Plex - Using RAM for transcoding? | PlexGuide.com

Plex Using RAM for transcoding?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
This idea of ‘saving’ the SSD is amusing, have you ever worn one out through excessive writes or personally known anyone that has? Even using the stated endurance figures, you’d generally need to write hundreds of GB/day depending on the drive size/NAND type used (though even that is subjective). The best performance upgrade you could do to for transcoding in Windows is not run Windows, that’s one of the advantages of PG - it scales well, Windows doesn’t.

RockyTM

Citizen
Jun 5, 2020
I dont see why running Plex on Windows is such a bad Idea? I was running it on Ubuntu for a number of years, but it was a pain for me, since I'm not very well versed in linux. On windows it just works, day in and day out... HW transcoding works like a charm with the RAM drive (yes, the SSD would probably handle it, but the RAM was there, and I did not need it for anything else) and I've put in a Quadro P2000 card which have so much power, that I've never been able to hit the roof with simultaneous transcodings... So, performancewise, windows have never given me a problem, and its a platform that I am very comfortable with using.

Reactions: 1 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I dont see why running Plex on Windows is such a bad Idea? I was running it on Ubuntu for a number of years, but it was a pain for me, since I'm not very well versed in linux. On windows it just works, day in and day out... HW transcoding works like a charm with the RAM drive (yes, the SSD would probably handle it, but the RAM was there, and I did not need it for anything else) and I've put in a Quadro P2000 card which have so much power, that I've never been able to hit the roof with simultaneous transcodings... So, performancewise, windows have never given me a problem, and its a platform that I am very comfortable with using.
The only thing that pisses me off with windows is Win10 updates and at times, plex will crash. It’s not problematic day to day, but on MacOS or Linux, it’s always running. I was on the windows cheerleading camp 3 years ago.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Windows artificially limits concurrent transcoding, it’s been well documented over the years that it can’t transcode the same number of streams on the same hardware as Linux, it’s the same story for HW transcoding, at one point it had exclusive hardware decode for h265, but even that’s now a thing on Linux. I hate to burst your bubble here, but have you seen your RAM disk actually get used much? Just if you have a P2000 doing HW transcoding then you are transcoding to GPU RAM and GPU RAM is what (under Linux at least) dictates the maximum number of concurrent transcodes taking place. The only time your RAM disk is going to get used is if your GPU can’t (or won’t) do HW transcoding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Syndrogo

Experienced
Staff
Mar 2, 2018
The only thing that pisses me off with windows is Win10 updates and at times, plex will crash. It’s not problematic day to day, but on MacOS or Linux, it’s always running. I was on the windows cheerleading camp 3 years ago.
You cant beat linux's live patch :p

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I know this is an old thread but just to clear up some confusion, this isn't CPU vs ram, this is hdd vs ram. From my experience the difference is negligible and not worth it imo, as ram is more valuable for other tasks that need fast io. In addition, if you use an igpu, like the intel's, they use ram space for transcoding. Generally the more ram you have, the more simultaneous transcodes the igpu can do (not the only factor though.) So if you use ram transcode you might be limiting the # of hardware transcodes your box can do at once.

Reactions: 1 user

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending