VPS recommendations | PlexGuide.com

VPS recommendations

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

kennsann

Experienced
Sep 14, 2019
I ran CPX41 too, downloaded 4k movies. Downloads tops at 250mb/s and uploads 200mb/s. Within 24 hrs was able to download 4TB. Buy yeah was not consistent. Would rather just get a dedi with hetzner with guaranteed 1gbps.

ONEILL

Citizen
May 2, 2019
I had the same vps from hetzner that @admin recomended , and it works great without any problems over 1 year solid without problems, i recommend hetzner .... first i even started with cloud ones , and moved to dedicated hetznet !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

ManisTV

Citizen
Donor
Donor
Mar 13, 2020
Without load anticipated user numbers, load data, user distribution information/ISP & local connectivity info, client types and some idea if you understand how to curate content/run a server, that's a really vague question. The small SSD space is going to be a problem sooner rather than later with a big library and ongoing feeder duties, you have to transcode on shared CPU cores, even with all the other variables removed, you still have the potential of noisy neighbours affecting your server randomly. While it's certainly possible to run a Plex instance, Hetzner Cloud is more suited to feeder work if you are going to be using it for larger numbers of friends/family.
thanks, I will keep it in mind! And I hope that I will not get any noisy neighbors :D Basically, I don't care for the SSD space. I got intrigued by the NVMe SSD. As for feeder, I am downloading everything from my other "Cheap" VPS.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Yeah I've been slowly upgrading my content. I had a lot of WEB-DL's and 720p content and have been loading more 1080p content.

34 euros a month right? Not too bad. I currently live in California. How would the latency be with the euro server? Or do they have servers in the US? Definitely can afford that compared to buying hard drives monthly, even though hard drives are getting more affordable. With Hetzner, what's their policy for port forwarding and running stuff like Sonarr and Radarr?
Hey @dullahanmediaco I found it faster to simply set everything up and download new--as @Admin9705 said.
Get the server up and going sooner rather than later so you'll know what is hard to find. Some of those older and "random" shows are hard/impossible to find at any quality. I've manually downloaded using torrents and I still have open requests from users...

I use Contabo (EU) and there's no problems streaming to the US. Netcup (EU) was also great.
Netcup downloaded faster, but Contabo has a larger SSD for the money. No other noticeable difference. Contabo has US locations now, so I'm planning on getting a new VPS there and keeping the EU one for myself.

---> I'd be really interested to hear how many active users people have compared with how much they spend per month for their server(s). I'm trying to find a good balance.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Spending more doesn't directly equate to more users as such, it depends on how those users connect, if they direct play or need to transcode and if they are doing so concurrently. Some providers (like Contabo or Netcup) enforce an average policy that can mean bandwidth is an issue on a busy server, some like Hetzner only count outbound data in the 20TB allowances for Cloud and it's arbitrary anyway as you just backup and restore to a new instance. The limiting factors tend to be how fast you can pull from GDrive and how good the routing/peering/bandwidth is to the client, then you get into the world of pain that is CPE and users, if they have a poor quality connection, or someone on it's saturating the uplink, or they have a crappy client and it's connected by wifi (imagine a first gen fire stick connected via wifi and sandwiched between a solid brick wall and an RF shielded TV on a slow a** 4Mbit ADSL connection with Jimbob Jnr torrenting).

The general advice I would give is that for a small friends/family server where people understand that they are getting something for free on the basis of following rule 1 in life, a VPS is generally OK, but you're better off limiting your upload/download and CPU/IO for things like NTTP RAR/PAR work so as to leave enough in reserve that people can use Plex without issue. On a dedicated box, it's less of an issue as you don't have to worry about shared cores/connectivity, but you pay more. Comparing VPS' on the same provider is also problematic as due to the 'noisy neighbours' issue, you could have a node to yourself, or it's maxed out.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Spending more doesn't directly equate to more users as such, it depends on how those users connect, if they direct play or need to transcode and if they are doing so concurrently. Some providers (like Contabo or Netcup) enforce an average policy that can mean bandwidth is an issue on a busy server, some like Hetzner only count outbound data in the 20TB allowances for Cloud and it's arbitrary anyway as you just backup and restore to a new instance. The limiting factors tend to be how fast you can pull from GDrive and how good the routing/peering/bandwidth is to the client, then you get into the world of pain that is CPE and users, if they have a poor quality connection, or someone on it's saturating the uplink, or they have a crappy client and it's connected by wifi (imagine a first gen fire stick connected via wifi and sandwiched between a solid brick wall and an RF shielded TV on a slow a** 4Mbit ADSL connection with Jimbob Jnr torrenting).

