have also tried directly unpacking that backup file to the correct directory. It still stops at the same file as PG Restore stops at.

I have my backups set to once a week. I did try going back to last week and then the week before, and the same thing happens.

Would it be possibly be better to download the backup file and try to remove the extra data and the "corrupt" file?
It could. Even if the db itself is corrupt, it plex makes several backups of it in that same db directory.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending