VPN Question | PlexGuide.com

VPN Question

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

pommy

Experienced
Original poster
Donor
Jan 18, 2018
Evening all,

For those that have experience with VPN running with Plexguide - I wondered is it possible to set one up for use with only 2 services - one being torrents (I mainly use usenet but its for the odd ones) and I noticed Deezloaderremix on the community apps so second service would be Deezloaderremix - think going through a vpn would be logical.

I heard if you setup a vpn for the whole server it can play issues with plex etc, is that correct?

I have used Windscribe in the past but believe NordVPN is great - any suggestions on providers?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Xaritomi

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Apr 12, 2020
For the torrents, I use qbittorrent. there is a built in section to use a vpn as a proxy. In my case I am using SOCKS5 with NordVPN
1591295769394.png

Reactions: 1 user

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Policy based routing works - at home I route specific hosts and/or ports via various different VPN services, so for example if I run a torrent client on port 33333 for example, no matter what host I do that on, anything using that port would route via VPN. My personal laptop defaults to everything over VPN, but my wife's laptop goes out unencrypted as does for example the FTV/ROKU clients as it allows access to domestic streaming services without issue. How does this apply to PG? Well if you have a look at the wiki, you'll find a write-up on installing Proxmox with pfsense on a remote (dedicated) server, it's not much of a stretch after that to configure a tunnel to wherever you want and create rules based on what you want routed to where.

You could also look into using one of the xxx-VPN docker containers (I used to run a few with Privoxy proxy enabled so they provided a proxy service to other hosts/containers), the binhex stuff used to run really well for me.

pommy

Experienced
Original poster
Donor
Jan 18, 2018
For the torrents, I use qbittorrent. there is a built in section to use a vpn as a proxy. In my case I am using SOCKS5 with NordVPN
View attachment 4565
Thanks for this - I will look into it, not used qbitorrent before, mainly used deluge so will transition over to this I think.
Post automatically merged:

Policy based routing works - at home I route specific hosts and/or ports via various different VPN services, so for example if I run a torrent client on port 33333 for example, no matter what host I do that on, anything using that port would route via VPN. My personal laptop defaults to everything over VPN, but my wife's laptop goes out unencrypted as does for example the FTV/ROKU clients as it allows access to domestic streaming services without issue. How does this apply to PG? Well if you have a look at the wiki, you'll find a write-up on installing Proxmox with pfsense on a remote (dedicated) server, it's not much of a stretch after that to configure a tunnel to wherever you want and create rules based on what you want routed to where.

You could also look into using one of the xxx-VPN docker containers (I used to run a few with Privoxy proxy enabled so they provided a proxy service to other hosts/containers), the binhex stuff used to run really well for me.
Thanks for the reply, that’s interesting- I will go and read the wiki and see what to do. Ive thought about a docker before but wasnt sure if that would work.

PonsterManda

Experienced
Staff
Apr 26, 2019
Evening all,

For those that have experience with VPN running with Plexguide - I wondered is it possible to set one up for use with only 2 services - one being torrents (I mainly use usenet but its for the odd ones) and I noticed Deezloaderremix on the community apps so second service would be Deezloaderremix - think going through a vpn would be logical.

I heard if you setup a vpn for the whole server it can play issues with plex etc, is that correct?

I have used Windscribe in the past but believe NordVPN is great - any suggestions on providers?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Also be sure that the torrentclient is actually using the VPN tunnel.
I discovered that deluge wasnt using the proxy/vpn settings for some time.
In my country it doesnt really matter depending on the content.
Image how this would be if I lived in Germany at the time.

Reactions: 1 users

pommy

Experienced
Original poster
Donor
Jan 18, 2018

PonsterManda

Experienced
Staff
Apr 26, 2019
Okay thanks wi double check. Is there a way of setting up NordVPN as a docker container and run the torrent docker and deezloader container through that?

ie:https://hub.docker.com/r/azinchen/nordvpn
There is, im using binhex/arch-sabnzbdvpn & binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn which requires a .ovpn file (from NordVPN for example) to make a VPN tunnel. But these containers also create an extra port (PRIVOXY ) available for other containers to use the same VPN tunnel. Im using nzbhydra2 this way, its using the privoxy port from the sabnzbdvpn container.

1591360336866.png

And its possible to use containers with like openvpn or nordvpn buildtin that provides a dedicated VPN tunnel for other containers to use. You will have to point other containers to this one on using for example the '--net=container:vpn' option. This option requires adjustments on docker/container level instead of application level. I think dedicated vpn tunnels are better because you can easily connect other container to it. Also it takes only 1 VPN connection instead of 1 connection for every container. Never got this dedicated vpn tunnel to work tho.

Reactions: 1 users

pommy

Experienced
Original poster
Donor
Jan 18, 2018
There is, im using binhex/arch-sabnzbdvpn & binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn which requires a .ovpn file (from NordVPN for example) to make a VPN tunnel. But these containers also create an extra port (PRIVOXY ) available for other containers to use the same VPN tunnel. Im using nzbhydra2 this way, its using the privoxy port from the sabnzbdvpn container.

View attachment 4574

And its possible to use containers with like openvpn or nordvpn buildtin that provides a dedicated VPN tunnel for other containers to use. You will have to point other containers to this one on using for example the '--net=container:vpn' option. This option requires adjustments on docker/container level instead of application level. I think dedicated vpn tunnels are better because you can easily connect other container to it. Also it takes only 1 VPN connection instead of 1 connection for every container. Never got this dedicated vpn tunnel to work tho.

Okay thanks for the info, i can have a look into it. Just need to work out what paths etc - still learning more about docker

View attachment 4565
Morning so Ive installed Qbittorrent and used your Proxy advice. Im now getting “Stalled” when I try and add any torrent. Any ideas why this is happening?

Last edited:

Xaritomi

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Apr 12, 2020
Okay thanks for the info, i can have a look into it. Just need to work out what paths etc - still learning more about docker

Morning so Ive installed Qbittorrent and used your Proxy advice. Im now getting “Stalled” when I try and add any torrent. Any ideas why this is happening?
Hmm, that is strange. Let me do some testing and I will let you know. Have you entered the correct credentials?

pommy

Experienced
Original poster
Donor
Jan 18, 2018
Hmm, that is strange. Let me do some testing and I will let you know. Have you entered the correct credentials?
okay thanks - yeah I did thats the first thingI checked incase of user error :)

xressa

Citizen
Jun 20, 2020
I mainly check hola or veepn

VPN is ao good tool to get access to forbidden websites or social media. I think everyone knows that some social media like twitter and instagram do not work in China. So in such cases I use different vpn for windows

VPN is ao good tool to get access to forbidden websites or social media. I think everyone knows that some social media like twitter and instagram do not work in China. So in such cases I use different vpn for windows

Last edited:

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending