Utilize Google Cloud with PG for free.

Thread starter #21
OP
OP
J

jadg

PG Veteran
Tech Support
I've got everything working except I can't access my plex server outside of the server. I've tried manually setting the port in plex and still is red and none of my devices like my phone can see it. Any ideas?
Most likley this:

Firewall:
This is a general idea of what to do, once you know what applications you want I suggest just opening those ports up and closing the rest.
On VPC network click firewall rules
2. Create a firewall rule
3. Name it
4. Keep everything default until target tags
5. Target tag: anything e.g. Plex
6. Source IP Range: 0.0.0.0/0 (this will apply to current and future instances)
7. Second Source filter: None
8. Protocols and ports: Allow All
9. Create.
10. To open up specfic ports e.g. Plex & nzbget you'd put tcp:32400; tcp; udp:6789

Shazi

PG Noob
After following your instructions I can ssh using the compute engine console, but once I edit the sshd_config and save up and set my password, I then cannot login with the console, with gcloud console, or putty. The compute engine console stays on the spinning ball, while the gcloud console and putty both ask for my password and won't accept the password I just set. Is there something else I am missing here? gcloud console is telling me Permission Denied (password) and putty is just saying password denied.
I am having this exact problem and after hours of trying to figure out what to do and what is wrong, I am completely lost. Is there a way to fix it without having to start over? I'm just beginning to learn all of this and I wanted to use the GCE to practice with PG but it's not going great!

Jsova

PG Noob
anyone have issues with plex updating tv posters using this method? I deployed a vm into Google cloud and ran through the setup, the server is available remote and I can see all the content and play stuff without issue. The strange part is that movie posters and writeups update without issue. But for TV Shows I get about 5 shows our of 130 that update with posters the rest just get the writeup information with no posters.

Chudz

PG Overlord
PG Donor
anyone have issues with plex updating tv posters using this method? I deployed a vm into Google cloud and ran through the setup, the server is available remote and I can see all the content and play stuff without issue. The strange part is that movie posters and writeups update without issue. But for TV Shows I get about 5 shows our of 130 that update with posters the rest just get the writeup information with no posters.
TheTVDB is having API issues.

Whatdafuq

PG Elite
Would I be able to create multiple free trial accounts? Have one doing sonarr and one doing radarr and maybe a 3rd for plex? So I could build up my gdrive?

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!
Thread starter #26
OP
OP
J

jadg

PG Veteran
Tech Support
I am having this exact problem and after hours of trying to figure out what to do and what is wrong, I am completely lost. Is there a way to fix it without having to start over? I'm just beginning to learn all of this and I wanted to use the GCE to practice with PG but it's not going great!
The only thing I could think it could be is the port might have changed in the sshd config? check the line
Code:
# What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
Port 22
If that doesn't work try this config:
Code:
# Package generated configuration file
# See the sshd_config(5) manpage for details

# What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
Port 22
# Use these options to restrict which interfaces/protocols sshd will bind to
#ListenAddress ::
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
Protocol 2
# HostKeys for protocol version 2
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key
#Privilege Separation is turned on for security
UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
ServerKeyBits 1024

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:
LoginGraceTime 120
PermitRootLogin prohibit-password
StrictModes yes

#RSAAuthentication yes
#PubkeyAuthentication yes
#AuthorizedKeysFile     %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
IgnoreRhosts yes
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
HostbasedAuthentication no
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for RhostsRSAAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

# To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
# some PAM modules and threads)
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

# Change to no to disable tunnelled clear text passwords
PasswordAuthentication yes

# Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosGetAFSToken no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#KerberosTicketCleanup yes

# GSSAPI options
#GSSAPIAuthentication no
#GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog yes
TCPKeepAlive yes
#UseLogin no

#MaxStartups 10:30:60
#Banner /etc/issue.net

# Allow client to pass locale environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication, account processing,
# and session processing. If this is enabled, PAM authentication will
# be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
# PasswordAuthentication.  Depending on your PAM configuration,
# PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
# the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".
# If you just want the PAM account and session checks to run without
# PAM authentication, then enable this but set PasswordAuthentication
# and ChallengeResponseAuthentication to 'no'.
UsePAM yes
---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

Would I be able to create multiple free trial accounts? Have one doing sonarr and one doing radarr and maybe a 3rd for plex? So I could build up my gdrive?
That wouldn't be an issue, if you use a G-Suite account you can create new users yourself but it would cost you the £6 per month per user. You also may need more than one debit/credit card to use them simultaneously.

Last edited:

Chudz

PG Overlord
PG Donor
When I do a speed test in Plexguide I am getting extremely good speeds but when I try direct play a 4k remux is buffers every 10-20 seconds, however my crappy Hetzner server with much slower speed test results streams the same file perfectly. I have tried moving the GCE VM to different locations still same issue. Any ideas?

astroshare

PG Ambassador
PG Donor
First of all, Thanks for this information!!
Has anyone figured out the bandwidth cost for egress traffic to Google drive? Per the below one would think it's free. I'm using one of these VMs to run Sonarr and Radarr and get finished torrent data from a free seedbox via ftp (free ingress), then uploading to Gdrive using PG.
"Egress to Google products (such as YouTube, Maps, Drive), whether from a VM in GCP with a public (external) IP address or a private (internal) IP address" - No Charge

badcop

PG Veteran
PG Donor
Just decided to give this guide a follow and would like to address some issues others were having.

If you're having issues with the ssh part of this tutorial i'd suggest creating a new user and giving sudo this resolved my issue.

if you don't know how google how to create user w/ sudo enjoy.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Just decided to give this guide a follow and would like to address some issues others were having.

If you're having issues with the ssh part of this tutorial i'd suggest creating a new user and giving sudo this resolved my issue.

if you don't know how google how to create user w/ sudo enjoy.
your tracking the pg gce edition right? it does most of this for you automated :D

badcop

PG Veteran
PG Donor
naw I didn't assumed feeder stood for something else that i wouldn't need, transferring over from full setups with qb. Too much documentation not to really get stuck anywhere just figured i'd respond to anyone that reads the thread seeing as they had the issue

Spoonsy1480

PG Elite
Use the backup feature built into plexguide and everything will transfer over smoothly.
How do I do that, sorry never done before

Where do I find the backup folder and how do I transfer it to new machine

Where do I find the backup folder and how do I transfer it to new machine
Ok just read the wiki 👍

Last edited:

astroshare

PG Ambassador
PG Donor
I've setup a bash script that basically strengthens security of the server, creates the rclone file, and modifies a few of the scripts. Other than that, the backup/restore function of PG works pretty nicely.

After Signup, PM Admin9705 for a 20% Discount Voucher