Upgrade | PlexGuide.com

Upgrade

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Is there an article on upgrading servers how to push my backup or up to the new server? How would you do this, how do you go about it?
Post automatically merged:

ok right now I have a Hetzner Auction server Intel Xeon E3-1275v5 32 GB of Ram, with three movies playing my CPU goes to like 90% . This being said I would like to ditch this and move to a EX42-NVMe . I have the valt backup through plexguide. How do I replace the server, new install then?

Last edited:

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
Old server
pg > pgvault > backup_all

Then
pg > pgvault > restore_all

Reactions: 3 users

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Thank you!

Worked flawlessly,

1.) do a backup to the vault.
2.) Change DNS to the new server
3.) install Ubuntu 18.04 or your flavor of linux.
4.) Login as root
5.) change your host name to what you like. google changing hostname on your flavor of Linux, should be two files host file is one of them.
5.) Run the updates and install the upgrades and reboot.
6.) Login as root
7.)add user for pg or pgblitz install.
8.)add the user you just created to the sudo group.
9.)logout
10.) login with that created user.
11.) run updates and upgrades just in case, should not have to reboot.
12.) Sudo pg or pgblitz and put in the sudo password -
13.) once install is complete run option 4 cor roclone
14.) remember you need to also deploy trafik, close your ports, and apply PG Shield. <------- these steps are different for different providers I.E. Go-daddy, ClouodFlare, and etc.
15.) Install the apps that you have backed up .
16.) Run a restore to all apps installed.
17.) DNS may take some time but be patient and use ping and nslookup etc to see how DNS is coming along, if possible.

I am good to go, thank you all for the help, here is my little hope it helps somone else.

Side Note: EX42-NVMe kicks SB34 but, say what.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Make sure you go into the pf options menu and enable hetzner igpu for igpu support, otherwise it won't be enabled and the containers won't be mapped to /Dev/dri

Also make sure your user account is part of the video group

sudo usermod -aG video yourusername

Reactions: 1 user

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Thank you for this, I just added my user to the video group. Went in and enabled the hetzner igpu.

I think I did enable the IGPU, but just in case.

OK, I am locked out of my server (after trying a reboot -h (Ubuntu said a reboot is needed)) but things are running, I get connection refused. I looked on my PGUI page and see that there is stuff moving, can I do a reboot while that is (did I mess up?)happening and will it pick up from where it left off?

Is there something built in to safeguard the transfer? After I tried to do a reboot -h I am getting connection refused? Changed my IP with a VPN same message.

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Thank you for this, I just added my user to the video group. Went in and enabled the hetzner igpu.

OK, I am locked out of my server (after trying a reboot -h (Ubuntu said a reboot is needed)) but things are running, I get connection refused. I looked on my PGUI page and see that there is stuff moving, can I do a reboot while that is (did I mess up?)happening and will it pick up from where it left off?

Is there something built in to safeguard the transfer? After I tried to do a reboot -h I am getting connection refused? Changed my IP with a VPN same message.
Are you trying to connect via a proxied cloudflare DNS name? That won't work. Connect via ip address. You can reboot the host. The containers and services will stop prior to rebooting. Any file that wasn't moved will resume moving upon restart.

If you can't get to it by IP and after a reboot, did you enable fail2ban? If so you might have banned your IP if you put un/PW in wrong too many times. To confirm, grab an ssh client on your smart phone, disconnect from wifi, and try connecting. If that works, reconnect to wifi and go to ipchicken.com to find your wan IP address.

Disconnect from wifi and ssh to server
sudo fail2ban-client set YOURJAILNAMEHERE unbanip IPADDRESSHERE

The jail name is usually sshd or ssh. You can try either if you aren't sure, it won't harm anything. If it's neither it's can be found in brackets in /etc/fail2ban/jail.local or jail.conf
Then
sudo systemctl restart fail2ban

Reconnect to wifi and try again.

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019

Also to confirm igpu, play something transcoded in Plex and go to the web Plex dashboard. It should show in the status "Transcoding (hw)."

If you don't see the (hw) make sure on the host you can see and get to /dev/dri. If not, the GPU drivers didn't take. If it is there, make sure your Plex container has mapped /dev/dri. To do so go to portainer, open Plex container, click duplicate/edit, scroll down and click runtime and resources. You should see /dev/dri mapped to /dev/dri. If you don't click add hardware and map the path above, click deploy.

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
ok - I will give it a shot tomorrow, taking a friend hiking for today. Thank you for all the help!

Are you trying to connect via a proxied cloudflare DNS name? That won't work. Connect via ip address. You can reboot the host. The containers and services will stop prior to rebooting. Any file that wasn't moved will resume moving upon restart.

If you can't get to it by IP and after a reboot, did you enable fail2ban? If so you might have banned your IP if you put un/PW in wrong too many times. To confirm, grab an ssh client on your smart phone, disconnect from wifi, and try connecting. If that works, reconnect to wifi and go to ipchicken.com to find your wan IP address.

Disconnect from wifi and ssh to server
sudo fail2ban-client set YOURJAILNAMEHERE unbanip IPADDRESSHERE

The jail name is usually sshd or ssh. You can try either if you aren't sure, it won't harm anything. If it's neither it's can be found in brackets in /etc/fail2ban/jail.local or jail.conf
Then
sudo systemctl restart fail2ban

Reconnect to wifi and try again.
I didn't have to do anything but wait like 30 min. I was able to get a login prompt through ssh, don't have a clue why. If there are some logs I can look in tonight or tomorrow please post a reply. Thanks again!

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
ok - I will give it a shot tomorrow, taking a friend hiking for today. Thank you for all the help!

I didn't have to do anything but wait like 30 min. I was able to get a login prompt through ssh, don't have a clue why. If there are some logs I can look in tonight or tomorrow please post a reply. Thanks again!
No prob. That could still be fail2ban. Hopefully you aren't using the root account for everything ;)

Last edited:

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
No, I am using a sudo account

ok, found that my /mnt/unionfs/movies folder is gone. the /mnt/unionfs/tv is there. I also had to redeploy my gdrive, but that didnt help. did a reboot, that didnt help.

Should I recreate the /mnt/unionfs/movies, if so how do I set the permissions.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
No, I am using a sudo account

ok, found that my /mnt/unionfs/movies folder is gone. the /mnt/unionfs/tv is there. I also had to redeploy my gdrive, but that didnt help. did a reboot, that didnt help.

Should I recreate the /mnt/unionfs/movies, if so how do I set the permissions.
Where does your movie folder exist on your g drive? Just make the folder on you gdrive in Google, it should show up in unionfs

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Here is a picture of my list on gdrive, but it does not show /mnt/movies only /mnt/tv on the linux box.

1595716960530.png

1595717080155.png

one thing I will note, trying to deploy ab encrypted move fails (maybe because I have 9.2 TB unencrypted allready?) . Then I have to redeploy Trafik etc.

1595717213679.png

Speed test on rclone works fine
1595718066411.png

ok, going to redeploy gdrive.

Gdrive deployed fine .

Now trying cncrypted move

failed with "Falure during /mnt/unionfs/ unmount ` pglclone.bpgblitz.com"

Now I have to redeploy Trafik

1595719955675.png

Redeployed and I am back where I started..

1595722003075.png

I am stuck, I created the /mnt/movies folder that was missing TV was there.

1595722127434.png

when I try to play a movie from emby, I now get :

1595722252137.png

Let me know if I should just do a restore, if Trafik deployed and gdrive deployed why am I getting this info on my PGUI page. Secondly it looks like Emby has problem getting or playing the files. Maybe it has to do with failed encryption move?

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
It wouldn't ever be in /mnt/movies. It would be in /mnt/unionfs/movies. Check /mnt/gcrypt. Di you see your media?

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Shoot, I was so frustrated, I formated and re-installed Linux.

I think part of the issue had to do with gcrypt. When I first pushed out the PG install, I had a failed gcrypt, I could not send my data encrypted, so I started using plexguide using the unencrypted move, so now I am up to 9.2 TB on Gdrive, I then try to enable an encrypted move which fails then all my problems to start occurring.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah...you should have still seen both decrypt and encrypt in /mnt/unionfs. Just deploy crypt this time if you want crypt. Your decrypted stuff should still show up in /mnt/unionfs but it will remain decrypted. Any new additions will be crypted.

Last edited:

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Yeah...you should have still seen both decrypt and decrypt in /mnt/unionfs. Just deploy crypt this time if you want crypt. Your decrypted stuff should still show up in /mnt/unionfs but it will remain decrypted. Any new additions will be crypted.
ok - thank you.

ok deployed correctly but I am getting these message that it failed again because it cannot find a config?

1595802259054.png

Last edited:

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
Go through the setup again where it asks for passwords and such.
probably unrelated, but sonarr was complaining that it could not connect to rutorrent, changed the port to 80 and unticked ssl and tested fine.

The encryption error went away.

Thank you.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
probably unrelated, but sonarr was complaining that it could not connect to rutorrent, changed the port to 80 and unticked ssl and tested fine.

The encryption error went away.

Thank you.
Yeah that shouldn't have anything to do with gcrypt not mounting. For internal apps to connect to each other use the short name and their native ports

syebrexsr

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Patron
May 22, 2020
I just enabled under tools plex hardware acceleration support. lost Trafik, now I think I hit my letscrypt limit.

How long do I have to wait?