The general advice I would give is that for a small friends/family server where people understand that they are getting something for free on the basis of following rule 1 in life, a VPS is generally OK, but you're better off limiting your upload/download and CPU/IO for things like NTTP RAR/PAR work so as to leave enough in reserve that people can use Plex without issue. On a dedicated box, it's less of an issue as you don't have to worry about shared cores/connectivity, but you pay more. Comparing VPS' on the same provider is also problematic as due to the 'noisy neighbours' issue, you could have a node to yourself, or it's maxed out.
great advice @Datamonkeh

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Still curious--and I did say active users. I'm just wondering about average ratios (total cost to number of users). Obviously there's a lot we can't control but that doesn't mean the data would be useless (at least that's what I think). ;)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
It’s not so much the data would be useless, more the data can’t easily be used as the basis for any meaningful comparison without way, way more data points than concurrent users and price and a way bigger sample size. Even then you’d need some very large caveats that would make anyone reading them really wary about making a comparison. Also consider that we’d all need xx users playing (not transcoding) files of the same bit-rate and as we’re not P4S sellers, that’s unlikely to happen, at best you’ll get ‘I have had x users online and playing without reported issues’ but you can’t extrapolate from that easily, especially in a VPS as it varies from node to node depending on load (noisy neighbours etc.)

Last edited:

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Yeah, I mean active users as in people who commonly use Plex in a month versus the amount the server owner spends in a month.

I really don't think you need the deep dive to get a general (useful) idea...🤷‍♂️

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, I mean active users as in people who commonly use Plex in a month versus the amount the server owner spends in a month.

I really don't think you need the deep dive to get a general (useful) idea...🤷‍♂️
The number you're looking for (account/device limit) has no relation to what you're trying to measure it against (cost of server) and is going to be pretty irrelevant to anyone not trying to run a P4S service.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
I'm trying not to overspend and still supply my peeps with enough power. By comparing that to how much people are spending per active user, I can figure out if I'm getting hosed or not.
I really don't understand why this is such a difficult concept.
What is P4S service? Pay for Service service? I'm not trying to make money, but they are absolutely helping with server costs and I want to figure out the best balance where we aren't paying more than we need. Like, does it make sense to invite a few more friends so they can enjoy the benefit but then get a beefier server? Or just stay with the 5 right now and keep it small.
I do want to share with a wider group of family and friends, because I think this is awesome, but I want to understand if the cost per active user generally scales equally, or if there's a point where it becomes more cost effective for everyone.

I've put all this work in, there's no reason my people shouldn't reap the benefits, but in order to have more than just me on a server, I have to upgrade and I'm trying to get a ballpark understanding of what that means instead of just doing trial and error. In the end, I will always pay more than everyone else, but I don't want to waste money if I can help it.

fr0sty

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Jul 8, 2018
Dude, your making this hard. Jump in discord and ill chat with you.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Things you want to ignore (it's nearly 2am, i'll have missed something):
  • Host location
  • Client location
  • Underlying virtualisation technology
  • Node hardware
  • Number of clients/node
  • CPU time guaranteed/ratio of user to cores
  • Storage type
  • Storage IO share
  • Noisy neighbours/over sold nodes
  • Guaranteed/burst bandwidth
  • Bandwidth cap/average policy
  • Routing/peering/bandwidth to gsuite from host
  • Routing/peering from host to client
  • CDN
  • File format/bit-rate/container type/subs
  • Users connection type/speed
  • Users client type/capabilities (because transcoding of A or AV are likely to be problematic for CPU time)
  • Number of concurrent users (users streaming at the same time).
  • The other services running (NNTP/Torrents, the 'arrs, Ombi/Tautulli, Trakt if you use a dedicated feeder etc.)

Things you're interested in:
  • 'active users (as in people who commonly use Plex in a month)'
  • 'amount the server owner spends in a month'
The answer to what you ask is whatever the current cap on devices/accounts is (1 admin, 14 user and whatever the latest revised pin limit is?) and whatever the cheapest VPS that'll run plex/rclone is (pretty low end). But that's not going to help you, because it's not actually what you want to know is it?

dcybergeek

Citizen
Jun 19, 2020
Btw, a nice new option is the new VPS from Netcup.
I am currently using netcup root server 15 euro a month ( which has 480 Gigs of SAS drive) and gsuite drive. The server is doing all the main work from downloading film to post-process transcode films and hosting plex.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
SSD over SAS for the tiny price difference
I am currently using netcup root server 15 euro a month ( which has 480 Gigs of SAS drive) and gsuite drive. The server is doing all the main work from downloading film to post-process transcode films and hosting plex.
Probably want to review that, €14.99 buys you 800GB of SSD on Contabo, or 600GB of SSD on Netcup G9 VPS'.

bxta

Citizen+
Donor
Jun 11, 2019
Im using a Netcup RS 4000 G9. Great Power, big SSD, 2.5 Gbit Network and a good Prince. 120TB a month Traffic is more then enough for me.

dcybergeek

Citizen
Jun 19, 2020
SSD over SAS for the tiny price difference

Probably want to review that, €14.99 buys you 800GB of SSD on Contabo, or 600GB of SSD on Netcup G9 VPS'.
Woah, guess I had purchased it during the wrong time then. Will surely consider Contabo, heard some good things about them. What say?

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Woah, guess I had purchased it during the wrong time then. Will surely consider Contabo, heard some good things about them. What say?
They've worked well for me. Since they only offer a monthly contract, if you don't like them it's not hard to try someone else.

dcybergeek

Citizen
Jun 19, 2020
They've worked well for me. Since they only offer a monthly contract, if you don't like them it's not hard to try someone else.
My monthly cycle is not that far off, 9th. Gonna get Contabo before that and move all to there. Cheers brother!

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending