Discussion - USENET Speeds at Hetzner | PlexGuide.com

Discussion USENET Speeds at Hetzner

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Retched1

Active
Original poster
Donor
Jul 2, 2018
I have three servers in Hetzner
One is 4-300 GB Ent HDD in Rain 5
The other 2 are just "Softraid" dual 3T hdd boxes

I have tried DemonNews, Usenet.ninja (think that's what it is called), Newshosting and tweaknewws.
I've played with number of connections, ssl/no ssl etc...

I can't seem to get over 20-25 MB a sec sustained
it does start at 80-90MB (120 MB is gig speed), but dives off to 22-26 typically, then slows to 17 or so and back up to 22.

I know it depends on the article, the age of the article, what else the box is doing, HDD speed...

Any suggestions?

Trasher

Experienced
Jan 23, 2018
I have newsdemon and eweka as backup, and usually get 75-106mb/s
Newsdemon is set up with 20ssl connections, eweka maybe 8?
EX41-SSD in Helsinki

Retched1

Active
Original poster
Donor
Jul 2, 2018
I have newsdemon and eweka as backup, and usually get 75-106mb/s
Newsdemon is set up with 20ssl connections, eweka maybe 8?
EX41-SSD in Helsinki

Is it as easy as it seems to backup/restore plexguide on a different server?

Retched1

Active
Original poster
Donor
Jul 2, 2018
I went ahead and purchased a hetzner EX51-SSD
I'll try a mass backup/restore from one of the other hetzner boxes to this SSD box and see what happens...

What about all the files in the sabnzb queue?
the partially downloaded stuff?

I stopped sabnzb so hopefully, the completed stuff will upload by the AM (its almost midnight in Seattle)...
I have 3500 tv shows que'd up in SAB and Sonarr.

Trasher

Experienced
Jan 23, 2018
I went ahead and purchased a hetzner EX51-SSD
I'll try a mass backup/restore from one of the other hetzner boxes to this SSD box and see what happens...

What about all the files in the sabnzb queue?
the partially downloaded stuff?

I stopped sabnzb so hopefully, the completed stuff will upload by the AM (its almost midnight in Seattle)...
I have 3500 tv shows que'd up in SAB and Sonarr.
the partially downloaded files won't transfer, just settings/queue

Reactions: 1 user

FeralF

Citizen+
Staff
Donor
May 30, 2018
I have three servers in Hetzner
One is 4-300 GB Ent HDD in Rain 5
The other 2 are just "Softraid" dual 3T hdd boxes

I have tried DemonNews, Usenet.ninja (think that's what it is called), Newshosting and tweaknewws.
I've played with number of connections, ssl/no ssl etc...

I can't seem to get over 20-25 MB a sec sustained
it does start at 80-90MB (120 MB is gig speed), but dives off to 22-26 typically, then slows to 17 or so and back up to 22.

I know it depends on the article, the age of the article, what else the box is doing, HDD speed...

Any suggestions?
How many connections do you use to connect to your usenet host? IO wait time at a reasonable level? Perhaps combine multiple newsgroup hosts?

Retched1

Active
Original poster
Donor
Jul 2, 2018
How many connections do you use to connect to your usenet host? IO wait time at a reasonable level? Perhaps combine multiple newsgroup hosts?
I tried from 4 connections up to the max in small increments. I tried multiple news providers at the same time.
I want sure how to check IO wait time in Ubuntu. I bought another hetzner host with SSD. I'm guessing the hdd coukdnt do the combined IO of up/down aout 25MBps...
Hoping to test it today.

Retched1

Active
Original poster
Donor
Jul 2, 2018
New SSD Hetzner server and I can sustain much better DL speeds.

BU/Restore works fairly well.. Need to add some notes to the wiki to fill in some (maybe obvious) steps for others.

Reactions: 1 users

hr1232

Citizen+
May 14, 2018
As this has never been really answered except for "buy a bigger server", here's the real answer for anybody who lands here through the search:

Start the tool top and look at the cpu line:
%Cpu(s): 7.0 us, 0.4 sy, 0.0 ni, 92.2 id, 0.4 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st

The value marked "wa" ist the wasted/waiting time, i.e. the time cou did nothing but wait around for your low, crappy old hard disk. If this one rises, you have chosen the wrong storage system for the task assigned to the server. This will happen pretty quickly with all software raids, especially when using raid level 3, 4, 5 and 6. It will also happen, if you are not using SSDs and are trying to write with gigabit speed to a magnetic disc (doesn't really matter if it's a desktop or enterprise disk). It will also happen with SSDs if you saturate the gigabit link. Only NVMe, M2 and alike will be able to constantly write at those speeds.

The reason why it's fast in the beginning and then throttles down is the cache. Especially SABnzbd uses a large memory cache. Until that has filled up, you will download with gigabit speed. When cache is saturated, your downloads will slow down to the speed, your storage system actually writes data to the disks, thereby freeing memory cache.

While the solution proposed above ("buy a bigger/newer server") will of course mitigate the problem, no root server available at a reasonable price will give you the storage speeds you need to saturate your gigabit link. All it will do is dry out your bank account.

Just use a cloud server. With Hetzner you should use CX31 (10,59€) or CX41 (18,92€) if you can spare the money. Make sure not to use the CEPH versions as they use network storage and are much slower. If you need more storage space for temp files you can rent a volume (i.e. second harddisk) wich will cost you 0,0476€/GB/month.

The only caveat is hardware acceleration as that is not available on cloud servers. As they use high-end CPUs, you don't really need it as long as you are not transcoding 4k moves. If you need 4K transcoding, rent a low-powered "old" root server (23€/month) for running Plex and use a cloud server for running the downloads (10,59€/18,92€). In any case you will end up much cheaper and much faster then with running downloads on your own root server.

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 23, 2018
How many streams can you get from a cx41 I have 5 friends I let use my server the most is 3 on at a time they transcode down to 720p as they use PS4, how do you mount this extra volume as when I have set up a cx41 in the past my volume uses 43%, i was the only user when I had it before

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
this is my guess; hetzer slows down things about. on other servers, my newshosting alone including gce hit well over 100MB

M

MrDoob

I dont can say Hetzner is slow.

1Gb full down and 1GB full upload..
But is use a dedicated server not an Cloud VPS Server .

I pay for this one 49€ and its fast enough to handle 12 streams at the same time . Included transcodes.

So if you want full power you just pay for full power ..

The same is ..

You want a Ferrari but you pay for an Trabbi..

ogtimothymiller

Citizen
Dec 7, 2018
@MrDoob regarding your Hetzner speeds, where are you accessing the streams from? In the US, the best option for locality is Wholesaleinternet, but their selection and pricing is worse than Hetzner.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending