Using Cloudflare CDN, Plex Custom Access URL's keep reverting

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
11:53 PM
Nov 29, 2018
I've got Plexguide 8.7.5 set up on a Hetzner EX42-NVME and everything's been working great for over a year. Back in November or thereabouts, I went through the wiki and set up Cloudflare to be the CDN which really fixed the throughput issues I was occasionally experiencing.

It works great except I find that Plex keeps reverting its custom access url to this:

1582731699851.png

when it needs to be set to https://plex.domain.com

I'll go in and set it, and everything starts working again. But for some reason it keeps changing back to the above screenshot. At first it seemed like once a month or so, but lately more like once a week.

Any obvious explanation for this as I begin exploring it? I dealt with it for awhile, but it's starting to get annoying.

Armin

Staff
Local time
12:53 AM
Mar 28, 2018
remove your remote access
Post automatically merged:

check this topic . I reckon you can prevent plex from updating with watchtower

Last edited:

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
It's off:
1582737671974.png

And to be clear, everything is working great...until the settings automagically change to the above screenshot in the OP. Then I change it back to https://plex.domain.com and it resumes working again..until the next time those settings revert.

Dexter.

Donor
Local time
6:53 AM
Jan 25, 2020
I just started last month with PG and a few days ago i run into the same problem and couldn't access the server. It took me quiet some time to figure out plex have changed the domain. It would be really interesting why this happen.

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
One thing I've done just yesterday, is set watchtower not to install Plex updates. I haven't been paying attention to the PMS version but I wonder if that would have anything to do with it. I guess only time will tell.

Dexter.

Donor
Local time
Jan 25, 2020
yes, i think it maybe have to something to do with the auto updates, but still anoying. I don't understand why the url is changed. Today it happened again to me.

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
It's only been about five days, but so far my URL hasn't reverted since I told watchtower not to update Plex automatically. But it's still very possible that it could any time, I just have to wait and see. Seemed like it was happening every week or two the last couple of months. Not often enough to make it a huge deal considering how easy the fix is (once you figure out the fix) but annoying enough to want to actually fix it permanently.

zzdave

Donor
Local time
9:53 PM
Dec 14, 2018
I have watch tower turned off for Plex and have had this problem for a few months now. I had to write a script to fix the plex perferences.xml file once it gets updated incorrectly.

If anyone finds a solution, please let me know.

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
Just happened to be me yesterday, for the first time since my last post here.

Dexter.

Donor
Local time
Jan 25, 2020
for me yesterday too. But I hadn't turned off Watch Tower. Now I turned it off for plex .. let's see if it come again or not.

mobo

Donor
Local time
Apr 15, 2019
This happens when the plex server is build in docker. Eg docker container update, or pgshield enable/disable. Why this happens ka, but I think this is the only config var which does not survive the build.

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
Nov 29, 2018
Happened today again, too.

If I have watchtower turned off for Plex, wouldn't that keep it from updating the container?

PonsterManda

Local time
Apr 26, 2019
Are u using the env setting in compose?
Code:
    environment:
        - PUID=${PUID}
        - PGID=${PGID}
        - TZ=${TZ} 
        - HOSTNAME="plex"
        - PLEX_CLAIM="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
        - PLEX_UID=${PUID}
        - PLEX_GID=${PGID}
        - ADVERTISE_IP="https://plex.domain.com,http://192.168.1.4:32400"
        - VERSION=docker
        - ALLOWED_NETWORKS="192.168.1.0/24"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.