VPS recommendations | PlexGuide.com

VPS recommendations

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

dullahanmediaco

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Apr 20, 2020
Hey guys!

I've been hosting my own Plex server at home for the past 5-6 years but have been wanting to change it over to VPS hosting with GSuite. I already have GSuite setup and need to begin the long process of moving everything over. Can anyone recommend a decent VPS that I can have 2-3 transcode streams, hard drive space of 100GB's minimum, and I'm not really sure what VPS plans have in terms of bandwidth. My current Plex database is 34GB's, over 5k movies, 258 shows. Currently have 84TB's of raw storage. I don't have a great upload at home which is partial the reason of switching to VPS hosting, also I have been looking into building out a Skoolie (converted school bus) so my Wife and I can just travel. I don't think my server will hold up well in a traveling school bus, with the hard drives getting bashed around. We still need our Plex though! I have considered colocation as well, last ditch effort would be to ask a family member to host the server but I like maintaining control over my server and don't want anyone really messing with it. Any suggestions will be helpful. If this is the wrong category, let me know. Thanks!

Edit:

Network:

-Spectrum 200Mbit down/10Mbit up
-Netgear R7000

My current server config

Case: Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U rackmount case

Mobo: Intel S2600CP

PSU: Corsair CX750m 750watts

Ram: Samsung 80GB’s of DDR3 10600R

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 2.6Ghz processors

HBA card: LSI SAS 9210 i8 8 port using mini SAS to SATA breakout cables (firmware updated to IT mode)
SAS Expander: HP SAS Expander

Fans: 7 fans total
-(6) Arctic F12 120mm fans
-(1) 200mm fan
-Dual Arctic Alpine 20 CPU fans

OS drive: 250GB SSD

Storage:
(6) WD RED 8TB drives
(2) WD WHITE 10TB drive
(1) WD WHITE 12TB drive
(2) HGST 3TB drive
Using DrivePool to pool the drives together

Backup:
(1) WD 10TB drive + GSuite Business

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I’ll be honest. I had 76TB at home. I just started over because a lot of it was junk quality. Hold onto whatever is hard to find and upload that. Just my experience. But you can upload if u choose to. If u have a bit of cash, you can get a dedicated from hetzner for 34 euro.

Reactions: 3 users

dreadmclaren

Citizen
Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Depending on bandwidth requirements, another suggestion I have would be to use Vultr. I used a VPS from them for a couple months and it was great. The "cloud compute" instances they offer are now using Intel Skylake architecture. Not as good of a "bang for your buck" as a Hetzner dedi, but something else to consider.

Reactions: 2 users

dullahanmediaco

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Apr 20, 2020
I’ll be honest. I had 76TB at home. I just started over because a lot of it was junk quality. Hold onto whatever is hard to find and upload that. Just my experience. But you can upload if u choose to. If u have a bit of cash, you can get a dedicated from hetzner for 34 euro.
Yeah I've been slowly upgrading my content. I had a lot of WEB-DL's and 720p content and have been loading more 1080p content.

34 euros a month right? Not too bad. I currently live in California. How would the latency be with the euro server? Or do they have servers in the US? Definitely can afford that compared to buying hard drives monthly, even though hard drives are getting more affordable. With Hetzner, what's their policy for port forwarding and running stuff like Sonarr and Radarr?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Hetzner s cloud is really cheap. This site is being hosted on it!

Reactions: 1 user

dullahanmediaco

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Apr 20, 2020
Depending on bandwidth requirements, another suggestion I have would be to use Vultr. I used a VPS from them for a couple months and it was great. The "cloud compute" instances they offer are now using Intel Skylake architecture. Not as good of a "bang for your buck" as a Hetzner dedi, but something else to consider.
I believe I saw a YouTube video about Vultr, maybe from PG. I tried looking at their site but the wording seems a little off when looking for VPS and didn't appear to be "affordable" on the scale of bandwidth and storage. I certainly don't want to be spending over $120 a month on hosting. That would be my tipping point on deciding on colo. Currently as it sits, I've been downloading approx 1-2TB's a month. Two months ago, I did over 20TB's in downloadable content (What NZBGet is saying I did anyway...) lol
Post automatically merged:

Hetzner s cloud is really cheap. This site is being hosted on it!
Ah okay, I'll have to definitely check out Hetzner then. I hope the latency isn't too terrible.

dan3805fly

Active
Donor
Patron
Mar 14, 2018
Yeah I've been slowly upgrading my content. I had a lot of WEB-DL's and 720p content and have been loading more 1080p content.

34 euros a month right? Not too bad. I currently live in California. How would the latency be with the euro server? Or do they have servers in the US? Definitely can afford that compared to buying hard drives monthly, even though hard drives are getting more affordable. With Hetzner, what's their policy for port forwarding and running stuff like Sonarr and Radarr?
for north america i prefer ovh ( soyoustart and kimsufi for cheap servers) and oneprovider

Reactions: 1 users

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Hey guys!

I've been hosting my own Plex server at home for the past 5-6 years but have been wanting to change it over to VPS hosting with GSuite. I already have GSuite setup and need to begin the long process of moving everything over. Can anyone recommend a decent VPS that I can have 2-3 transcode streams, hard drive space of 100GB's minimum, and I'm not really sure what VPS plans have in terms of bandwidth. My current Plex database is 34GB's, over 5k movies, 258 shows. Currently have 84TB's of raw storage. I don't have a great upload at home which is partial the reason of switching to VPS hosting, also I have been looking into building out a Skoolie (converted school bus) so my Wife and I can just travel. I don't think my server will hold up well in a traveling school bus, with the hard drives getting bashed around. We still need our Plex though! I have considered colocation as well, last ditch effort would be to ask a family member to host the server but I like maintaining control over my server and don't want anyone really messing with it. Any suggestions will be helpful. If this is the wrong category, let me know. Thanks!

Edit:

Network:

-Spectrum 200Mbit down/10Mbit up
-Netgear R7000

My current server config

Case: Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U rackmount case

Mobo: Intel S2600CP

PSU: Corsair CX750m 750watts

Ram: Samsung 80GB’s of DDR3 10600R

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 2.6Ghz processors

HBA card: LSI SAS 9210 i8 8 port using mini SAS to SATA breakout cables (firmware updated to IT mode)
SAS Expander: HP SAS Expander

Fans: 7 fans total
-(6) Arctic F12 120mm fans
-(1) 200mm fan
-Dual Arctic Alpine 20 CPU fans

OS drive: 250GB SSD

Storage:
(6) WD RED 8TB drives
(2) WD WHITE 10TB drive
(1) WD WHITE 12TB drive
(2) HGST 3TB drive
Using DrivePool to pool the drives together

Backup:
(1) WD 10TB drive + GSuite Business
GREAT first post and very interesting situation.
that rig is bada$$,
you have some serious hardware there..
Have you considered selling it (especially if you make the schoolbus move) and using the proceeds to pay for your new dedicated cloud system?

dP

dullahanmediaco

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Apr 20, 2020
GREAT first post and very interesting situation.
that rig is bada$$,
you have some serious hardware there..
Have you considered selling it (especially if you make the schoolbus move) and using the proceeds to pay for your new dedicated cloud system?

dP
@DeadPool I have considered it. But not sure I'll get that much for the entire server, with the hard drives. Maybe pieced out I think I could get more. I wouldn't need the physical hardware once I do the schoolbus build.

kennsann

Experienced
Sep 14, 2019
I suggest getting something near you than overseas.
For LA VPS: I use NexusBytes for VPS, they have a nice selection with ryzen cpus.
For LA Dedis: Reliable Sites, Dedicated.com
For other USA location Dedis: Wholesale internet - KS (cheap but not that reliable, I heard), 1GServers - Texas?,

STiCKYFiNGAZ

Citizen
Donor
Patron
VIP
Mar 10, 2019
I run 2 instances of PLEX, one from home and one hosted in the cloud for family/friend shares and outside my home. My shared PLEX server is hosted on Hetzner's cloud platform. It is used daily by friends and family and all have said they have no issues at all. Hetzner also just upgraded their cloud platform with AMD EPYC 7502P / 32 Core "Rome" (Zen2) / Simultaneous Multithreading cpus. My current cloud instance has the following specs...

Have seen 4 simultaneous users without a hiccup and costs $15 a month. If you do choose to use Hetzner;s cloud, I would recommend using Nuremberg Datacenter for your hosting. I did some speed tests and Nuremberg seems to have the best peering with Helsinki being the worst. Worst case scenario, you try and don't like it, you can cancel it and only charged for your usage. Very nice platform for development and test software but works well enough for hosting as well depending on your needs. Services vary from $2.50-$49 for standard hosting depending on what specs you require.

On a side note. If your reason for moving to VPS is due to your home bandwidth, switching to VPS isn't going to help you. You are still going to cause a bottleneck at home with your LAN. Although Hetzner has a 1 GB dedicated line, your streaming in your home is based off your home upload bandwidth so it won't matter. The best thing you can do is run cat 5/6 and direct connect to your server and take advantage of the full speed of your network controller of your pc/server (most should be at least 1 GB/s.) Think I got 75 feet of cat 5 from Wally World for no more than $15 and worth every penny!

Check out this quick and easy hack for your home server. Good luck!

MP-JT

Citizen+
Staff
Donor
Apr 21, 2020
Although Hetzner has a 1 GB dedicated line, your streaming in your home is based off your home upload bandwidth so it won't matter.
What exactly do you mean by this? What has your upload to do with anything?

STiCKYFiNGAZ

Citizen
Donor
Patron
VIP
Mar 10, 2019
Exactly what I explained in my reply. Makes no difference what the upload speed is of your server if your lan cant keep up with it there will be a bottleneck...

saher

Active
Donor
Jan 7, 2019
Exactly what I explained in my reply. Makes no difference what the upload speed is of your server if your lan cant keep up with it there will be a bottleneck...
This makes zero sense. Download speeds, yes - Upload, no.
If a file has a 50mbit/s bitrate and you actually have less than 50mbit/s DOWN (not up) - yes you are going to have problems. Your UPLOAD speeds are mostly NEVER relevant.

4mm4r

Citizen
Donor
Aug 2, 2019
You can give Full Time Hosting a try. You can get a recurring 10% discount using the promo code LEB at the checkout. They offer servers in Canada, France, Germany and the UK.

ManisTV

Citizen
Donor
Donor
Mar 13, 2020
Currently, I use Contabo, quite happy with them. But now I saw this option of Hetzner cloud CPX41. I was planning on getting the EX42NVMe, but it is damn expensive in comparison to CPX41. Does anyone have any experience between dedicated and VPS of Hetzners?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I ran a CPX41 instance till recently, I could peak at over 500MB/s upload to GSuite which isn't bad for a shared 10Gb port. I now have an EX42-NVMe, it's a better fit for a combined server, but nothing wrong with the CPX41 for feeder use, just the drive isn't that big and the EX42-NVMe isn't that much more.

ManisTV

Citizen
Donor
Donor
Mar 13, 2020
is it any good for running a plex server? BTW, how to mount multiple team drives on one PG. It seems, that you can manage only one tdrive.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Without load anticipated user numbers, load data, user distribution information/ISP & local connectivity info, client types and some idea if you understand how to curate content/run a server, that's a really vague question. The small SSD space is going to be a problem sooner rather than later with a big library and ongoing feeder duties, you have to transcode on shared CPU cores, even with all the other variables removed, you still have the potential of noisy neighbours affecting your server randomly. While it's certainly possible to run a Plex instance, Hetzner Cloud is more suited to feeder work if you are going to be using it for larger numbers of friends/family.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending