Chat - Using Synology 1019+ with Plexguide | PlexGuide.com

Chat Using Synology 1019+ with Plexguide

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

tmyers07

Citizen
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
I've been running Plexguide on bare metal at home, and a GCE feeder edition for many many months.

My challenge was that more family members wanted to stream my content. The server I was using at home didn't support HW transcoding, and as much as I tried to get everyone to configure Direct Play when possible, I was running out of CPU.

I debated for quite some time on what the best decision for me was. I decided to buy the Synology DS1019+ and upgrade the RAM to 16GB. I had an older 1513+ that was getting long in the tooth, and I occasionally use it as NFS storage for my homelab as well.

I have over 80TB of content sitting in Google Drive / Team Drive, etc, and the new challenge is identifying the best way to proceed.

My choices are:

1. Install Virtual Machine Manager and install Ubuntu/Plexguide.
2. Install rclone/MergerFS natively on the Synology and use the Plex package.
Side note: Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a docker image of Plexguide?
I suppose that an option #3 could be running Plex in docker on Synology, but I could not figure out how to get HW transcoding to work. I see other recent posts about others that have recently gotten this to work, and I guess I could try that too but would need rclone help.

I definitely want to leverage the HW transcoding capability of the DS1019+ and this video helped me to decide that this was a better route than buying a new physical server because I really needed a new Synology soon anyways.

I have tried to configure/test both options above for the past several days, and after attempting several configurations, googling the crap out of rclone/mergerfs, etc, it really reinforces the appreciation that I have for all of the complex configuration that takes place in Plexguide, and the awesome work that has been produced by the team that regularly posts on this forum.

I also want to be able to easily update to new versions when they come out without breaking anything, survive a reboot without having to remount/reconfigure/etc, and use capabilities like Plex Autoscan V2.

So, I'm open for opinions here on the best recommendation on how to proceed.

I'd love to understand how to achieve the options above and hear about the pro/cons of each. I wouldn't really think there would be much overhead running plexguide on VMM. It uses Docker to deploy its apps, and yet you can install Docker on Synology as a package.

For those that have this type of capable NAS at home, I would think this could be interesting to figure out.

I even tried copying the rclone config from my plexguide machine and copying it to my synology, but I'm just not that experienced in rclone config honestly.

I have seen others that have created a scheduled task in DSM to automount the google drive stuff upon a reboot and that seems logical to me.

Currently, I am running the Plex package, have installed rclone, and mounted both google drive and my team drive using these commands:

sudo rclone mount -v gdrive: /volume1/homes/admin/googledrive --allow-other --dir-cache-time 672h --vfs-cache-max-age 675h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --buffer-size 32M &

sudo rclone mount -v tdrive: /volume1/homes/admin/teamdrive --allow-other --dir-cache-time 672h --vfs-cache-max-age 675h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --buffer-size 32M &

I was able to add the folders to Plex. I have actually have 2 folders for each category: One on Google Drive and the other on the Team Drive. I haven't been down the path of mergerfs just yet, other than I did find out that you can install it using Entware. https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs/wiki/Installing-MergerFS-on-a-Synology-NAS

Sorry for the long post...I've tried my best to due my due diligence, search online, look at what others have done, and overall I feel that this could be a guide created on this site for those that are interested and would hopefully give folks another deployment choice.

T

Reactions: 1 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Awesome write-up :D

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!